Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku (11382 Views)

Election Rigging In Kano Busted! Returning Officer Exposes Irregularities, Fraud / Buhari Has History Of Bringing Looted Funds To Nigeria – Atiku / It Is Sad That Two Global Banking Giants Are Leaving Nigeria - Atiku Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by zakim(m): 6:22am On Jul 30, 2019
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the February 23, 2019 poll, Atiku Abubakar, has said Nigeria must address electoral lapses that cause rigging of election in the country, “especially those lapses that led to the alleged rigging of the 2019 general elections.” Atiku, a former Vice President in a statement on Monday by his Media Office, said one way of addressing the lapses was to implement the salient recommendations of the National Electoral Reform Committee (NERC) headed by former Chief Justice of the Federation, Justice Mohammed Lawal Uwais.

He said the second was the creation of Electoral Crimes Commission. The former Vice President said one of such recommendations, which would enhance the independence of the supposedly Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), was the recommendation that the power to appoint the chairman and board of the INEC be taken away from the President and given to the Judiciary.

He said Nigeria today faces a lot of challenges, chief of which are security and economic challenges, adding that to effectively tackle these, a government must have an honest and indisputable mandate. “Obviously, the 2019 elections were several steps down from the 2015 elections in terms of credibility, and as a democrat, I am challenging that election in the right arena, the courts. “However, leadership does not just entail getting justice for the past. A real leader knows that in terms of justice, prevention is better than cure.

“I have been pondering on the question, how can Nigeria have credible elections? Our electoral system needs not just to be brought up to date, by the acceptance of the amendments to the Electoral Act passed by the eight National Assembly, we also need to be up to tomorrow, by taking steps today to ensure that the lapses that made it possible for the 2019 elections to be manipulated or rigged are addressed. “Of all three arms of government, the Judiciary is the least affected by elections, meaning that it has the highest objectivity in matters relating to the INEC. “It is therefore in the best position of the three arms to appoint a chairman and board members for the electoral body that are impartial, competent and patriotic.

“This recommendation may seem like a small change, but my experience in life has taught me never to underestimate the big difference small changes can make. “Where you have an administration whose mandate is considered tainted, such a government will lack sufficient moral authority to tackle the myriad of problems this great nation currently faces.

“I conclude by saying that I do not believe in blaming. Leadership must be solution-oriented, not blame-focused. This is why I proffer this patriotic advice. Nigeria must be great again and all hands must be on deck to achieve that,” Atiku said.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/how-to-address-election-rigging-in-nigeria-atiku.html

7 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by callmeVIBRANT(m): 6:28am On Jul 30, 2019
dear sir,
pls when are you cumming.. i cant wait for you cum and sell NNPC..

i dedicate this ftc to my queen..
..drops pen

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by Simplyleo: 6:29am On Jul 30, 2019
[s]
zakim:
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the February 23, 2019 poll, Atiku Abubakar, has said Nigeria must address electoral lapses that cause rigging of election in the country, “especially those lapses that led to the alleged rigging of the 2019 general elections.” Atiku, a former Vice President in a statement on Monday by his Media Office, said one way of addressing the lapses was to implement the salient recommendations of the National Electoral Reform Committee (NERC) headed by former Chief Justice of the Federation, Justice Mohammed Lawal Uwais.

He said the second was the creation of Electoral Crimes Commission. The former Vice President said one of such recommendations, which would enhance the independence of the supposedly Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), was the recommendation that the power to appoint the chairman and board of the INEC be taken away from the President and given to the Judiciary.

He said Nigeria today faces a lot of challenges, chief of which are security and economic challenges, adding that to effectively tackle these, a government must have an honest and indisputable mandate. “Obviously, the 2019 elections were several steps down from the 2015 elections in terms of credibility, and as a democrat, I am challenging that election in the right arena, the courts. “However, leadership does not just entail getting justice for the past. A real leader knows that in terms of justice, prevention is better than cure.

“I have been pondering on the question, how can Nigeria have credible elections? Our electoral system needs not just to be brought up to date, by the acceptance of the amendments to the Electoral Act passed by the eight National Assembly, we also need to be up to tomorrow, by taking steps today to ensure that the lapses that made it possible for the 2019 elections to be manipulated or rigged are addressed. “Of all three arms of government, the Judiciary is the least affected by elections, meaning that it has the highest objectivity in matters relating to the INEC. “It is therefore in the best position of the three arms to appoint a chairman and board members for the electoral body that are impartial, competent and patriotic.

“This recommendation may seem like a small change, but my experience in life has taught me never to underestimate the big difference small changes can make. “Where you have an administration whose mandate is considered tainted, such a government will lack sufficient moral authority to tackle the myriad of problems this great nation currently faces.

“I conclude by saying that I do not believe in blaming. Leadership must be solution-oriented, not blame-focused. This is why I proffer this patriotic advice. Nigeria must be great again and all hands must be on deck to achieve that,” Atiku said.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/how-to-address-election-rigging-in-nigeria-atiku.html
[/s]
How is this related to your long awaited cuming angry

19 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by B1ak3: 6:35am On Jul 30, 2019
When a goat is advising you where to keep your yam the best thing to do is to ignore the advise because all he is after is the yam

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by EdiAbali: 6:44am On Jul 30, 2019
Cool
Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by jerryunit48: 6:45am On Jul 30, 2019
In another development I just read somewhere that Ambode has dropped APC and is now in PDP , can anyone confirm that?
Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by helinues: 6:45am On Jul 30, 2019
We have seen Tinubu's poster for 2023

Atiku should stop pretending as if he is not interested in 2023 presidency.. Those who supported his failure this year would still back him.

