Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,760 members, 7,865,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 09:11 AM

Era Of Candidates Imposition At Elections Gone - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Era Of Candidates Imposition At Elections Gone (506 Views)

Woman Turns Her Fridge Into A Wardrobe In This Era Of Change (pix) / LG Poll: Rivers APC Members Protest Candidates’ Imposition / List Of Candidates For Anambra 2014 Governorship Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Era Of Candidates Imposition At Elections Gone by supereagle(m): 5:27am On Oct 17, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan has told the political class that the era of imposition of candidates for public offices on the electorate is gone for good.

The president spoke at a state banquet organized in his honour at Government House, Owerri.

“The days of imposition of candidates on the people is no longer there. We are no longer living in a military era when, sometimes, commissioners were appointed from the Office of the Chief of General Staff. Those days were the time of military junta. We are now in a civilian dispensation where the votes of the electorate must count”, Jonathan said.

It was his opinion that if the votes of the electorate do not decide who becomes the governor, senator, lawmaker or local government chairman of any constituency, then the nation cannot be said to be operating a democracy.

“I am totally committed that we must practice, in a democratic setting, a system where the electorate must decide their destiny by using their votes to appoint their leaders”, the president said.

He dismissed the claim that he is not in good terms with Governor Ikedi Ohakim.

“There is this story making the round that there are some problems between the governor (Ohakim) and myself. In politics, people say whatever they like. Outside Bayelsa State, I have visited Imo State more than any other state. Since I came in as vice president, I think this is the fourth time of coming to Imo State.

Even my wife visits Imo State more than any other state,” Jonathan stated.

“There is no basis for anybody to insinuate that there is a problem between the president and either the governor or the government of Imo State. I hear such stories but I always laugh. I tell you (Ohakim) to remain focused. Don’t mind what people talk.

“I have no problem with any governor. I don’t believe that quarreling with people is the best way of playing politics. As the president of the country, I do not have problem with anybody. I do not even have any problem with the Kwara State governor that wants my job. Before he declared his intention to run, he told me. If we had problems, he wouldn’t have had the courage to come to my residence to tell me he wanted my job. I believe that is the best way to play politics”.

He lauded the efforts of Ohakim to change the face of Imo, saying, “I quite appreciate the efforts of the governor. I can assure you that the federal government will partner with you to make sure that Nigeria of our dream comes through.”

Responding, Ohakim said Igbo people are with Jonathan.

“Don’t be surprised that when you get back to Abuja, you will read that the projects you commissioned in Imo State are non-existent. The only regret I have is that your trip is brief. I know you will come back again to commission some of the projects you cannot accommodate during this tri. The entire Igboland is totally with you”, the governor stated.

Many Imo people and some visiting dignitaries, including the governors of Abia, Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom States, Chief Theodore Orji, Timipreye Silver and Obong Godswill Akpabio respectively, graced the function.

Meanwhile, all the markets in Owerri municipality were yesterday shut down in honour of the visiting president who arrived Friday evening, from Anambra State, on a two-day official tour of Imo State.

At the palace of the traditional ruler of Owerri, Eze Emmanuel Njemanze, Jonathan expressed gratitude to Imo royal fathers for their support to his administration, adding that he was working harmoniously with Imo indigenes to see what the Federal Government could do to help the state improve on its present lot.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/era-of-candidates-imposition-at-elections-gone/

(1) (Reply)

James Ibori To Be Extradited To Uk:Dubai Court / Dubai Court Extradites Ibori To London / Black Americans Storm Anambra?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.