Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency (27235 Views)

El-Rufai Wants Politicians Using Religion As Campaign Tool Punished / APC Crisis: Crack In Presidency Widens As Osinbajo Maintains Position / El-rufai Wants To Be Vice President - Arewa Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by 16Ebiscoo: 7:14am On Aug 10, 2019
Governor Nasir El-Rufai warned against zoning of the Presidency between the North and South region of Nigeria in a prologue titled ‘Defeating a Determined Incumbent – The Nigerian Experience’, written in contributiion to a book by the Director-General of the Progressives Governors’ Forum, Salihu Lukma.

The Kaduna State Governor argued that the competence has to be taken up in place of zoning as Nigeria cannot afford towing same path again. He also described the present method of funding parties as “opaque” and also proposed a new method which will cut off godfathers, while revealing factors that contributed to electoral success of the All Progressives Congress in the 2015 presidential election.

He said, “Even with our success in the 2015 elections, there is room for improvement. Barriers to political equality, such as our seemingly entrenched though informal rule for zoning candidacies according to regions of origin, need to be de-emphasised and ultimately abandoned in favour of an emphasis on qualification, competence and character.

“The financing of parties, candidates and campaigns remains opaque.

“Many African countries are marked by savage inequalities, and a handful of individuals have the wherewithal to hold the process hostage.

“We must work towards funding parties via capped and fully disclosed donations and annual dues payable by every registered party member.”

Also campaigning for an improved judicial processes and promotion of the rule of law, El-Rufai listed some conditions neccesary for an opposition to defeat the incumbent as these;

“A unified opposition preferably merged into a single and well-structured political party well ahead of the next election cycle, and with transparent processes and progressive policies.

“A presidential candidate widely seen as credible and reformist to provide a sharp contrast to incumbents usually fattened by years of lazy, incompetent and corrupt rule.

“Honest elections that guarantee that votes count, using a mixture of competent electoral commission leadership and, crucially, deploying technologies for voter verification that drastically reduces electoral fraud.

“Credible elections are enemies of voter apathy. They enhance democratic legitimacy and citizen participation.

“Continuous engagement of the international community, particularly in the leading stable democracies as well as in multilateral institutions, to supply a crucial external fillip to the electoral process.”

President Buhari claimed that he and his party had the support of Nigerians in the foreword of the book. He also insisted that his administration reversed the downward slide the PDP pushed the nation into by squandering its resources.

He said, “There is no doubt that we have the popular support of Nigerians.

“I have seen this myself when I went around the 36 states and the FCT during the campaigns.

“The turnout of people and messages of goodwill across the country were what no individual, party or government could organise or buy.

“They were purely demonstrations of confidence in our administration and its political platform, the All Progressives Congress, the product of the merger.

“The multitude that trooped out to see me and hear me were reassuring that Nigeria, despite its cultural diversities, is united on the imperative of change.

“Our duty as leaders is to ensure that we keep this nation united, build a better future for the citizens and the coming generation.

“I feel that without coming together, we would not have been able to achieve this feat and Nigeria will be the worse for it.

“We remain the only hope of the country in terms of charting a politically stable and economically prosperous future for our people.

“I will, therefore, encourage us to continue leading this country effectively, now that Nigerians have entrusted us with a mandate once again to chart the course for the future of our beloved nation.”

However Alhaji Shuaibu Oyedokun, a member of Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party disagreed with El-Rufai on zoning. Though he admitted that competence should be given a better place than zoning, he added that zoning was established during the defunct National Party of Nigeria to ensure no part of the country was alienated.

Oyedokun said, “If we could find a way of strictly implementing zoning in the true spirit of it, i will say i want it. But do we sincerely implement it? If you zone a position to a particular area, people from other areas are not supposed to come out to contest but that is not the case.

“To me, the kind of country we have, being heterogeneous in nature, in term of religious and ethnicity, I think for now, we should adhere strictly to zoning. What he said is right under normal circumstances but as it is now, Nigeria cannot afford to jettison zoning now.”

https://www.mcebiscoo.com/governor-el-rufai-wants-zoning-stopped-in-presidency/

10 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by BlackPeni5: 7:16am On Aug 10, 2019
The first step should be the abolishment of federal character.

124 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by fergie001: 7:17am On Aug 10, 2019
E reach now, you remember no-zoning abi?

Anyways, whatever you guys decide is OK, after all if I abuse you finish for NL...e no concern you sef!

81 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by PaChukwudi44(m): 7:18am On Aug 10, 2019
We all saw it coming.See wetin sophisticated politics de cause.

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by MichaelBukamzy(m): 7:18am On Aug 10, 2019
Use and dump comes to my mind. Southerners brace yourselves for another iceberg slim and juliet ibrahim kind of story. Where is my popcorn.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by helinues: 7:19am On Aug 10, 2019
His opinion...

Trust Elrufai at your own peril

9 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Born2Breed(f): 7:21am On Aug 10, 2019
Short man devil.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by PaChukwudi44(m): 7:22am On Aug 10, 2019
I always knew the APC will not field a southerner in 2023

131 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by PaChukwudi44(m): 7:23am On Aug 10, 2019
helinues:
What is he saying?
He is saying that you have been used and dumped

166 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by daddytime(m): 7:23am On Aug 10, 2019
El-Rufai....

I'm not sure he would have made this same submission if someone from a region other than the North was the presidential incumbent.

God dey sha...no wahala

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by actoor(m): 7:23am On Aug 10, 2019
fergie001:
E reach now, you remember no-zoning abi?

