Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,058 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion (450 Views)

Shehu Sani Faults Buhari's Request To Relocate AFRICOM Hqs To Africa / Military Mulls Seeking Help From US AFRICOM To Rescue Abducted Pupils / US Military Is Killing Our Brothers And Sisters! We Have To Stop AFRICOM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 12:50am On Aug 09, 2019

Yet without the resources necessary for maritime protection, there is little that African coastal governments can do to protect their waters. This is where the U.S. military could be especially helpful, and there is precedent. In 1978, USAID financed a project in Guinea-Bissau, Senegal and Mauritania in which the U.S. Coast Guard helped train and equip these governments to enforce fishing restrictions. These were not complex operations: Each country’s navy had two patrol boats and two surveillance aircraft used to search for and confront illegal fishing boats. It ought to be possible to do something similar again, with even more impressive results.

Washington will need to act for AFRICOM to address this issue with the vigor it deserves. Diplomacy will also play a key role. “It is unlikely that foreign fishing would persist at its current intensity in Africa if subsidies were phased out,” writes the ACSS. Washington ought to pressure foreign governments to end these subsidies, and instead invest in sustainable fisheries. Otherwise, this global food crisis will deepen, with dire implications for human security.

Herman J. Cohen is a former ambassador and adviser to presidents who served 38 years in the Foreign Service. He is president and CEO of Cohen and Woods International.

Source: https://www.stripes.com/opinion/africom-can-make-fishing-fair-for-nations-in-its-aor-1.592611
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 1:27am On Aug 09, 2019
I like the idea he presented. Would you guys be cool with AFRICOM doing this? America makes more weapons sales while Nigeria curtails the illegal fishing and piracy going on it its water. Currently Gulf of Guinea does suffer unregulated fishing by Chinese fishers. It would reduce of fish imports, boast tax revenue, increase employment and increase food supply.

The only question is how effective was the program in 1978 for those nations? Nigeria should explore its options with US, Russia and China to get best deals. Currently Trump wants to counter China's influence in the continent. Russia still trying to get in the game. I only know them for weapons sales and offering to build nuclear plants.
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by cenaman(m): 1:52am On Aug 09, 2019
Abeg make una allow our fishermen fish in peace. do i hear surveillance aircraft? how many times ......
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by tsdarkside(m): 4:48am On Aug 09, 2019
bullshitt....

people that stole you blind,you wan put in charge of your stuff....??

ridiculous idea....
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by helinues: 4:50am On Aug 09, 2019
They have been helping since 1978.. Are we that lazy that we cant do anything on our own?
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 5:16am On Aug 09, 2019
tsdarkside:
bullshitt....

people that stole you blind,you wan put in charge of your stuff....??

ridiculous idea....

Your comment makes zero sense try reading before commenting next time. This isnt different different from Nigeria buying Super Tucano jets from America. He's only suggesting USA sells patrol boats and pressure other countries to stop fishing subsidies. I dont get why your type gets so emotionally charged over ordinary polices.

The U.S. Coast Guard helped train and equip these governments to enforce fishing restrictions. These were not complex operations: Each country’s navy had two patrol boats and two surveillance aircraft used to search for and confront illegal fishing boats.
Washington ought to pressure foreign governments to end these subsidies.
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by tsdarkside(m): 5:20am On Aug 09, 2019
Blue3k2:

Your comment makes zero sense try reading before commenting next time. This isnt different different from Nigeria buying Super Tucano jets from America. He's only suggesting USA sells patrol boats and pressure other countries to stop fishing subsidies. I dont get why your type gets so emotionally charged over ordinary polices.

and you cant do that yourselves....??

sink anything that has no right to fish in your sea borders....!!

you have the ships,you even build boats sef....you have no excuse to dont do it yourselves....
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 5:28am On Aug 09, 2019
tsdarkside:

and you cant do that yourselves....??

sink anything that has no right to fish in in sea borders....!!

you have the ships,you even build boats sef....you have no excuse to dont do it yourselves....

It seems youre ignorant about the topic in general.
Its not the boat that's the equipment inside the boat that special. The navy currently struggling to curtail piracy and Illegal fishing on water. Adding more patrol boats from United states would be helpful boast. If Nigeria was able to go it alone it would have highest incidence of piracy in region.

Great plan sink let me alert navy of genius policy.
Nigeria produces how many naval ships a year? Why not add the surveillance aircrafts to your build it yourself mantra. It's clearly not enough and would be easier to buy while building up capacity in mean time.

The U.S. Coast Guard helped train and equip these governments to enforce fishing restrictions. These were not complex operations: Each country’s navy had two patrol boats and two surveillance aircraft used to search for and confront illegal fishing boats.
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by tsdarkside(m): 6:03am On Aug 09, 2019
Blue3k2:

It seems youre ignorant about the topic in general.
Its not the boat that's the equipment inside the boat that special. The navy currently struggling to curtail piracy and Illegal fishing on water. Adding more patrol boats from United states would be helpful boast. If Nigeria was able to go it alone it would have highest incidence of piracy in region.

