Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy (23168 Views)

Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Banks Heading For ‘recapitalisation’ / Hire/charter Vessels At Norfin Offshore Shipyard / Pictures Of Norfin Offshore Shipyard In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by hidee20(m): 1:11pm On Aug 06, 2019
wwwtortoise:
shocked

Asians are gradually monopolizing the manufacturing industry.
The reason(s) are not far-fetched; they have low-cost production advantage, mass production support mechanism, technological dominace through research, . . . and the list goes on and on.

Power is gradually shifting to Asia and middle east. The only missing link in this movement is the world currency control stronghold by the British and USA.

I think also the Integrated circuits (ICs) design and manufacture is one short time advantage the US has. Once China is able to completely build an IC independently they will declare lack of confidence in USA economy sustainability( which is predicted to crash or have a heavy negative impact on USA economy as China is thier biggest creditor) and seek to become the new world foreign exchange currency,this they have started laying the groundwork by influencing countries to keep thier foreign reserve in thier currency.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by hidee20(m): 1:14pm On Aug 06, 2019
Netanyahu1:
Please remove technological dominance through research. Who dash them.

Makes research about Huawei multi billion dollar campus and research center in China and thier new processor and upcoming operating system for all platforms.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by hidee20(m): 1:24pm On Aug 06, 2019
ernieboy:
oga just say Asia, strike out middle east from that list and the singular reason they are dominating manufacturing is cheap labour, they are not technologically superior or even at par with the west yet as a matter of fact most of the tech innovations that drive those manufacturing plants still come from the west.

What about the alleged forced intellectual property transfer which is one of the bone of contention in the US-China war?.
Heard about a German manufacturing company that set up its factory where machines for production of soft drinks where produced only to discover a new set of of identical machines which where not made by the company.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by Ugosample(m): 1:27pm On Aug 06, 2019
wwwtortoise:
shocked

The reason(s) are not far-fetched; they have low-cost production advantage, mass production support mechanism, technological dominace through research, . . . and the list goes on and on.

Power is gradually shifting to Asia and middle east. The only missing link in this movement is the world currency control stronghold by the British and USA.

naa
power is not shifting anywhere

no more super power or whatever
what we will have from now going forward are power blocs
with the west still having slight advantage

technological dominance in Asia ? cheesy grin

more like intellectual property theft tongue

only Japan.comes close in the entire Asia

The major thing going for theae Asians are their amazing work ethic, discipline and focus
its second to none

these unfortunately are traits Nigger Africans don't have much
the ones who would have helped the continent have fled to thrive elsewhere
leaving the homeland for complete idiots to hold sway

tragedy
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by noble2faith(m): 1:30pm On Aug 06, 2019
Never mock GOD.

If you know, you know.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by Ugosample(m): 1:30pm On Aug 06, 2019
hidee20:

I think also the Integrated circuits (ICs) design and manufacture is one short time advantage the US has. Once China is able to completely build an IC independently they will declare lack of confidence in USA economy sustainability( which is predicted to crash or have a heavy negative impact on USA economy as China is thier biggest creditor) and seek to become the new world foreign exchange currency,this they have started laying the groundwork by influencing countries to keep thier foreign reserve in thier currency.

Chinese Yuan being the reserve currency of the world will put China in serious trouble cheesy grin

how will they be able to tinker with their currency they way they do by then.....

China has tried
But dem no reach

people used to say the same for Japan in the 70s
has Japan not reached their elastic limit? cheesy cheesy

China is heading to its own elastic limit too cheesy

not to talk of the system of govt they run not being sustainable
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by ernieboy(m): 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
hidee20:

What about the alleged forced intellectual property transfer which is one of the bone of contention in the US-China war?.
Heard about a German manufacturing company that set up its factory where machines for production of soft drinks where produced only to discover a new set of of identical machines which where not made by the company.
exactly, u are just re echoing the point I made earlier, Asia only has an edge because of cheap labour not technological advancement.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by tigerclaws: 1:33pm On Aug 06, 2019
[s]
GeneralPula:

[/s]
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by hidee20(m): 1:58pm On Aug 06, 2019
ernieboy:
exactly, u are just re echoing the point I made earlier, Asia only has an edge because of cheap labour not technological advancement.

They have already stole technology through partnerships,now they are building on it such as the 5G,processor and propose OS.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by mexzony: 2:07pm On Aug 06, 2019
wwwtortoise:
shocked

These people know how to make their population and manpower count.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by ernieboy(m): 2:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
hidee20:

They have already stole technology through partnerships,now they are building on it such as the 5G,processor and propose OS.
5g is a network protocol not invented by any single company what OEMS are doing is making network equipments that implement the protocol. as for the proposed huawei it is based on the android open source project.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by flex04(m): 2:17pm On Aug 06, 2019
thesicilian:
They caused an unnecessary death of several hundreds of people by not having enough life boats on board, they should have gone into bankruptcy years ago.

