Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. (42755 Views)

Bamboo, Nairabet, Abokifx: CBN Unfreezes Bank Accounts Of 440 Persons, Companies / CBN To Block Bank Accounts Of 18 Companies (Full List) / Fines: CBN Deducts N5.61bn From Accounts Of Three Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Omudia11: 8:24am On Jul 23, 2019
But wouldn't there be due process in transferring any landed property to her name? Or would it automatically be hers?
Psoul:
Best option. Marry someone u love. Build love and trust. Give your spouse all your bank details. If u uses ATM, disclose the PIN to ur spouse. In case of emergency or even death, atleast your hard earned money will not go to someone that never shared in the struggle to make the money.

If peradventure I die today, my wife will still have access to my bank transaction. She would go begging anyone(Probate Court, Bank Manager or a Lawyer) to help her release her husband's money....God forbid.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Omudia11: 8:35am On Jul 23, 2019
So if you have ten houses and someone tries to swindle or claim ownership of your house which you toiked to build, you would let them get away with it without stress.

It is only in Nigeria that we such mentality.
Bill Gates, Dangote are all rich but they continue to work hard everyday to make more money. The bank is not the owner of any money kept there, they are only helping people secure the money. So why should a person who has the legal right to that money abandon it just because of due process which he's too lazy to follow?
femi4:
See stress....its better you make your own wealth and stop chasing shadows

2 Likes

Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Godyke(m): 8:45am On Jul 23, 2019
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Godyke(m): 8:50am On Jul 23, 2019
Lovelyn451:
How can somebody even use their parents as next of kin

Who would you prefer to use if you happen to be single and an only child of living parents. Your boyfriend /girlfriend or cousins I believe

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by AdeOracle(m): 9:04am On Jul 23, 2019
laudate:

The wife was not one of the executors, because they were in the middle of a divorce case, before the man died. sad She didn't even know he had a will, so she disputed it's validity when it came to light.

The probate registry is a very busy place, and you need to go from one office to another to submit different documents and follow up.

Most of the time, the probate staff are too busy to even attend courteously to your enquiries, except you are willing to tip them quite well.

So I guess you are one of the lucky ones. undecided

Oops,. well once they are in the middle of a divorce , you guys have a leverage over her.
The Probate office is always busy like you said , I was lucky as well but I know bureaucracy and protocol.
Not branding them beggars oh,but I always make sure I tip them whenever I come around and they did all the submitting for me .

The Naija factor,. nothing goes for nothing
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by yemolee2001(m): 9:48am On Jul 23, 2019
I am looking for how to withdraw my father's money from his account too after his death. Although we know his password but unfortunately his ATM expired few days to his death. The money is not up to 500k and he did not legally married to his wives but I am his next of kin. The bank is first bank.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by ediko5(m): 10:05am On Jul 23, 2019
A very accurate analysis.

Thank you pocohantas for this great insight.

If only the Nigerian government can really harness BVN
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Iamsammy(m): 10:18am On Jul 23, 2019
konny1:

Ok
so u copy that full novel just to write OK? Smh
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by laudate: 10:36am On Jul 23, 2019
Duggedised12:
my own is when there is an objection ,how does the person objecting go about it? e.g my sister from another woman is applying for letter of administrative over our fathers bank accounts ,how do i object?
Go to the probate registry and place a caveat on it.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Duggedised12(f): 10:37am On Jul 23, 2019
laudate:

Go to the probate registry and place a caveat on it.
OK thanks.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Psoul(m): 11:20am On Jul 23, 2019
Omudia11:
But wouldn't there be due process in transferring any landed property to her name? Or would it automatically be hers?

My wife doesn't need Change of Ownership to inherit my property. If I die leaving cars behind, will she need change of ownership to drive my cars.
If I leave landed property which she has access to their supporting original documents, will she require change of ownership to develop the property?

Where the major issue lies is in the case of my money in the bank. So for this reason, she must have all details while I am still very much alive. If I die, more than half of the money may enter other pple's hand before she can withdraw it. She will be subjected to strict conditions to be able to claim her husband's money.....Nooo... I can't subject my family to dat. Though no one knows who will die first.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by raphy(m): 12:38pm On Jul 23, 2019
This one they are saying thank you..
Make una no rush go kill person o.so una go wan get all the millions some bad guys de here...de follow this thread with something in mind.

