Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

edit - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / edit (10116 Views)

Poll: Which Is Harder?

IT: 32% (57 votes)
Medicine: 47% (82 votes)
Both: 20% (35 votes)
This poll has ended

Edit Your Videos And Films At Isaacpyo Studios (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

edit by buzugee(m): 4:20pm On Oct 15, 2010
do you agree
Re: edit by AjanleKoko: 4:58pm On Oct 15, 2010
Sure.
Even gari is 'harder' than amala grin
Re: edit by buzugee(m): 12:28am On Oct 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Sure.
Even gari is 'harder' than amala grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin funny
Re: edit by Katsumoto: 9:01pm On Oct 16, 2010
buzugee:

do you agree

You are generalising; its not that simple. There are a few sectors in IT such as programming that generally produce smart guys but all areas of medicine require smart people. Well maybe except dentists. grin
Re: edit by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 04, 2011
I guess 'harder' means more brain tasking in this case. Anyway, it depends on the platform of comparism you're using as a yardstick. IT has so many disciplines like Networking, E-commerce, Web development, Programming, Hacking e.t.c. Medicine is a professional course on its own and its undoubtedly 'harder' to study than most IT courses. Medicine deals with human lives. Don't forget that it is also studied in Universities, unlike IT courses that are readable at computer institutes.

Unless you're comparing an IT guru (the likes of Bill Gates) to a Medical Wiz (like Ben Carson) it wouldn't be too comparable.
Re: edit by drmoney: 1:08am On Jan 04, 2011
Well as a medical doctor, I always feel IT is harder. Seriously, U dont need to be really smart to study medicine-U only need to be able to stay up long hours studying. Once you can do that, all the concepts are really easy to grasp.Wait, dont crucify me yet. The IT guys might be seeing it differently.
Maybe if I was into IT, I'd think medicine was soooo difficult too.
Just my thinking.
Re: edit by nana(f): 1:15am On Jan 04, 2011
Having studied in the health field in the past and now in the IT field,i would say both.
Re: edit by darkman200: 1:44am On Jan 04, 2011
nothing is hard once you understand the fundamentals,
Re: edit by mendax: 2:20am On Jan 04, 2011
nana:

Having studied in the health field in the past and now in the IT field,i would say both.

how can BOTH be HARDER? i've noticed we also have 'both' option in the voting column
Re: edit by Madeu(m): 2:23am On Jan 04, 2011
Post off nl
Re: edit by 190: 2:28am On Jan 04, 2011
wat is harder!!

Even Mods sef dey shake head 2 this angry angry

It is harder,

Its more difficult than medicine

Please correct this error, the whole world is seeing this~
Re: edit by moderattor: 2:35am On Jan 04, 2011
am a programmer
and i tell u
IT is so simple and interesting
every part of it is a new adventure
always something new
always
you can set up robots(programming) that do most of the work.
You dont have to be heartless
nor swear an oath b4 u start your carrier.
You dont watch telly bc u are miss the whole world of information.
You can work in any posture and environment
as long as ur lappy is charged.
All ur clients and workers can be virtual and going into millions
yet non of them ever seen ur face
nor beg u to treat a patient on credit.
How many medical active doctors have invented a thing?
They are 24 7 treating the same disease old way,
hoping that one reasearcher will come up wit smth better one day.
As a doctor can u dare answer a call during a sugery. Lol
the only part of medicine i admire is gynaecology,
bc sm beutiful ladies can lie on ur table the position u want and gn naked at ur word
and fall asleep at ur needle.
IT is da bomb!
Re: edit by KanuChris: 2:50am On Jan 04, 2011
IT is wider than Medicine and far more difficult compared to medicine. For instance I've been into computer programming for the past six years and programming is just "the far you look the more you see". Its sometimes frustrating to compile and debug codes, you're trying to determine a pre-defined action rather than just studying an object. Why is IT people richer than every body? because they go extra-miles to,
Re: edit by okeyxyz(m): 3:01am On Jan 04, 2011
are u guys kidding me? IT cannot b harder than medicine. IMPOSSIBLE. medicine has been studied and practised for thousands of years and conitnues to be a mystery till tomorrow. IT is a very recent area of knowlege, a very small branch of mathematics, and we'd almost discovered all about how IT works. there rest of developments in IT are just applications & not discoveries. there are still millions of biological processes science is yet to understand.
How can IT be possibly harder? I bow for una o. shocked
Re: edit by Onlytruth(m): 3:26am On Jan 04, 2011
I would say IT -Programming, because it involves invention of new things. Medicine only requires you to understand existing things like biomedical and pharmacological things.
You don't need to invent anything in your entire career as a doctor. A programmer invents throughout his career, and debugging codes is a real pain (if you are not using any of the IDEs), i.e. if you are really doing deep stuff outside the box which is where IT (programming) pros really distinguish themselves. 