I should ask if that is their duty
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by rosamaris: 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
They tried oo to stay this long. I wish them all the best in their future endeavours.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by gnykelly(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2019
wwwtortoise:
shocked

That currency issue is being addressed by shanghai cooperative organisations SCO
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by hidee20(m): 2:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
ernieboy:
5g is a network protocol not invented by any single company what OEMS are doing is making network equipments that implement the protocol. as for the proposed huawei it is based on the android open source project.

Android open source unlike Google licenced versions which invariably means independence from Google in extension USA. If 5G OEMs is equipment based only I wonder why Nokia and Eriksson hasn't been able to manufacture thier own equipment and why countries like UK is testing the equipment for malware or backdoors that is alleged to serve the China government spying.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by seguno2: 4:02pm On Aug 06, 2019
James4bright:
During the civil war, a bomb was being manufactured by the biafrans which led to the death of many Nigerian soldiers. It was called "Ojukwu Bomb" and it was being formulated by a group of lecturers. Since then, my country can't even manufacture an ordinary pencil, long live biafra.

Are the former Biafrans not part of the Nigerians today who cannot manufacture an ordinary pencil?
Did you drink what you were supposed to shower with

1 Like

Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by veesion: 4:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
KingBarry:
Building ships since 1950's

2019 Nigeria still dey sleep
We no fit build speed boat

WTF

This country don use everything tire me
You should first ask if we have a country at all
You mean this contraption of injustice is a country
Ask your inner self this question also allow your inner self to answer you THANKS

1 Like

Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by Revolva(m): 4:36pm On Aug 06, 2019
ernieboy:
oga just say Asia, strike out middle east from that list and the singular reason they are dominating manufacturing is cheap labour, they are not technologically superior or even at par with the west yet as a matter of fact most of the tech innovations that drive those manufacturing plants still come from the west.

Help me tell am the guys knows noting about world economy

Abeg wetin concern me about Titanic jare
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by veesion: 4:40pm On Aug 06, 2019
seguno2:

Are the former Biafrans not part of the Nigerians today who cannot manufacture an ordinary pencil?
Did you drink what you were supposed to shower with
It is the other way around I suspect yours is irredeemable
How many talents do you see Nigerian government support
Many talents struggle from nothing to bring something up and sometimes even display such on our streets and roads in a bid to get attention or will you pretend not to have seen such around and even in News
HOW MANY of them HAVE BEEN SUPPORTED no ask yourself and answer yourself
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by Aidejay(m): 4:56pm On Aug 06, 2019
James4bright:
During the civil war, a bomb was being manufactured by the biafrans which led to the death of many Nigerian soldiers. It was called "Ojukwu Bomb" and it was being formulated by a group of lecturers. Since then, my country can't even manufacture an ordinary pencil, long live biafra.

intelligent people speaking and suddenly u appear
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by seguno2: 5:02pm On Aug 06, 2019
veesion:

It is the other way around I suspect yours is irredeemable
How many talents do you see Nigerian government support
Many talents struggle from nothing to bring something up and sometimes even display such on our streets and roads in a bid to get attention or will you pretend not to have seen such around and even in News
HOW MANY of them HAVE BEEN SUPPORTED no ask yourself and answer yourself

The Nigerian government includes the five Igbo states that made up Biafra. Have you forgotten
Stop shifting the blame for your non-performance. It won’t help you in any way.

1 Like

Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by godofuck231: 5:10pm On Aug 06, 2019
Omooba77:
New York(CNN Business) Harland and Wolff, the 158-year-old shipyard in Northern Ireland that built the Titanic, is preparing for bankruptcy.

The UK government named an administrator to oversee the company's restructuring, a Harland and Wolff spokesman said. The case is expected to be in a UK court on Tuesday.

The shipyard in Belfast employed about 35,000 at its pre-World War II peak in 1935. It has only 123 full-time employees today. It has not built a ship since 2003, when it built two ferries. Since then, Harland and Wolff has concentrated on renewable energy, including offshore wind and tidal turbines.

Workers have been occupying the shipyard for the last week and vowed Monday to continue to fight to keep it in business. The union expects to file in court on Tuesday to seek an injunction from the shipyard closing.

"We will not give up on this famous shipyard," said Michael Mulholland, a union organizer. "The occupation will continue — and our battle will continue."

It had been competing for a contract for two frigates for the British Navy, and had been seeking a £600,000 ($730,000) bridge loan to avoid bankruptcy while it waited to hear on that contract and another renewable energy contract that are expected to be awarded in the coming months. But it had not been able to get the bridge loan, making the bankruptcy process its only choice. The spokesman said it will be up to the administrator whether or not the company is able to stay in business or be liquidated.

