Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? (688 Views)

Forensic Investigative Professionals Of Nigeria, An Idea Which Time Has Come / Prince Charles Meets Doctors Working In Maiduguri (Video) / Nnamdi Kanu Is Working For Buhari’s Second Term - Deji Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Citytrend: 6:14pm On Aug 07, 2019
Anyone with Any Idea Which Particular Sector is Working in Nigeria Since 1999 Till Date.

This Question was thrown at me by a Canadian Lady married to a Nigerian.

And Guess? I was Speechless for about 15 seconds when this Question was thrown at me because of the one article someone the poster on Social Media about the New Nigerian Dreams
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by GMbuharii: 6:15pm On Aug 07, 2019
The constitution is bad and lopsided to favor the ever backward north...
Under this daura dispensation,what used to be a country is now a kwantiri..

Revolution now
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by greenguy: 6:18pm On Aug 07, 2019
None my friend. That's the bitter truth and it'll be like that till 2023, I pray we have some sense by then.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Lawalemi(m): 6:19pm On Aug 07, 2019
Manufacturing was picking up but it became worse under Buhari due to exchange rate issue
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by oluwadabira111(m): 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2019
Every sector in nigeria is now worse than ever
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by soberdrunk(m): 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2019
The unemployment sector..... angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by scribble: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2019
Fulani herdsmen cattle sector

Also Sunni Islam is thriving
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by nwafor1(m): 6:22pm On Aug 07, 2019
Citytrend:
Anyone with Any Idea Which Particular Sector is Working in Nigeria Since 1999 Till Date.

And Guess? I was Speechless for about 15 seconds when this Question was thrown at me because of the one article someone the poster on Social Media about the New Nigerian Dreams

Ruga sector cool

2 Likes

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by mrvitalis(m): 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2019
Citytrend:

All the sector headed by or dominated by southern nigerians

Banking , entertainment , fashion , transportation , housing ( private ooh )

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Housing(m): 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2019
The manufacturing sector,

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by viyon02: 6:44pm On Aug 07, 2019
The only sector that is working now is 'Ruga'

3 Likes

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by chiagozien(m): 6:48pm On Aug 07, 2019
Cow industry is working.

2 Likes

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by slimfit1(m): 6:50pm On Aug 07, 2019
Yahoo and corruption sector. Human Rights violation is working. Every negative thing that can happen is happening.
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Turantula(m): 6:52pm On Aug 07, 2019
Kidnapping grew by 242% from 2016 - 2018
Armed Banditry grew by 124% from 2017 - 2019
Terrorism grew by 95% from 2017 - 2019

As you can see these are some promising sectors of the economy

3 Likes

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Kingosytex(m): 6:52pm On Aug 07, 2019
In this NEXT LEVEL the casket making sector is the only working sector for atleast now.
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Kingosytex(m): 6:55pm On Aug 07, 2019
Turantula:

viyon02:
The only sector that is working now is 'Ruga'
Turantula:

Add casket sector to the sectors you mentioned. casket business is booming.

2 Likes

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by viyon02: 6:59pm On Aug 07, 2019
Kingosytex:

Add casket sector to the sectors you mentioned. casket business is booming.
grin grin grin grin but you are right
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by LegendHero(m): 7:04pm On Aug 07, 2019
The entertainment sector is the only thing working in this country since 1999.

Both Obasanjo, Jonathan, and Buhari are all clueless and Nigeria is worse by the day. Both PDP and APC are parasites that needs to be fumigated or else this country will remain the same for the next 100 years.

Also, the north is holding us back, I’m not talking about leadership in this aspect, but major bad statistics and killing always originated from the north. From the unproductive population, illiteracy, out of school children, terrorism, quota system, religious animosity.

If Nigeria were to be the southern states alone, the statistics would have favored us a little bit, but I’m sorry Nigeria May remain like this for 100 years more if we still maintain this rubbish form of system of governance.