I would admit that both require different types of brain power though: medicine needs to memorize volumes of stuff; IT needs you to remember very difficult abstract things like syntax and algorithms.
Re: edit by buzugee(m): 3:34am On Jan 04, 2011
definitely IT. oowweeee frontpage grin
Re: edit by Jenifa1: 3:38am On Jan 04, 2011
It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Someone who has affinity for numbers, programming and computer science will find IT easier than medicine.
whereas someone whose favorite subject in school is biology will find medicine easier

it depends on the person. One person's weakness is another person's strength.

I would say medicine is harder just because there are regulations in terms of steps and processes you have to go through. Otherwise, it's all up to the individual how much hardwork they put into it. ex. the harder working doctor will have a better career than a lazy doctor. same for IT.
Same goes with all other professions too. whether historian, college professor, investment banker or whatnot. none is harder than the other. it all depends how much work and energy you put into it or are required to put into it.

if you pick the right career, the hardwork will be fun for you. i.e you will enjoy doing the work.
Re: edit by reindeer: 3:51am On Jan 04, 2011
Jenifa_:

Someone who has affinity for numbers, programming and computer science will find IT easier than medicine.
whereas someone whose favorite subject in school is biology will find medicine easier

I would say medicine is harder just because there are regulations in terms of steps and processes you have to go through. Otherwise, it's all up to the individual how much hardwork they put into it. ex. the harder working doctor will have a better career than a lazy doctor. same for IT.
Same goes with all other professions too. whether historian, college professor, investment banker or whatnot. none is harder than the other. it all depends how much work and energy you put into it or are required to put into it.

if you pick the right career, the hardwork will be fun for you. i.e you will enjoy doing the work.

Receive a whole lotta of Jah blessings for this post.
This is quite an interesting topic. . . .for ss3 kids grin grin grin
Re: edit by MissEZ(f): 3:55am On Jan 04, 2011
Why must you even compare, totally different areas of specialization
Re: edit by saokea(m): 4:03am On Jan 04, 2011
It's difficult to say. I believe all courses have got their bits and bits. I consider studying languages (e.g. Yoruba) as hard a course. I am a yoruba man and a medical doctor.
Medicine requires deligent and smart people and I guess the same is for law, accounting, pharmacy and IT.
The only difference with Medicine and IT is that if there is an error on the part of the doctor, the patient may die, but with IT, you probably reboot the system or get a new computer.
Life can not be replaced. Isn't it?
Re: edit by okeyxyz(m): 4:12am On Jan 04, 2011
Onlytruth:

I would say IT -Programming, because it involves invention of new things. Medicine only requires you to understand existing things like biomedical and pharmacological things.
You don't need to invent anything in your entire career as a doctor. A programmer invents throughout his career, and debugging codes is a real pain.   

