Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. (913 Views)

Nigerians Are Brainwashed According To South Africans / Obasanjo: It's Ridiculous To Believe That Buhari Has Died (Video) / Idahosa: Oshiomhole Refused To Believe Obaseki Has Finished Him Politically (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 23, 2019
NL_NATION

There are so many absurd things society has taught US when growing up. And these beliefs, sayings, and ways of living are taught by masses of people.

People who know no better, have been misled, and are in one word – BRAINWASHED. And that brainwashing has likely been passed down onto you.

Here are few DUMB things society has brainwashed you to believe. And NONE of it is doing you any good:

IT'S THE GOVT. JOB TO IMPROVE YOUR QUALITY OF LIVING

Look, the government is running a whole country full of millions upon millions of people. It’s not possible to improve everybody’s lives individually, and it’s NOT the governments job to do so.

Though they’ll have you believe otherwise. The saying – ".... LIFE is what you make of it" holds true. YOU are responsible for your life and how it turns out.

If you believe your life is ruined or has no hope of getting better because of the government, what a "lost, confused little sheep" you must be.
You might be offended by that but I’m trying to wake you up to reality.

BEING SELFISH IS A BAD THING

Actually, being selfish is a GOOD thing. When you put yourself first before anybody else, guess what? That puts YOU in a position to better help others.

For example, If you put your happiness first, you’ll be in a better position to make others around you happy. Where as If you put someone else before you, your happiness will suffer. Because you’re putting yourself last, and not giving yourself any self-care.

Whether that’s through donating to charity, supporting causes you care about, helping your family, or whatever. The next time someone tells you being selfish is a bad thing, question them. Because there are benefits to being selfish.

IT'S RUDE TO SPEAK YOUR MIND

This is another dumb concept society will have you believe. Just think of a time when you were in school, college, at work, or at a family dinner and you were told “It’s rude to speak your mind”. Was it really? Or is it just the fact that people HATE the truth and LOVE to be in denial?

The truth is the truth, and there’s no escaping it. If you don’t speak your mind and be frank, your voice will never be heard. And If you pretend and hold back on what you want to say, you’ll drive yourself to be that miserable, quiet & obedient person who nobody cares about.
You’ll just live to exist and nothing more.

THERE'S TOO MUCH COMPETITION

No matter what field, career, job or business you get into, of course there’s gonna be competition. There’s 7 billion people on the fucking planet.

But that shouldn’t stop you from doing the things you believe in, want to do, MUST do, and are passionate about doing. The person who tells you – “There’s too much competition in that industry, why bother” is nothing but a loser.

Those are the words of someone who has given up on their dreams, their goals, and themselves.
They’re the words of someone who has quit because of the lies and the stories they’ve told themselves.

Competition doesn’t = success or failure, YOU do. So don’t let that quitter turn out to be you.

JUST BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE

Yes, being grateful for where you are, what you have and how far you’ve gotten makes sense. But society’s definition of being grateful is to
settle for less instead of settling for more.

The person who tells you to “just” be grateful for what you have has given up on life. They’ve got to a point where they no longer believe it’s possible to live life on their terms.

They believe it’s no longer possible to live up to their potential and have more than they’ve got.
So they’ll compare themselves to people who have less than they do to justify where they’re at.

Be careful of the poison some people are convincing you to drink. If you drink enough of it, you’ll kill your dreams, beliefs, ambition and motivation permanently. If you know deep down you’re capable of so much more, then pursue that and don’t let the naysayers stop you.

CONCLUSION

In other words, to change your circumstances you’ve first got to CHANGE YOURSELF and THE ACTIONS you take.

"In a society that tries to standardize thinking, individuality is not highly prized." – Alex Grey 

"I apologize if you felt that I was being mean with my answer. I wasn’t. Its just that I am a straight forward person." – Unknown 

"Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person you become." – Jim Rohn 

"Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."– Nido Qubein

TJ

5 Likes

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by SLAP44: 9:08pm On Jul 23, 2019
Another one

THAT BUHARRI HAS INTERGRITY

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by indigenous234(f): 9:10pm On Jul 23, 2019
Good
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Natoski5(m): 9:11pm On Jul 23, 2019
OP send me your number, ma send you card....

Making a lot of sense
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Officialgarri: 9:15pm On Jul 23, 2019
I saw a post on front page earlier today, and a lot of comments advised the boy to continue with a labourer job. Infact, I was shocked by the number of people liking the comment undecided

1 Like

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 23, 2019
There are some points you raised in which you misunderstood and made a narrow submission. Let me analyze the two I could.

1. Selfishness is bad. This statement holds true everywhere and I'll explain that with a practical example. Someone knocks on your door say for N200 to buy rice 'cause he's broke and has no idea of where his next meal would come from. You on the other hand has N500 on you, and you don't know where your next meal would come from. Both of you are almost in the same shoes except that you stand a better chance of surviving. Out of generosity, you give that N200 or N100 while having N300 or N400 on you. By the laws of nature, things are likely to gravitate towards you 'cause you gave than when you'd told him you didn't have. You can't give millions to charity when you become a billionaire if when you were a thousanaire, N200 was hard for you to give. Do you know why world Billionaires give massively to charity? They need the prayers of those they give to survive. Selfish people don't change overnight.

2. There's too much competition. For those of us who are business students, we know that too much competition is bad and if you must survive in such an environment, there are things you ought to do differently. You don't just dive into a highly competitive niche with this singular mentality. A lot of businesses have windup due to this mentality.

3 Likes

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 23, 2019
Natoski5:
OP send me your number, ma send you card....

