Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa (33450 Views)

UNILAG Ranks Best In Nigeria And 8th In Africa / ABUAD Beats Covenant University; Ranks As Best Private University In Nigeria / NUC Ranks Ahmadu Bello University No 1 In Nigeria (See Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Olumyco(m): 6:06pm On Jul 26, 2019
This is webometric ranking and I don't think its the most authentic one.

The most common is Times Higher Education Ranking
And their ranking for 2019 ranks University of Ibadan and Covenant as number one in Nigeria and number 6 in Africa.

To me this webometric might be misleading.
Times Higher Education has been in this business and they uses different factors that to rank.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-africa#survey-answer

2 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2019
LIES...

Bring us a credible source.
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Elemosho478: 6:11pm On Jul 26, 2019
Olumyco:
This is webometric ranking and I don't think its the most authentic one.

The most common is Times Higher Education Ranking
And their ranking for 2019 ranks University of Ibadan and Covenant as number one in Nigeria and number 6 in Africa.

To me this webometric might be misleading.
Times Higher Education has been in this business and they uses different factors that to rank.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-africa#survey-answer

Say kudos to them and spend your time on Something else

4 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Alanpoza007: 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2019
Admitwithschola:

Are you not ashamed? Comparing a university which started just 25 years ago to other universities which have been existing even before Nigeria's independence.

One thing is sure, Covenant is a top university in Naija and is doing really well. It comfortably rubs shoulders with the Naija greats such as UNN, Unilag, UI etc.

Before you say oh, na Covenant man, no, I didn't attend Covenant.
Don't mind these shameless lots. It's not even 25 years ago. Covenant Uni is just 17 years old-founded in 2002.

3 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Alanpoza007: 6:20pm On Jul 26, 2019
Maxcollins042:
The VC of the University of Ibadan must be somewhere now muttering under his breath.

But on a serious note what are the criteria employed at arriving at this ranking?
The UI VC doesn't mean to mutter under his breath. UI is ranked ahead of UNN overall. There are 5 components/criteria of ranking universities. The report here is stating that UNN only outpaced UI and others in terms of just one criteria, which is research influence (citations). This is referring to the number of references made to works published by lecturers in UNN by other researchers all over the world. This contributes 30% of the ranking. Other criteria include teaching (the learning environment) – 30%, Research (volume, income and reputation) – 30%, International outlook (staff, students, research) – 7.5% and Industry income (knowledge transfer) – 2.5%. So you see the bigger picture?

5 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by tjskii(f): 6:20pm On Jul 26, 2019
Good, maybe ui will rest now. With all their. Plenty shakara
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by 2fine2fast(m): 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2019
This news is false.
The op must have checked just one of the criteria.
For the total of all the factors, UI still retains number 1
in Nigeria.
Nairaland mods should try and verify these simple information before publicising.

http://webometrics.info/en/Africa

4 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Anambralstson: 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2019
Omoluabi9:
LIES...

Bring us a credible source.
So Guardian news site is not reliable grin

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Rizan3349: 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2019
Congratulations, UNN is always ahead of you...the only institution that restores the dignity of a man... Kudos my good people!

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by TSRC: 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2019
seanwilliam:
it is nt unilag,ui and oau, itis nt making sense
The only public university that should be mentioned alongside UNN is UI.

The rest still dey learn. The quality of alumni from UNN blows out whatever Unilag or OAU has to offer.

OAU is even the worse. Covenant is a far better representation of the south west.

2 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2019
FeedbackNG:
The new webometric ranking (July 2019 version 8.1.0 BETA), has ranked University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), as number one in Nigeria, 17 in Africa and 1,108 in the world.

The ranking is based on quality of research output in the year under review. While Harvard University, Stanford University and University of California, Berkely in United States (U.S.), made the top three with 8,704,969; 7,702,739 and 6,431,594 citations respectively, UNN ranked 1,108th position with 108,209 citations.

With the ranking, UNN became the only Nigerian university in the top 20 ranking in Africa, while University of Ibadan (UI) with 86,756 citations ranked number two; followed by University of Ilorin with 74,245 citations; Covenant University with 55,844 citations and University of Lagos (UNILAG) with 41,121 citations in the fifth position.

While UI ranked 1,246 worldwide; University of Ilorin ranked 1,328; Covenant University 1, 511 and UNILAG ranked 1,726 on the global table.University of Cape Town topped the continent’s lists with 996, 898 citations.Also, while eight U.S. universities made the top 10, two United Kingdom universities completed the list. This, however, indicates that U.S. remains a flag bearer on the global education scene.

Source: https://guardian.ng/news/unn-ranks-number-one-in-nigeria-17-in-africa-1108-globally/

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by TSRC: 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2019
It is a shame though that Nigeria has no university in the top 10.

Too bad.
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Elemosho478: 6:39pm On Jul 26, 2019
Anambralstson:

Guardian is now a Propagandist website

UI still lead UNN in Webometrics ranking

UI is on the 15th position while UNN is on the 36th position

UI is still number 1 in Nigeria on Webometric website

I wonder where UNN and Guardian get their source from

2 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Lovelyn451(f): 6:41pm On Jul 26, 2019
AkeNathan:

That one na excuse?