Much of the world's cargo shipbuilding has shifted to lower-cost Asian manufacturers, and the business of building luxury cruise ships is dominated by European shipbuilders STX Europe, Meyer Werft and Fincantieri. Harland and Wolff and other UK shipbuilders lost out on that business to its European rivals decades ago.

The company is most famous for building the Titanic a bit more than a century ago. It started construction of the Titanic and two sister ships, the Olympic and the Britannic, for White Star Lines in 1909. The Titanic was nearly 900 feet long, making it the largest passenger ship at that time.

The shipyard completed the Titanic in 1912, shortly before its inaugural voyage in April of that year. The ship hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic and sank, killing 1,517 of the 2,223 passengers and crew on board.

The company was still successful even after the Titanic disaster and the World War I sinking of the Britannic. But with the growth of trans-Atlantic air travel after World War II, the shipbuilding industry started to shrink.

Harland and Wolff was nationalized in 1975. It was purchased by Fred Olsen Energy, a Norwegian offshore drilling company, in 1989, when it still had about 10,000 employees. That company, now known as Dolphin Drilling, itself filed for bankruptcy earlier this year and put Harland and Wolff up for sale. A deadline it had set for finding a buyer expired at 5 pm Belfast time Monday.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/05/business/titanic-bankruptcy-harland-wolff/index.html?

lalasticlala

wait till war breaks again and the grand mum warships Britain owns are sunk , the british sways hope the US will run to their aid, least they forget trump snaps and he might decide not to interfere , 1941 nazi near invasion didn't teach them nothing.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by MOVIC6: 6:02pm On Aug 06, 2019
Tos87:
Let them Turn it to a tourist attraction site.
I

And make $50 a per week
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by ernieboy(m): 8:13pm On Aug 06, 2019
hidee20:

Android open source unlike Google licenced versions which invariably means independence from Google in extension USA. If 5G OEMs is equipment based only I wonder why Nokia and Eriksson hasn't been able to manufacture thier own equipment and why countries like UK is testing the equipment for malware or backdoors that is alleged to serve the China government spying.
you are getting it wrong, Nokia does not manufacture network hardware, and yes I agree that huawei is probably going to be the first company to manufacture a market ready network hardware for 5 g that does not mean they invented pt created 5 g. as for the os the tech innovation behind it does not belong to huawei, they are merely piggy backing on an existing software innovation.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by futurism: 9:30pm On Aug 06, 2019
wwwtortoise:
shocked

Asia has been so, it is not just shifting bros but has shifted... The west is living on past glory. I had to attack some Americans on my feed today for talking about "human rights" against China.
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by SIRTee15: 1:21am On Aug 07, 2019
futurism:
Asia has been so, it is not just shifting bros but has shifted... The west is living on past glory. I had to attack some Americans on my feed today for talking about "human rights" against China.

The West productivity is dwindling...
The present generation's work ethic and discipline isn't as strong as their ancestors.....
What's even making it more difficult is lack of natural resources in the west....
Technology gap btw western nations and the rest is bridging, wage gap isn't....
Therefore it's much cheaper and convenient to manufacture in Asia...
The West needs to come up with a new manufacturing business model that's indepedent of mass production or labour wages since they've lost out on those 2 already....
They can look into developing industrial robotics, manufacturing automation, 3D printing and new materials....
Or else, 50 years down the line....
The whole of Europe and other western nations will resemble a struggling developing nation with a wide gap btw the rich and the poor, and little or non existent middle class....
I visited Winnipeg last week and I could notice the seemingly crack....
Re: The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy by futurism: 6:20am On Aug 07, 2019
SIRTee15:

The West productivity is dwindling...
The present generation's work ethic and discipline isn't as strong as their ancestors.....
What's even making it more difficult is lack of natural resources in the west....
Technology gap btw western nations and the rest is bridging, wage gap isn't....
Therefore it's much cheaper and convenient to manufacture in Asia...
The West needs to come up with a new manufacturing business model that's indepedent of mass production or labour wages since they've lost out on those 2 already....
They can look into developing industrial robotics, manufacturing automation, 3D printing and new materials....
Or else, 50 years down the line....
The whole of Europe and other western nations will resemble a struggling developing nation with a wide gap btw the rich and the poor, and little or non existent middle class....
I visited Winnipeg last week and I could notice the seemingly crack....
ego no go let them do that one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak At Dangote Factory In Ikorodu (More Photos) / Francis Atuche: Court Freezes ₦19.1 Billion Belonging To Ex-bank PHB MD / Preservatives Of Zobo Drink For 6 To 1yrs For Commerical Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.