Finding ways to remain relevant until.

Atiku where is your 2023 poster?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by ikezuora4689(m): 6:45am On Jul 30, 2019
God we are in 2019...we really need to improve our voting system.....I don't need to stand in the sun for hours jst to vote.. ..this discourage alot of people from voting.......we need need online electronic voting where the results we be transmitted immediately some one vote..... Nigerians we will following the results and knw who is leading......not after election ince will pretend they are counting the vote.. ...after days of manipulating with the results they will announce anybody they need the winner....I still wonder how this people count the vote of millions of Nigerian without getting tired or making mistakes....we really need to upgrade our voting system

3 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by zabuur: 6:45am On Jul 30, 2019
Good morning every one.

From my own naive mind, I doubt If democracy will ever work in Nigeria with the way we run it.

You will never see major oppositions supporting ruling government throughout their terms. All that'll keep happening is parties merging to remove the govt, raising false alarms, bad mouthing the ruling party. Finding means to make citizens feel the ruling party is nothing but chaos.

When we gullibly elect new govt, new opposition emerges and the cycle begins again.

Nigeria has approximately 200million citizens. And several millions are eligible to vote and be voted for, so no matter the party ruling, there will always be millions of oppositions. Leaders of the opposition parties will instead spread lies and deceits amongst their followers and we all know bad news spreads faster, hits harder and makes better head lines than good news.

In reference to all Atiku has said and with due respect to him, millions believe Buhari won and millions also believe he lost.

9 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by AntiWailer: 6:47am On Jul 30, 2019
Stop contesting

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by Simplyleo: 6:48am On Jul 30, 2019
B1ak3:
When a goat is advising you where to keep your yam the best thing to do is to ignore the advise because all he is after is the yam
Gbamsolutely bro

9 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by helinues: 6:49am On Jul 30, 2019
jerryunit48:
In another development I just read somewhere that Ambode has dropped APC and is now in PDP , can anyone confirm that?

Would you leave shell job for teaching job?

Just asking oo

14 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by yrex01(m): 6:50am On Jul 30, 2019
Ase for some pipu to eat n digest.
Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by nrexzy: 6:50am On Jul 30, 2019
So technically wats he saying?

2 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by Dannyset(m): 6:50am On Jul 30, 2019
grin
Atiku is now a Motivational Speaker. Wetin we no go see!

26 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by MYBLOCUS: 6:52am On Jul 30, 2019
Story for the gods , pdp teaching apc what they know how to do best , let me say ex ringers

4 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by Afamed: 6:53am On Jul 30, 2019
From a Dubai Server promoter

12 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by Boyooosa(m): 6:54am On Jul 30, 2019
this one still never learn

3 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by erico2k2(m): 6:54am On Jul 30, 2019
B1ak3:
you guys dont know, how do you think the curtail of the ruling power comes into place? its is as a result of the opposition saying stuff like this cos when they too come into power they too will play by the same rule! typical example, Direct payment of civil servants from govt purse to workers!
Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by shineeye1: 7:08am On Jul 30, 2019
Any Referendum any day in Nigeria will favour divesting the president of the powers to appoint inec chair and confer same on a determined apex body of judiciary
Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by easyfem(m): 7:10am On Jul 30, 2019
What a nice advice , u deserve award of best loser

4 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by simple250: 7:16am On Jul 30, 2019
How did you and OBJ address it during your time tongue

4 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by VictorEkwere: 7:17am On Jul 30, 2019
Simplyleo:
[s][/s]
How is this related to your long awaited cuming angry
Never you underestimate the big difference that small changes can make. I hate politics but from a distance I know that its wrong for INEC Chairman to be appointed by the president who will also partake in election that Will determine his stay in office thus as long as this process remains we can never have credible election in Nigeria. It may not affect you today but in future you will be judge by your conscience for denying Nigeria a better future.

1 Like

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by kaeycea(m): 7:18am On Jul 30, 2019
Brain dead people have invaded this thread. None is interested on the merits or de-merits of Atiku's proposal. Rather stupid emotional comment based on partisanship.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by danot1030: 7:19am On Jul 30, 2019
Atiku is the biggest electoral scam ever emerge in Nigeria politics.

First he propagated the fake server theory just to convinced his gullible supporters that he was rigged, in order to further convinced them he's preaching how stop rigging.

Atiku is frustrated because APC led government succeeded in countering his Dubai electoral manipulation strategies, beside that PDP participated massively in the rigging just that APC out smarted them.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by Dandsome: 7:19am On Jul 30, 2019
Okay
Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by verifiablefacts: 7:19am On Jul 30, 2019
jerryunit48:
confirm it from that same 'somewhere'

5 Likes

Re: How To Address Election Rigging In Nigeria – Atiku by chiboy1116: 7:21am On Jul 30, 2019
This nigga de give advice ? grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ize-Iyamu To Train, Rehabilitate ‘Agberos’ In Empowerment, Transitional Program / Pictures From APC Presidential Campaign Rally In Gombe / Ex Kaduna Governor Mukhtar Yero Joins APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.