Una no get knife for kitchen or you no see rope put for fan.

Mctheeww undecided
lol...

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 26, 2019
Anambralstson:

That report IS FALSE!
We know your antics...

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Elemosho478: 6:44pm On Jul 26, 2019
TSRC:

The rest still dey learn. The quality of alumni from UNN blows out whatever Unilag or OAU has to offer.

OAU is even the worse. Covenant is a far better representation of the south west.

On the Webometric Ranking UI is still number 1 in Nigeria and 15 in Africa

This is fake news and Propaganda from Guardian

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Anambralstson: 6:46pm On Jul 26, 2019
Elemosho478:

Guardian is now a Propagandist website

UI still lead UNN in Webometrics ranking

UI is on the 15th position while UNN is on the 36th position

UI is still number 1 in Nigeria on Webometric website

I wonder where UNN and Guardian get their source from
January edition, we are talking of ranking that was released 4 days ago

3 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by yarimo(m): 6:47pm On Jul 26, 2019
Mtewwwww undecided embarassed undecided UNN ko MMM ni

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by TSRC: 6:52pm On Jul 26, 2019
Elemosho478:

So it didn't make the Africa top 5 or top 10?
Them there is nothing to be proud of.

What is the difference between first and second position in Nigeria?

It's like arguing over Harvard and Yale. Though in this case both schools are thousand times worse.

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Elemosho478: 6:53pm On Jul 26, 2019
Anambralstson:

January edition, we are talking of ranking that release 4 days ago

Well anyway sha
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 26, 2019
LZAA:
grin grin
Afonjas in sifia pains
Cc yorubawarrior mrchineke bastardmod
afamed and sarrki will soon call it IPOB university grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by seanwilliam(m): 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2019
TSRC:

mumu interms of alumni influence and popularity, it is abu, unilag and ui. but considering all criteria that determine being the best, the follow 5 are the best of all time as per 9ja standard.
unilag
ui
oau
abu
unn..
note: unilag &ui beat unn in all means.
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by arinzos(m): 7:07pm On Jul 26, 2019
UI is ahead of UNN Overall.
I am a Lion.but What Most of you usually do in this Forum baffles me.
Congratulate the University and Move on.
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Brightdude007: 7:07pm On Jul 26, 2019
The LION and PRIDE of Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by seanwilliam(m): 7:13pm On Jul 26, 2019
unilag has been consistent in the top spot. talk of products-especially of recent- unilag beats unn. in corporate settings, unilag has the best collection of alumni. an average unilag grad tends to settle faster in corporate world. cc; jarus.
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by Anambralstson: 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2019
Elemosho478:

Omoluabi9:
That report IS FALSE!
We know your antics...

yarimo:
Mtewwwww undecided embarassed undecided UNN ko MMM ni

July 2019 edition UNN ranking position in the world is 1108, while UI is 1246
Below is the link
https://www.webometrics.info/en/transparent

1 Like

Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by arinzos(m): 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2019
seanwilliam:
mumu interms of alumni influence and popularity, it is abu, unilag and ui. but considering all criteria that determine being the best, the follow 5 are the best of all time as per 9ja standard.
unilag
ui
oau
abu
unn..
note: unilag &ui beat unn in all means.
Even for Naija standard sef..na only UI fit pass UNN no other University.
See as you de list am like say you dn go all the universities.
Naija standard weh de biased.
We go with world ranking and any ranking will only place UI and Covenant ahead of UNN period.which means in public Universities,na only UI pass UNN.
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by arinzos(m): 7:17pm On Jul 26, 2019
seanwilliam:
unilag has been consistent in the top spot. talk of products-especially of recent- unilag beats unn. in corporate settings, unilag has the best collection of alumni. an average unilag grad tends to settle faster in corporate world. cc; jarus.
Employable graduates in Nigeria places covenant and UI ahead of UNN.
Any other thing you guys are saying are trash.
An Average UNILAG graduate indeed.

I don't mince words. I know who is ahead of me and who is not.
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by darkelf: 7:22pm On Jul 26, 2019
Maxcollins042:
The VC of the University of Ibadan must be somewhere now muttering under his breath.

But on a serious note what are the criteria employed at arriving at this ranking?

I think its based on strictly academic output

However, other things like teaching and research facilities, hostel facilities, enrolment as well as graduation rates were probably not taken into consideration because I don't see any reason why any outdated Federal University should be in the top 50 in Africa. Please note that I am UNILAG graduate and even did my MSc in UNILAG but I will take covenant over any other Fed Universities anytime, anyday
Re: BETA: UNN Ranks Number One University In Nigeria, 17 In Africa by seanwilliam(m): 7:24pm On Jul 26, 2019
arinzos:

Even for Naija standard sef..na only UI fit pass UNN no other University.
See as you de list am like say you dn go all the universities.
Naija standard weh de biased.
We go with world ranking and any ranking will only place UI and Covenant ahead of UNN period.which means in public Universities,na only UI pass UNN.
lol. but i tell u mybroda in the lord, ui and unilag beat unn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Provisions Hustle Every Nigerian Student Went Through / Osun Polytechnic Student Found Dead In His Apartment (photo) / Who Can Solve This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.