1 Like

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by orisa37: 7:08pm On Aug 07, 2019
MTN N
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by viyon02: 7:15pm On Aug 07, 2019
LegendHero:
The entertainment sector is the only thing working in this country since 1999.

Both Obasanjo, Jonathan, and Buhari are all clueless and Nigeria is worse by the day. Both PDP and APC are parasites that needs to be fumigated or else this country will remain the same for the next 100 years.

Also, the north is holding us back, I’m not talking about leadership in this aspect, but major bad statistics and killing always originated from the north. From the unproductive population, illiteracy, out of school children, terrorism, quota system, religious animosity.

If Nigeria were to be the southern states alone, the statistics would have favored us a little bit, but I’m sorry Nigeria May remain like this for 100 years more if we still maintain this rubbish form of system of governance.
did you just say entertainment sector? Piracy is the major set back for that sector, and I don't think government has done something meaningful to cup it: when you get to Alaba you will feel sorry for artists/artistes
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by LegendHero(m): 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2019
viyon02:
did you just say entertainment sector? Piracy is the major set back for that sector, and I don't think government has done something meaningful to cup it: when you get to Alaba you will feel sorry for artists/artistes

Then that means no sector is working in Nigeria. I really feel sorry for this country.
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by viyon02: 7:23pm On Aug 07, 2019
LegendHero:

Then that means no sector is working in Nigeria. I really feel sorry for this country.
the country is already dead and gone, what just remain is the cacarses left by the vampire politicians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 07, 2019
The basic reason why Nigeria is not working is simple.

We subsidse petrol.

As a result of the 'price controls' we put on petrol, no one is willing to come and invest in new refinereis, as well as the industry as a whole.

Meanwhile we throw N2 trillon yearly on subsidising petrol....money that could have been used for education and health...which would have helped the poor people much better.

No investment means no jobs.

Then there is power supply. Not only are we subsidising power...to the point that 1) DISCOS and GENCOS cannot make enough money to 2) Improve power supply. 3) It keeps out investors from coming in.

Point is, Nigeria is a country that believes in price controls. To the point that we a re sabotaging the engine room of our economy, sabotaging job growth...all because we want to pay unreasonably low prices...for things that need high prices.

Look at the Telecoms sector. Obasanjo allowed them into the country and allowed them to do their business without government controlling their prices. In the first 6 years, a sim card was a HUGE EXEPNSE. At 2003...A sim cost N10000 from MTN...and you could not even use it to call between networks until 2004.

The telecoms people took our money, and invested it in infrastructuire...which created jobs, etc.

So, if we did the same for power, and petrol....yes, there would he hardship for some time , but investment would flow in, and more jobs would be created. Ans we would get power for 24/7 eventually...leading to economic growth.

But suggesting it means you are an opressor. Suggesting that government also forces Nigerian businessmen to sell below the price they bought their goods for also means you are an opressor.

APC has a potential solution...but they can't see it. because poltics.
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by viyon02: 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2019
Naijafull19:
The basic reason why Nigeria is not working is simple.

We subsidse petrol.

As a result of the 'price controls' we put on petrol, no one is willing to come and invest in new refinereis, as well as the industry as a whole.

Meanwhile we throw N2 trillon yearly on subsidising petrol....money that could have been used for education and health...which would have helped the poor people much better.

No investment means no jobs.

Then there is power supply. Not only are we subsidising power...to the point that 1) DISCOS and GENCOS cannot make enough money to 2) Improve power supply. 3) It keeps out investors from coming in.

Point is, Nigeria is a country that believes in price controls. To the point that we a re sabotaging the engine room of our economy, sabotaging job growth...all because we want to pay unreasonably low prices...for things that need high prices.

Look at the Telecoms sector. Obasanjo allowed them into the country and allowed them to do their business without government controlling their prices. In the first 6 years, a sim card was a HUGE EXEPNSE. At 2003...A sim cost N10000 from MTN...and you could not even use it to call between networks until 2004.