Well done sha me I be orphan the only thing my late mum left me with Godly wisdom and faith to make in life.that's the important thing to leave fornur children not money or property .property can get burnt money can get stolen but with faith all things are possible.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Water101(f): 12:46pm On Jul 23, 2019
Check signature
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Crixina(f): 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
Thanks Op
I have not read something this informative in a while here.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by chiogoezubem(f): 2:36pm On Jul 23, 2019
Ok... following.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by doctore212(m): 3:47pm On Jul 23, 2019
Omudia11:
You're fvcking olosho but when you're done you'll come here to call women olosho. How are you different from the olosho you're fvcking?

Nonsense and olosho.
But just wait,
Imagine life without Olosho
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by whysquare4real(m): 3:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
pocohantas:
Thank you...

Objections, suggestions and experiences are welcome smiley

Cc: Laudate.
I think someone only need 3 documents. My wife just claimed her deceased father's fund from 2 different banks recently. the process is not that cumbersome. She is not even the next of kin. here are d documents she used

Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by laudate: 10:11am On Jul 24, 2019
whysquare4real:

I think someone only need 3 documents. My wife just claimed her deceased father's fund from 2 different banks recently. the process is not that cumbersome. She is not even the next of kin. here are d documents she used
Please in which state was this? Can you kindly clarify?
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by whysquare4real(m): 9:01am On Jul 25, 2019
laudate:
Please in which state was this? Can you kindly clarify?
The accounts were domiciled in Gombe state but she claimed it in another state.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by blacknp(m): 9:34pm On Jul 26, 2019
gafaardy:
Thanks for the job well done!
May I add that in Oyo state if the money in the deceased account is not more than One Million Naira, an application could be filed at the magistrate court without going through the rigour of obtaining a letter of administration.
Equally if it is more than a million naira,it is advisable one obtain a letter of administration from Customary Court of Appeal if it is available in the state because it easier and faster to obtain a letter of administration from Customary Court of appeal than Probate Registry of High Court
Customary Court is limited to only properties with customary certificate of occupancy granted by a Local Government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by laudate: 3:17am On Jul 29, 2019
whysquare4real:

The accounts were domiciled in Gombe state but she claimed it in another state.
The process in Gombe State appears to be simpler than in Lagos State, then....
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by 7Alexandre: 7:35am On Jul 29, 2019
whysquare4real:

You said someone only need three (3) documents...

From your picture I can only see one document STATUTORY AFFIDAVIT IN SUPPORT OF NEXT-OF-KIN

What are the two (2) remaining documents...

I'm getting ready to recover my Late Mum Funds from her Bank Accounts in First Bank...
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by laudate: 10:58am On Jul 29, 2019
7Alexandre:

From your picture I can only see one document STATUTORY AFFIDAVIT IN SUPPORT OF NEXT-OF-KIN

I'm getting ready to recover my Late Mum Funds from her Bank Accounts in First Bank...

Oga, go to the probate registry to find out the correct set of documents that need to be submitted. It appears to differ from one state to the other....
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 29, 2019
guru03:

Have you resolve yours?
no net yet.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by gafaardy(m): 5:05pm On Jul 30, 2019
blacknp:
Customary Court is limited to only properties with customary certificate of occupancy granted by a Local Government.
who told you that? Na lie
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by igbanbajo(m): 2:54pm On Aug 03, 2019
pocohantas:
Following the thread on unrecovered funds from a deceased's bank account
https://www.nairaland.com/5314151/how-banks-bankers-getting-richer

I noticed the reoccurring misconception of the next of kin. I will like to address some of these misconceptions and how to recover such funds (to the best of my knowledge).

THIS IS FOR PERSONS WHO DIED INTESTATE (WITHOUT LEAVING BEHIND A VALID WILL)

1: Who is a next of kin (NOK)?
The NOK is the closest living (mostly) blood relative to an individual. For some people, it could be their spouse, parent, siblings, children…even friends.

2: What is the NOK entitled to?
NOK is just a contact person, he/she is NOT AUTOMATICALLY ENTITLED TO THE DECEASED’S ESTATE. Emphasis on automatically because there are situations where the NOK would eventually double as the BENEFICIARY.

3: Who is a BENEFICIARY?
A beneficiary is someone who receives all or part of the deceased's estate.

