Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,116 members, 7,953,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:04 PM

Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? (1509 Views)

Man From Gombe Constructs A Vehicle With Local Materials / »»» Do You Need A Car In PH ( Naija Or Foreign Used)? Let Us Know ««« / ♀️Are You Buying A Vehicle?Contact Us+2348060365068 For Detailed Record Check♀️ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:55am On Aug 07, 2019
share your experiences buying cars from outside the country and buying here on Nigerian soil.

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by boldx(m): 6:59am On Aug 07, 2019
Following
Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:00am On Aug 07, 2019
Let me share mine first smiley

2 on two occasions this year I have received vehicles that had mild fender bender damage, stated as run and drive @ auction but at the Lagos port engines would not start. On towing them to the shop, and after inspections the engines were knocked. Had to replace engines for both cars before sale.

On another occasion the transmission of a corolla was flaring in 2nd gear and had to replace it before sale.

On another occasion there was oil burn in a vehicle that had no damage at all and was less than 100,000miles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by jarkbauer: 10:14am On Aug 07, 2019
Sometimes it is better to run from minor dents and scratches if you don't have anybody to physically check before auction

2 Likes

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by krisrock(m): 10:41am On Aug 07, 2019
Mine was a sweet story because the person was on ground. Vehicle was listed 'as does not start', however that was when the car was brought to the auction. It only needed the key be reprogrammed which was done and my contact assured me that he even started the car himself. The 'does not start' label scared people away and he was the only one that bid and also won the bid at a very cheap price grin grin grin. And I have been enjoying the car for over a year now without any issues

1 Like

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:51am On Aug 07, 2019
krisrock:
Mine was a sweet story because the person was on ground. Vehicle was listed 'as does not start', however that was when the car was brought to the auction. It only needed the key be reprogrammed which was done and my contact assured me that he even started the car himself. The 'does not start' label scared people away and he was the only one that bid and also won the bid at a very cheap price grin grin grin. And I have been enjoying the car for over a year now without any issues

4var.....

2 Likes

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by krisrock(m): 11:14am On Aug 07, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

4var.....

undecided

1 Like

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by jabberjawz: 12:40pm On Aug 07, 2019
Following.............with my popcorn beside me... grin
Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by Captmajid(m): 3:54pm On Aug 07, 2019
Bought a car on iaai,had just minor dents and scratches,but stated as run and drive. Car was clean enough for me. When the car got to Lagos port,it didn't start,it was discovered that the car a had burnt out gasket. Had to change it and plug coils. Car is doing fine till now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by Anchor84: 4:55pm On Aug 07, 2019
krisrock:
I bought a Car like dis Dis...This is just thr best car to buy if one is being Lucky to get it
Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by dokyOloye: 9:59pm On Aug 10, 2019
Hmmmm.
I get one long story.
Early 2016,searched for a car on copart.Saw.
mild rear impact.
Had an acquaintance over there in d US bid for it and got it at an appreciable price.
Sent to shipper/Grimaldi. Got bill of Laden,ship was supposed to dock in Lagos on d 21st day,it actually reached on d 18th.
Already paid agent 900k he charged.Agent called me n said ship has docked but he didn't see my car,that shipper probably didn't load it into d ship.
Lots of back n forth calls,Grimaldi now agreed car was mistakenly offloaded at Ghana,that it will come with another ship in a week.
1 week turned to 1 month.They finally said they couldn't find any ship coming to Naija, that it was taken back to New York and will come in another 3 weeks.
Finally, it came to Lagos(2 months after it should've).Agent now called me n said "oga,your motor get problem, custom increased their fees".He already paid d duty etc d 1st time car was supposed to come 2 months ago.
I called ppl who work in d port and they said customs no increase anything. I took evening flight to Lag n went wt a customs officer friend to Tin can d following morning.
Turned out d crook(agent) paid for a 2007 while car was 2009 then used biro to alter d 7 to a 9.
Unfortunately 4 him,d custom officers he did d wayo wt had been changed during that 2 months hiatus.
Customs now imposed all manners of fines and penalties on d car meaning I was supposed to pay nearly another 1m.Wanted to make trouble wt d agent(customs were also looking for him to lock up) but his colleagues there reminded me he has nothing to lose and car is mine and d more it stays d more d demurrage.of cos,him done disappear though I knew he was around.
Rallied round and borrowed from parents, siblings and paid off d fines and bribes.Them comot motor,it was already vandalized. Booth was empty,all these branded Mercedes aux cord,star logo on d front grille,trafficators etc were already stolen.Car was intact when it was bought,I had pictures.
Hired battery and started d car,drove to where I stayed in Festac,went to Ladipo and Trinity to buy jack, spare,wheel spanner,rear bumper ,star logo,etc.
Drove car to d east after a few days.Zero customs wahala on d road cos I pay and overpay sef.
Summary,d high BP no be here.
Will i go that route again,hell yeah,I'm a forking risk taker, adrenaline junkie but preorder no be for d faint hearted ooo.
When car wouldn't crank at d port,I assumed something expensive was already stolen but na battery finally.
car came at 67k miles,almost zero issues since,just suspension shii and oxygen sensor (prolly bad fuel)
Forgive my long epistle

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 12, 2019
It depends on the vehicle. If its a regular one like Toyota, Lexus, Benz, Honda e.t.c, I won't even think of pre-order.

One, as a result of the volume of these vehicles coming into the country, I am sure of getting a very good one with little patience.

Two, the headache that comes with it is not worth it. Better to have someone else undertake the risk and pay him 100-200k extra for doing that. Besides, more often than not, after fixes have been made, the total cost that brings it to ones doorstep is almost the same with the price you would have gotten an already imported one; that's if you dont even spend more.

Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for scarce vehicles. If I had the means, I'll engage manufacturers to make special vehicles for me alone grin. I don't like anything that doesn't feel special and that's the only reason I'll be forced to go the pre-order route when buying vehicles.

3 Likes

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by 222Martins(m): 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2019
I have pre-ordered cars and also bought here in Nigeria.....Lot of experiences i would have loved to share but no time to type now. The core truth is that nothing in life is guaranteed. You may find a trustworthy car dealer and shit will still go wrong.

1 Like

Re: Buying A Vehicle From Naija Or Pre-order Which Is Better? by dokyOloye: 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2019
rationalmind:
It depends on the vehicle. If its a regular one like Toyota, Lexus, Benz, Honda e.t.c, I won't even think of pre-order.

One, as a result of the volume of these vehicles coming into the country, I am sure of getting a very good one with little patience.

Two, the headache that comes with it is not worth it. Better to have someone else undertake the risk and pay him 100-200k extra for doing that. Besides, more often than not, after fixes have been made, the total cost that brings it to ones doorstep is almost the same with the price you would have gotten an already imported one; that's if you dont even spend more.

Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for scarce vehicles. If I had the means, I'll engage manufacturers to make special vehicles for me alone grin. I don't like anything that doesn't feel special and that's the only reason I'll be forced to go the pre-order route when buying vehicles.

Buying from here has it's own risks too except you have above average knowledge about cars.
If you spend 2 days in Tin can you'll understand 85% or even more of the cars coming into Naija are severely damaged cars.
No wonder ppl buy clean looking cars but na mechanic workshop from day 1.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Very Clean Honda Accord 2000 (480k) / Lagos: Tokunbo 2003 Toyota Camry - Gold Colour / 2013 Lexus GS350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.