Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,120 members, 7,828,989 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface (1270 Views)

Drive It Forever And Ever: 10 Cars That Can Last A Lifetime / Throwback Cars That Nigerian Politicians Drove In The 90’s / 9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by obafemee80(m): 8:43am On Aug 04, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFI_NWMcOas&feature=youtu.be

Last month, the United States of America celebrated the 50th anniversary of the moon landing which saw Astronaut Neil Armstrong become the first person to ever set foot on a surface other than Earth.

As amazing as that first moon landing was in 1969, the arrival of the Lunar Roving Vehicles (LRV) in the subsequent missions gave the astronauts tremendous capability to explore the Moon's surface far beyond Apollo landing sites.

The first LRV joined the crew of Apollo 15 in 1971, and with two more blasting into space for Apollo 16 and the final lunar mission, Apollo 17.

The Lunar Roving Vehicle, jointly developed by Boeing and General Motors, was technically a car as it has four wheels and two seats.

But instead of using solid rubber tyres, a metallic mesh tyre was developed to allow the rover cruise easily through the Moon's powder-like surface.

The LRV is a four-wheel-drive electric vehicle whose motors produced an equivalent of just 0.25 horsepower and a top speed of approximately 8 mph (14 km/h).

Unlike most modern Electric cars like Tesla Model X that has rechargeable powerpacks, the LRV's two zinc-silver batteries are not rechargeable. It has a total output was 8.7 kWh, and will go 56 miles (90 kilometers) before dieing.

Four LRVs were built, three of which went to the Moon and are still there. They drove a combined distance of 57 miles (91.7 km) and none of them failed to get astronauts back safely.

The entire LRV fleet had a price tag of $38m (₦13.7b) , which in 2019 would equate to approximately $265m (₦95.8b) or about $66.2m (₦23.9b) per Rover.

https://autojosh.com/a-look-at-the-n13-7b-lunar-roving-vehicles-the-first-cars-that-explored-the-moons-dusty-surfaces/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like

Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 04, 2019
Electric cars as far back as the 50s ?

America!

E don tey wey nyash dey back .

Na make man just know im mate.

2 Likes

Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by decatalyst(m): 9:12am On Aug 04, 2019
I am almost forced to say none of the countries out of Africa, except a few in the middle east, is Nigeria's mate!

See rightful thinking and foresight!

We need to bow our heads in shame if at this time and age, nah pencil factory and commissioning of open latrines we are celebrating.

1 Like

Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by ricki: 10:00am On Aug 04, 2019
is this moon surface or Nevada desert !!!

how you go carry vehicle for inside shuttle ??

where is the space?

extra weight ?

think my ppl..........stupidity is not an excuse
Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by decatalyst(m): 10:05am On Aug 04, 2019
ricki:
is this moon surface or Nevada desert !!!

how you go carry vehicle for inside shuttle ??

where is the space?

extra weight ?

think my ppl..........stupidity is not an excuse

Your level of stupidity rendered me speechless, ewu.

Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by ricki: 12:29pm On Aug 04, 2019
decatalyst:

Your level of stupidity rendered me speechless, ewu.

That's ok

Prove to me they actually went to the moon please..... if you do I give you $1000.

And I stand by my words..... this is open to anyone.
Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by tck2000(m): 6:19am On Oct 30, 2019
.Chinese
Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by Abortedfetus(m): 6:36am On Oct 30, 2019
Nobody has ever been to d moon.
angry
Re: A Look At Lunar Roving Vehicles,The 1st Cars That Explored Moon's Dusty Surface by fabienjoe: 7:24am On Oct 30, 2019
ricki:

That's ok

Prove to me they actually went to the moon please..... if you do I give you $1000.

And I stand by my words..... this is open to anyone.

No one needs to prove anything to you. You've never been to the moon yourself so how would you recognize a proof if you see one? People that matter in the world already know so what difference does one inconsequential doubter living in one dysfunctional, corrupt, unproductive, inconsequential country make? America has already proved enough to the world.

(1) (Reply)

Stolen Car Found / 24/7 Mobile Car Wash In Lekki / My Classic Vw Beetle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.