4: What then is the NOK for?
You might be wondering, since the person won’t be given your funds without paperworks, why fill that space in your Account opening forms? Well, the NOK is that person to be contacted in event of emergencies or whenever the need arises. It shouldn't be a minor.

PROCEDURES TO RECOVER FUNDS FROM A DECEASED'S BANK ACCOUNT;

A:—The survivor(s) to the deceased should head to the Probate Registry in a High Court to apply for an administration of deceased estate/properties. This application must be accompanied by a DEATH CERTIFICATE and can be done IN PERSON OR THROUGH A LEGAL PRACTITIONER.

The process to get the LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION is very much the same across states, though there might be slight differences. Application must contain the following;

-Full names of deceased.
-Date of death of deceased.
-Last residence before death.
-Name of proposed administrators

You will be guided on every other form to fill or required documents and identification.

Persons that can apply for the letter of administration are generally called NOKs and are classified in this heirarchy;

– Surviving spouse(s) of the deceased
– Children of the deceased
– Parents of the deceased
– Brothers or sisters of the deceased of full blood or the children of such sibling.
– Brother or sister of the deceased of half-blood or the children of such sibling.
– Grandparents of the deceased
– Uncles and aunts of full blood or their children

B:—The Probate Registry would give you a letter of confirmation to be taken to banks, financial houses as well as stockbrokers the deceased shared business relationships with. This will enable them disclose the deceased's financial standing as of that date.

C:— Return the confirmation to the Probate Registry. They will add up the deceased’s balances and apply their charges. You will be required to make payments. After payments, the paperwork for you to be administrator would be concluded.

D:—Upon issuance of the Letter of Administration, it should be taken to all the (SUSPECTED) banks where the deceased had accounts for claims. The beneficiary can then decide to open an estate account to move the funds or take it cash. When he/she opts for the latter, the bank would issue a bank draft.

NOTE:
>>2 guarantors (preferably with landed properties) would be required to fill some documents, to support their application to the probate registry, before the letter of administration can be issued.

>>The process could take some time because publication would be made in the gazette or newspaper. This is to give any interested person the opportunity to object and file a caveat to the grant of letter of administration to the applicant.

>>Objection may be raised within specified period for filing a caveat. In the absence of any, the letters of administration would be granted.

>>There are various fees to be paid before its application is evaluated and approved.
However, once approved by the Probate Registry, an estate fee of 5-10% (depending on the state) of the estate's value is paid to the State Government where the Letter of Administration is made and approved.

>>Is there a statute of limitation on filing for the estate of a dead relative? If there is, how long is it?

No, there isn’t. Whenever the relatives are up to it, they would be given the funds upon presentation of necessary documents.

>>What happens when the relatives do not know all the deceased’s bank accounts?

In this era of BVN, the relatives can state this request at the Court. They would help with an order mandating the bank to make known all accounts linked to the deceased.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by Curdlebug(m): 10:43am On Aug 04, 2019
Who can help me check how much is in my late sisters first bank account, so i know if its worth the stress and the process? I am her next of kin
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by superman1073: 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2019
Educating and informative.
Thank you. @pocohantas
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by mujeebkoko(m): 5:38pm On Aug 17, 2019
pocohantas:
Thank you...

Objections, suggestions and experiences are welcome smiley

Cc: Laudate.
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by whysquare4real(m): 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2019
7Alexandre:

am sorry I didn't know that the other two pics were not attached and I have already switched phones can't find the other pics. The other documents are letter from the court asking the bank to transfer the deceased estate to the beneficiary(in this case my wife) and a death certificate. I can assure u that the process is not cumbersome as u might think. u may ask the court to give u a certain letter of administration
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by whysquare4real(m): 9:13pm On Aug 24, 2019
laudate:

The process in Gombe State appears to be simpler than in Lagos State, then....
yes I think so
Re: How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. by 7Alexandre: 11:39pm On Aug 24, 2019
whysquare4real:

am sorry I didn't know that the other two pics were not attached and I have already switched phones can't find the other pics. The other documents are letter from the court asking the bank to transfer the deceased estate to the beneficiary(in this case my wife) and a death certificate. I can assure u that the process is not cumbersome as u might think. u may ask the court to give u a certain letter of administration

Ok, thank you...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's The Price Of A Bag Of Cement In Nigeria Right Now? / Skrill (moneybookers) Now Accepts Nigerian Account / Halima, Dangote’s Daughter Takes Charge Of Company’s Commercial Operations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.