seriously?
so all the millions of medicines, pills, injections, surgical equipments and procedures were invented by carpenters ehn? in IT u can create any rubbish and through into the market, but not so in medicine. there r thousands of new medicines invented every year, but very few are approved by the authorities. have you ever visited a pharmacy store? surely all those medicines on the shelves and stock room are inventions, don't you think?
Re: edit by Slim101(m): 4:23am On Jan 04, 2011
I believe the poster means "I.T." i.e. Information Technology. I guess it should have been corrected since. My take: I'd say I.T. is more interesting and brain tasking than most disciplines (depends on the sector u are in I.T.) As a programmer, sometimes who might almost go 'mad' writing a program. And I'll say u'll need a first degree to delve into I.T.
Re: edit by greenlabel: 4:27am On Jan 04, 2011
How can one compare the two, Medicine deals with human lives, you cannot practice as a doctor doing try and error. However, in IT you can learn from mistakes and then go back to correct the mistakes you made, it will only cost you time and maybe money, but any mistake made by a qualified, endorsed and experienced medical doctor will result to the loss of a human life, which cannot be replaced. In conclusion, the both are hard and easy in different ways, but you will never know which obstacle course is the most challenging if you haven't passed through it.
Re: edit by Sammy107d(m): 4:35am On Jan 04, 2011
I have equal respect for all fields except Humanities and the Arts. Great appreciation for music and visual arts, but I consider History, theater, language and the likes intellectually inferior.
Re: edit by Onlytruth(m): 4:52am On Jan 04, 2011
okeyxyz:

seriously?
so all the millions of medicines, pills, injections, surgical equipments and procedures were invented by carpenters ehn? in IT u can create any rubbish and through into the market, but not so in medicine. there r thousands of new medicines invented every year, but very few are approved by the authorities. have you ever visited a pharmacy store? surely all those medicines on the shelves and stock room are inventions, don't you think?

Doctors don't invent medicines, Pharmacists and biomedical engineers do those.
The only thing doctors do is to diagnose disease and write prescriptions or perform surgery.

Diagnosing a disease is almost like debugging a code. But then programmers do more after the diagnosis. They create stuff that fixes the problem. Doctors pass the buck to pharmacists. Even complex diagnosis require other professionals such as medical lab scientists and radiologists. People mistake these professionals for doctors but they are not.

The programmer is the equivalent of all of them put together, except where hardware is concerned. Even in hardware, they write machine level codes that control them: firmware, bios, etc.
Re: edit by OAM4J: 4:55am On Jan 04, 2011
Jenifa_:

Exactly!

Even being a fine artist is hard for someone who is not art inclined.
Re: edit by Nobody: 5:01am On Jan 04, 2011
no! n!!o no!!! ya all wrong, cos i do programing, graphics such as autoCAD, 3DsMAX, REVIT and corel DRAW and website design both static and dynamic i find them fun and easy to but i agree medicine is much more tasking also Urban and Regional Planning aka town planning is even more tasking than IT.
Re: edit by doggyall: 5:44am On Jan 04, 2011
Medicine because Human beings are difficult to study.
Re: edit by gallivant: 5:54am On Jan 04, 2011
All forms of Education are ''hard'' ,if you like.You struggle with the one that pays better, wink
Re: edit by Jenifa1: 6:06am On Jan 04, 2011
gallivant:

All forms of Education are ''hard'' ,if you like.You struggle with the one that pays better,  wink

yup.

That's why I always feel that people who are good at, or love maths/ science are lucky. Their careers pay the best. It doesn't mean that maths is more difficult than english. just that one pays better than the other based on the need of the society at the point in time. too bad for you if math or science are not your strength. doesn't mean you are dumb. just means you are unlucky to have to work harder to compete with a guy who is having fun doing his programming or what have you because he's naturally better at it.

my own general advice for people is to pursue what they love. if there isn't money to be made at it, pursue it part-time or as a hobby. who knows you might become of you in the future.
the most successful at their career are those who are passionate about what they do.
Re: edit by Nobody: 6:21am On Jan 04, 2011
This is a no contest medicine is harder. All u need in IT is determination (once u know d basics) and u could be making a living off it in a year. For medicine after knowing the basics in secondary school you need to put in atleast 5years before you can start earning a living!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ladies Shouldn't Be Allowed To Be Judges / CJN Bars Judges From Uploading Personal Pictures On Social Media / Diamond Bank, Groups In Face-off Over Workers’ Retrenchment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.