The telecoms people took our money, and invested it in infrastructuire...which created jobs, etc.

So, if we did the same for power, and petrol....yes, there would he hardship for some time , but investment would flow in, and more jobs would be created. Ans we would get power for 24/7 eventually...leading to economic growth.

But suggesting it means you are an opressor. Suggesting that government also forces Nigerian businessmen to sell below the price they bought their goods for also means you are an o

APC has a potential solution...but they can't see it. because poltics.
my temperature normally raise each time will debate subsidy on pump price of fuel: firstly, we have four refinaries for God sake why can't we refine our crude oil here in Nigeria? I think the issue of subsidy will be gone if we refine our crude oil here. Secondly, why can't the Fg remove the othonomy of power sector, let each states generate power in order to support Fg own, I think it will be better that. But because of selfish interest it wouldn't be done.
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2019
viyon02:
my temperature normally raise each time will debate subsidy on pump price of fuel: firstly, we have four refinaries for God sake why can't we refine our crude oil here in Nigeria? I think the issue of subsidy will be gone if we refine our crude oil here. Secondly, why can't the Fg remove the othonomy of power sector, let each states generate power in order to support Fg own, I think it will be better that. But because of selfish interest it wouldn't be done.

1.Even if all our refineries were working, the last one was opened 31 years ago. In 31 years, the number of cars and generators has more than quadrupuled. Menaing we need to build new ones...and we can't...as you will soon see.

2.Because government is controlling the price of fuel....that means that anyone coming into Nigeria to build a refinery would end up selling fuel below the production cost. At the moment it costs at least N165 to produce one liter of fuel (according to NNPC...and it may be higher as NNPC doesn't keep accurate records). Under subsidy, a chap building a refinery would have to sell below N145...meaning a loss of N20 for every liter of fuel sold.

That's why we cannot build new refineries, or renovate existing refineries because subsidies force us to run our petroluem sector at a loss.(The corruption does not make it better)

3.On power....unless government stops setting the price of power via NIBET (right now...the system is set up in such a way that we pay 30% of the actual cost of power...while the rest is paid by government...who is finding it dififuclt to meet the price differential because of falling revneues,).....a) No matter how many states start generating power b) they would be running at a loss.
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by viyon02: 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2019
Naijafull19:

1.Even if all our refineries were working, the last one was opened 31 years ago. In 31 years, the number of cars and generators has more than quadrupuled. Menaing we need to build new ones...and we can't...as you will soon see.

2.Because government is controlling the price of fuel....that means that anyone coming into Nigeria to build a refinery would end up selling fuel below the production cost. At the moment it costs at least N165 to produce one liter of fuel (according to NNPC...and it may be higher as NNPC doesn't keep accurate records). Under subsidy, a chap building a refinery would have to sell below N145...meaning a loss of N20 for every liter of fuel sold.

That's why we cannot build new refineries, or renovate existing refineries because subsidies force us to run our petroluem sector at a loss.(The corruption does not make it better)

3.On power....unless government stops setting the price of power via NIBET (right now...the system is set up in such a way that we pay 30% of the actual cost of power...while the rest is paid by government...who is finding it dififuclt to meet the price differential because of falling revneues,).....a) No matter how many states start generating power b) they would be running at a loss.
like I said, this country is dead gone since.
Re: Anyone With Any Idea Which Sector Is Working In Nigeria? by paix(m): 9:25pm On Aug 07, 2019
I think it's only APC sector that is working. Since they cannot blame PDP again, they now resorted to making promises.

(1) (Reply)

Diplomatic Row Looms As South Africa Frustrates, Arrests Voluntary Returnees / Presidential Election: What The PDP And Atiku/obi Presented To The Supreme Cour / Group Petitions EFCC, Seeks Probe Of Osinbajo Over N90bn Allegedly Released To H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.