Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,364 members, 7,819,313 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork (44134 Views)

Serena Williams In Tears After Semi-final Loss To Naomi Osaka (Photos, Video) / Serena Williams In Tears After Injury In Rogers Cup Final, Touching (Photos) / Wimbledon: Cori Gauff Defeats Venus Williams, In Tears After (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by MoneyMan5: 7:06pm On Aug 07, 2019
Laolu Senbanjo has added another huge name to his impressive international career.

His latest collaboration is with tennis superstar Serena Williams on the cover of the September Global Fashion issue of Essence where she rocks the Nigerian visual artist's distinctive body paint.

He took to his Instagram page to share his excitement about working with one of his sheroes.

His caption read, “Working with one of the greatest athletes of all time was truly an honour. It is still surreal when I think that @serenawilliams was my canvas. I captured her essence and greatness with this unique print. Every element in the Artwork is a reflection of who she is."

“Growing up in Nigeria, it was far-reaching to think that I could ever work with such an amazing person; one of my sheroes. For those who think their dreams are unreachable, I hope this serves as validation that they’re not. Thank you @essence for the opportunity.”

The man behind the art

Senbanjo, better known as Laolu NYC, has made a name for himself with his mystical body art which is steeped in Yoruba mythology.

Since leaving the country for his base — Brooklyn, his Sacred Art of the Ori Yoruba body paint ritual has been featured on Beyonce’s Grammy Award-winning Visual Album, “Lemonade.”

Laolu Senbanjo's work featured on Beyonce's album

He has also appeared in the Washington Post, the NY Times, Vogue, BBC, CNN, VICE and collaborated with top brands like Nike and Bvlgari.

Regardless of who is working with, he stays true to his heritage. He explains why this is so important to him in an exclusive interview with Pulse.

In his words, “When you are Nigerian, you really are an ambassador for the country without even realising it. My art has allowed me not only to express myself but also educate people and I never thought that I would be in that kind of space to do that. Art has been that tool that has brought me in front of a lot of people and allowed me to explain what it means to be Nigerian. I explain to them what the imagery I use signifies and I take them to Nigeria without them having to move an inch which is a unique thing.’’

Senbanjo's style of art is called 'Afromysterics', a term coined by the artist. It means the mystery of the African thought pattern.

His mantra is "everything is my canvas" which is why you can his art on everything from people to shoes, bags and jackets.

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/nigerian-visual-artist-laolu-leaves-his-mark-on-tennis-superstar-serena-williams/d3l8kxw

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by MoneyMan5: 7:07pm On Aug 07, 2019
Laolu senbajo work's featured on Beyonce's Album

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by MoneyMan5: 7:12pm On Aug 07, 2019
Laolu-Senbanjo-Equinox

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by planB49030: 10:35pm On Aug 07, 2019

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by Preator: 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2019
Hm.
Lovely, but why not work more with canvas? Live models are not permanent. Canvas can be sold and resold as well as transported easily.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by jayblack500(m): 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2019
Good work

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by coolcacuz: 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2019
Nice one

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by spartan50(m): 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2019
Jesus is coming soon! Give your life to Christ

87 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by Ayomiunusual(m): 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2019
Nice job
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by Sultty(m): 10:37pm On Aug 07, 2019
Naija always no dey carry last
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by Mdaz(m): 10:37pm On Aug 07, 2019
Good art work
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by TINKU01(f): 10:37pm On Aug 07, 2019
H
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 07, 2019
Proudly Nigerian
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by Mightyhaiz: 10:38pm On Aug 07, 2019
Wetin be dis

2 Likes

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by MISTAICEY02288(m): 10:38pm On Aug 07, 2019
Whatever your talent is or your learned skill, never give up on it. Keep working and keep improving on it. One day, it will surely speak for you.. Do not despise your days of little beginning and never relent, you never know who is watching you...

8 Likes

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by duwdu: 10:39pm On Aug 07, 2019
This guy is really talented and has found his niche. All the best to you, Laolu Sebanjo!

P34c3
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by darniejay(m): 10:39pm On Aug 07, 2019
OK
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by SavageMajor(m): 10:40pm On Aug 07, 2019
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by shigoslim(m): 10:40pm On Aug 07, 2019
spartan50:

Why ? One of the people wole soyinka is referring to as first to comment. grin angry angry

What is coming of jesus has to do with this?

9 Likes

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by MrOwonikoko: 10:40pm On Aug 07, 2019
Proudly Yoruba, punch like if u r with me grin

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by tstx(m): 10:41pm On Aug 07, 2019
Cool

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by BOOOMNAIJA: 10:42pm On Aug 07, 2019
If he likes, let him paint obasanjo's smelly asshole....wetin consign me?

1 Like

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by tstx(m): 10:42pm On Aug 07, 2019
spartan50:

Have you given your life to him??

The funny thing about this statement is => had it been it was the Arabs that colonized your state... This your give your life to Christ thingy would have been "Give your life to Mohammed"

We all are victims of circumstances.. There's no one true religion. Just love the next human being as you love yourself

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by luminouz(m): 10:43pm On Aug 07, 2019
Preator:
Hm.
Lovely, but why not work more with canvas? Live models are not permanent. Canvas can be sold and resold as well as transported easily.
Is it your work?
Are you an artist?

Naso all of una go dey dish out advice anyhow. He became famous for being great at his specialty.
Question is, why don't you work more on yourself?

15 Likes

Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by TheGameYard(m): 10:43pm On Aug 07, 2019
Omo this kind work go sweet ohh
Re: Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork by strongllie: 10:44pm On Aug 07, 2019
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'Trailed': Alex Iwobi Becomes A Nollywood Actor, Features In First Movie / Okocha Blasted By Omeruo's Wife, Chioma Nnamani: "Mad Man" / Football Fans, Coach Slam Kelechi Ihenacho After Goal Miss Vs Man City (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.