Anyways, whatever you guys decide is OK, after all if I abuse you finish for NL...e no concern you sef!

Don't mind the Oloribu Mr Miget aka Prof. Bodybag.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by alsudan: 7:24am On Aug 10, 2019
Nuhu Ribadu or Hell Rufai will be APCs Presidential candidate for the 2023 elections, most likely the former. Afonjas can take that to the bank. #intheknow

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oluwadabira111(m): 7:25am On Aug 10, 2019
PaChukwudi44:
dont be so sure,so who are they going to field.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by chiefolododo(m): 7:25am On Aug 10, 2019
Dindinrin

2 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by fergie001: 7:27am On Aug 10, 2019
actoor:

Don't mind the Oloribu Mr Miget aka Prof. Bodybag.
The cabals have sent him to come and shake some tables, as usual.

Well, the man is vicious and knows that all what he said, is what's cooking behind the background.
His state,irrespective of its multireligious nature has the Deputy from his same religion, three Senators same.
The two ministerial-designates from his state, same.

So when the man talks, know the higher authority has sent him to do the bidding.

As I said, na lukumon I dey.....

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Crews: 7:29am On Aug 10, 2019
To be honest, he is very correct. Nonetheless, I would have taken el-rufai for a sincere person if he had,as well, advocated for suspension of federal character.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Morenikeji070: 7:31am On Aug 10, 2019
Why are u disturbing yourself calm down and watch... southerner got the president under Apc.
PaChukwudi44:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by goshen26: 7:32am On Aug 10, 2019
Yeye....

If we go by your submission then north won't smell power, because I don't see any competence among nottherern leaders so safe Umar Yar'adua. Going by the poor level of education despise enormous funding to north.

The recent empowerment of Tony Elumelu which was for north alone and other empowerment so far, yet northerners are backward in term of civilization. The few educated either school in Kings college Lagos or abroad because they are rich.

[/b]if we go by competence, and not zoning northern leaders should not smell power because they have failed northerners[b]

Very simple!

You refuse to let every child go to school so their brain won't develop to ask you questions when you tell them to kill fellow blood flowing citizen like them. How many southerners can you brainwash like northerners? Southerners are educated!!!

Banditry can not be curbed because the current guys are denied education when they were young...but we can curb the next generation by sending all almajiris to school FOC...

God bless Nigeria

15 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by yjgm(m): 7:32am On Aug 10, 2019
Apt
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by raumdeuter: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

Instead of you to keep quiet, you keep shoving your mouth into whats beyond you and getting loses back to back

Examples

You always knew Onnoghen will not resign too until he did
PaChukwudi44:
The most important thing remains that the CJN will neither resign nor step aside.He would remain in power like Saraki and fight this charges

You also knew Saraki will not lose until he did

PaChukwudi44:
Gbaja is likely going to lose
You also knew Gbaja wont be speaker until he did

PaChukwudi44:
One of the reasons the APC will lose in Kwara will be because of Tinubu's meddling.

APC won Kwara

52 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by emmasege: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2019
Short man the devil is looking for a short cut to Aso Rock

2 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2019
Crews:
To be honest, he is very correct. Nonetheless, I would have taken el-rufai for a sincere person if he had,as well, advocated for suspension of federal character.

Quota system products don't reason rationally undecided

Just hear the sh1t u are vomiting from that ur smelly mouth

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by kings59: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2019
Trying every possible means to get rid of Tinubu.

By 2023, APC would be disintegrated.

Let us imagine this:

Atiku for president

GEJ for vice president

OR

Tinubu for president

EL Rufai for vice president
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by helinues: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

He is saying that you have been used and dumped

Lol.. Make I reserve my comments
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2019
If only it can be stopped
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by millionboi2: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2019
Hahaha......Now he doesn't want zoning

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Kingspin(m): 7:35am On Aug 10, 2019
Who takes Nasir El-Rufai serious?

Restructuring, power decentralization remains the answer.

5 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oruma19: 7:37am On Aug 10, 2019
Sai elrufai, Nigeria's next president....

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by funmijoyb(f): 7:37am On Aug 10, 2019
alsudan:
Nuhu Ribadu or Hell Rufai will be APCs Presidential candidate for the 2023 elections, most likely the former. Afonjas can take that to the bank. #intheknow
I'm afonja i will vote Nuhu ribadu and hell rufai ahead of any yoruba candidates .

So catholic igbo can start complaining with their two side of d mouth already.

4 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by raumdeuter: 7:38am On Aug 10, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

Another of pachukwudi predictions

PaChukwudi44:
IT IS SIMPLY COMMON SENSE.APC WILL NOT WIN ANY ELECTION IN BENUE,PLATEAU,TARABA,KOGI AND KWARA(IF SARAKI LEAVES THE PARTY)

THE ENTIRE MIDDLE BELT HAS BEEN TURNED TO FULANI KILLING FIELDS

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Dpharisee: 7:40am On Aug 10, 2019
BlackPeni5:
The first step should be the abolishment of federal character.
Quota system and catchment areas.

The Evil midget lied, the factors that contributed to the victories of APC and PDP is massive rigging depending on who is in charge at the centre, GEJ conceded defeat because he has a good heart against the plans of his party and Buhari was not ready to reciprocate. See how LGA elections are conducted cool

3 Likes

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by pat077: 7:40am On Aug 10, 2019
You want zoning stoped, but you still want quota system retained

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bello El-Rufai Funds The Fencing Of Christian Cemetery In Kaduna. / FEC Approves Seaport For Badagry, Lagos / Lai Mohammed Loses Grip… As APC Top-notcher Turns Down His Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.