Great plan sink let me alert navy of genius policy.
Nigeria produces how many naval ships a year? Why not add the surveillance aircrafts to your build it yourself mantra. It's clearly not enough and would be easier to buy while building up capacity in mean time.

and you seem to dont understand what am sayin....

you have the capacity to build this things yourselves....

what what....??
you want to hunt pirates with submarines and battleships....??
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 6:23am On Aug 09, 2019
tsdarkside:

and you seem to dont understand what am sayin....

you have the capacity to build this things yourselves....

what what....??
you want to hunt pirates with submarines and battleships....??

No I don't get your point since it doesn't make sense. Nigeria also has the capacity to manufacture bullets but thst didnt stop the country from importing them from Europe. Why are you against it for boats. Again what about the surveillance helicopters are you planning on ignoring that one?.

I didn't mention submarines and battleships so why ask. You're telling me there's this capacity yet the country is has the highest piracy in region and suffering from illegal fishing..
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by tsdarkside(m): 6:43am On Aug 09, 2019
Blue3k2:

No I don't get your point since it doesn't make sense. Nigeria also has the capacity to manufacture bullets but thst didnt stop the country from importing them from Europe. Why are you against it for boats. Again what about the surveillance helicopters are you planning on ignoring that one?.

I didn't mention submarines and battleships so why ask. You're telling me there's this capacity yet the country is has the highest piracy in region and suffering from illegal fishing..

i dont understand you,you dont understand me....even your amelika that you think can do no wrong is importing bullets....

its called over demand....

i understand were you are arguing from....

you think nigeria doesnt produce bullets,drones and other stuffs....whats not true....
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by tsdarkside(m): 6:47am On Aug 09, 2019
Blue3k2:

then why do you need amelika to battle pirates....??

oo my...pirates are your least problems....

you have problems comin your way that will make you tremble for fear....
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 6:56am On Aug 09, 2019
tsdarkside:

i dont understand you,you dont understand me....even your amelika that you think can do no wrong is importing bullets....

its called over demand....

i understand were you are arguing from....

you think nigeria doesnt produce bullets,drones and other stuffs....whats not true....

Your arguements are turning more nonsensical. Argue points I bring up not strawmen. You're the one claiming it's wrong to import since we have capacity. Stop lying it isnt just over demand it undercapcity and failure of DICON over the decades. I never claimed Nigeria doesn't make anything btw.

Comparing Nigeria to America is silly when you know America biggest arms exporter. Nigeria is not even sufficient in domesticly.

“DICON, the main statutory manufacturer of arms and ammunition in Nigeria, has suffered neglect over the years and has been virtually non-operational. Consequently, the defence sector has to rely on external influence to determine the types of equipment to be sold or acquired.

Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali

Source

tsdarkside:

then why do you need amelika to battle pirates....??

oo my...pirates are your least problems....

you have problems comin your way that will make you tremble for fear....

Buying weapons from America supplies nsvy with Equipment in short term to battle these issues. Piracy cost Nigeria hundreds of millions a year. Buhari signed bill recently giving stiffer punishments for pirated. The government is currently trying to battle pirates. Speak for yourself if you're trembling behind your keyboard.
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by tsdarkside(m): 7:08am On Aug 09, 2019
Blue3k2:

Your arguements are turning more nonsensical. Argue points I bring up not strawmen. You're the one claiming it's wrong to import since we have capacity. Stop lying it isnt just over demand it undercapcity and failure of DICON over the decades. I never claimed Nigeria doesn't make anything btw.

Comparing Nigeria to America is silly when you know America biggest arms exporter. Nigeria is not even sufficient in domesticly.

well....na me you want to argue with on an issue about nigerians depending only on oil money....??

seriously....??

you think i understand whats realy going on....??

nigeria is not an offensive nation,soo mind set to overproduce is not their....

but population is grown steadily....blamin only leaders is not enough....

we have a too comfortable mindset....

maybe we should go offensive....their is alot of money in war too,you know....

its a risk,you could perish....but when you win,ooooh my....

this peaceful approach is not gonna work....not now....

over half of africa start to dispice us....i think its better we close up and care only about ourselves or beat each other up....
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 3:14pm On Aug 09, 2019
Bump
Re: AFRICOM Can Make Fishing Fair For Nations In Its AOR - Opinion by Blue3k2: 11:11pm On Aug 18, 2019
Last month, Gabonese fisheries enforcement officers in conjunction with Sea Shepherd’s Bob Barker crew arrested Chinese flagged Haixin 27 for illegally fishing in Gabonese waters.

In 2016, 51 vessels were inspected, and six arrests occurred. In 2017, that number increased to 80 vessels and nine arrests.

Off topic Gabon been able to tackle their illegal fishing menace with a little help from aid organization and conviction to cause. These chinese illegal fishers should not given leniency.

(1) (Reply)

Transporter Returns N2.2b Mistakenly Paid Into His Account / Today’s News Top Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Saturday, August 17, 2019 / Why Igbos Are Hated In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.