Making a lot of sense

All credits to the original poster. Thanks for the nice gesture btw, bro! I'm good here, really.
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by HappyPagan: 9:19pm On Jul 23, 2019
A virigin in Israel gave birth to a man that died for you. cheesy

And is coming back for you to give you a crown and a new earth... cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Charleys: 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2019
H
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
There are some points you raised in which you misunderstood and made a narrow submission. Let me analyze the two I could.

Great. Let's have it, sis
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by thesicilian: 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2019
This is a highly intelligent write up, I must say.
I learnt very late in life that selfishness is not a bad thing, that it is sometimes good, and even better, to put yourself first. And it was at that point I started making significant progress in life.

1 Like

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Frankwest77(m): 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2019
front page material
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by OneKinGuy(m): 9:30pm On Jul 23, 2019
Brilliant post.
I think you posted in the wrong section tho!
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 23, 2019
GrabHisBalls:

You raised sum good points here. Couldn't agree more.
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by DaniDani(m): 9:41pm On Jul 23, 2019
SLAP44:
Another one THAT BUHARRI HAS INTERGRITY

The dumbest of all. In fact, the real 'dumb thing'.
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 23, 2019
lordskid:

You raised sum good points here. Couldn't agree more.
Let me add that both giving and selfishness are habits. Selfishness on the other hand is a disease to those who have it. You'll know a selfish man from when he has, while you'll know a generous man from when he has nothing. If you're the type that read up biographies or documentaries of world Billionaires, they claim to have been giving when they didn't really have 'cause they hated people suffering. Dangote donates to the buildings of mosque and churches considering that he's a Muslim. Why is that?

2 Likes

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 23, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Let me add that both giving and selfishness are habits. Selfishness on the other hand is a disease to those who have it. You'll know a selfish man from when he has, while you'll know a generous man from when he has nothing. If you're the type that read up biographies or documentaries of world Billionaires, they claim to have been giving when they didn't really have 'cause they hated people suffering. Dangote donates to the buildings of mosque and churches considering that he's a Muslim. Why is that?

The writer z talking about SELF-LOVE not SELFISHNESS. I think both ain't same. Those nice billionaires u mentioned didn't start with "philanthropic acts" but they first BUILD UP themselves in order to help the poor in magnificent ways.
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jul 23, 2019
lordskid:

The writer z talking about SELF-LOVE not SELFISHNESS. I think both ain't same. Those nice billionaires u mentioned didn't start with "philanthropic acts" but they first BUILD UP themselves in order to help the poor in magnificent ways.
He talked about selfishness but buttressed that point with self-love. For you to be selfish, you just have to love yourself first. Note: you can be selfless and still love yourself.

As for your other point. Giving actually starts from when you don't have. Having only makes it easier, while a selfish person will never give even in abundance.
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
He talked about selfishness but buttressed that point with self-love. [s] For you to be selfish, you just have to love yourself first.[/s] Note: you can be selfless and still love yourself.

As for your other point. Giving actually starts from when you don't have. Having only makes it easier, while a selfish person will never give even in abundance.

Are you kidding??

Maybe. But the writer meant for people to be CAUTIOUS in the GIVING of one's INVALUABLE resources to others eg Time, not about "giving of cash". No one becomes poor by GIVING. I understand ya opinion, bro!
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 12:27am On Jul 24, 2019
lordskid:

Are you kidding??

Maybe. But the writer meant for people to be CAUTIOUS in the GIVING of one's INVALUABLE resources to others eg Time, not about "giving of cash". No one becomes poor by GIVING. I understand ya opinion, bro!

What motivates selfishness if not self-love? The op didn't categorically state 'time' or whatever you term invaluable, but he did state donations. cheesy I know selfishness isn't exhibited only when money is involved.
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Flier: 12:36am On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
What motivates selfishness if not self-love? The op didn't categorically state 'time' or whatever you term invaluable, but he did state donations. cheesy I know selfishness isn't exhibited only when money is involved.

lordskid:

Are you kidding??

You guys woke me up with your noise,please allow me to enjoy my sleep you can continue your argument tommorow
Both things you guys are arguing about is hereditary so either rich or poor, selfishness or givers are always the same
What I mean is, no amount of write ups can change selfish people or givers it’s in their blood

1 Like

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:

My bad, bro! I left out the preceding paragraph:

......Here’s ANOTHER example. If you put yourself first financially, instead of giving away and borrowing what you don’t have, when you are better off financially, you’ll be in a better position to help others.

Whether that’s through donating to charity, supporting causes you care about, helping your family, or whatever.

I think you understand his REASON now!
Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 24, 2019
lordskid:

My bad, bro! I left out the preceding paragraph:

......Here’s ANOTHER example. If you put yourself first financially, instead of giving away and borrowing what you don’t have, when you are better off financially, you’ll be in a better position to help others.

Whether that’s through donating to charity, supporting causes you care about, helping your family, or whatever.

I think you understand his REASON now!
You're forgiven. grin

1 Like

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 24, 2019
Flier:
You guys woke me up with your noise,please allow me to enjoy my sleep you can continue your argument tommorow
Both things you guys are arguing about is hereditary so either rich or poor, selfishness or givers are always the same
What I mean is, no amount of write ups can change selfish people or givers it’s in their blood
I have already stated that, but that isn't why we were arguing. grin Go back to sleep.

1 Like

Re: Dumb Things Society Has Brainwashed You To Believe. by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 24, 2019
Flier:

You guys woke me up with your noise,please allow me to enjoy my sleep you can continue your argument tomorrow

Abi u dey feel am? wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Herdsmen Carry Arms For Self-defence, Fulani Group Tells Obasanjo / Man Cries Out Aftr His Whole Store Burnt To Ashes By The Onitsha Tankr Explosion / Nigerians On Twitter Unleash Anger On Mrs Buhari For Supporting Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.