Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos (481 Views)

Chaos At Kabul Airport As Thousands Tries To Flee Afghanistan (Pictures) / China Goes Online To Mock "Beautiful Sight" Of US Capitol Chaos / Photos Of Robert Mugabe Meeting With Military Amid Zimbabwe Political Chaos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by pressmanng: 2:20pm On Aug 10, 2019
A blackout has hit large parts of Britain, disrupting train travel and snarling Friday afternoon rush-hour traffic.

London, the south-east and north-west of England, and Scotland were impacted, leaving hundreds of thousands of people temporarily without electricity.

Power supplier National Grid said issues with two generators caused the loss of power and they had since been resolved.

Many people reported the outage lasted just a few minutes, but the impact on travellers was severe.

London's transit operator said some traffic lights in the city had been knocked out, and advised drivers to be careful.

National Rail Enquiries, which is run by Britain's train companies, said power supply problems caused disruption to a "large number of train services".

Rail services across the country were cancelled or delayed during the Friday evening rush hour, and commuter trains powered by overhead wires ground to a halt mid-journey.

London North Eastern Railway said all services were suspended in and out of King's Cross, one of London's busiest stations. It tweeted: "Customer advice is DO NOT TRAVEL."

The power failure came as heavy rainstorms drenched the London area, causing flooding at Luton Airport, about 47 kilometres north of the capital.

The airport said in a statement the "unprecedented rainfall" caused "water damage in a number of locations in the terminal" and apologised for the disruption.

AP/Reuters.

https://www.pressmanng.com/2019/08/blackout-hits-britain-causing-commuter.html?m=1

Lalasticlala

Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by Bethel4Life(f): 2:21pm On Aug 10, 2019
Lol
Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by adewest1999(m): 2:29pm On Aug 10, 2019
Nigerians be like......."how is this news"
chai Buhari
Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by Jetrue3oo: 2:31pm On Aug 10, 2019
Technical fault in less than 45 mins it will be rectify
Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by thesicilian: 2:32pm On Aug 10, 2019
Many people reported the outage lasted just a few minutes, but the impact on travellers was severe.
These oyinbo people self. Sometimes I just feel they're too overpampered. Or maybe it's my hardcore training in poverty speaking. I'm sure by the time the power is restored, all the Nigerian drivers would have reached home safely, leaving empty spaces in the gridlock on the roads.

4 Likes

Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by emeijeh(m): 2:34pm On Aug 10, 2019
Not strange in West Africa
Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by Kingosytex(m): 2:44pm On Aug 10, 2019
This thing na normal thing for Naija na.
Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by BlackfireX: 3:00pm On Aug 10, 2019
Is this one news?
Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 10, 2019
Why did they allow BLACKS to head the Power sector..??
Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by foolbuster: 4:47pm On Aug 10, 2019
EVILFOREST:
Why did they allow BLACKS to head the Power sector..??

Dont be silly.

2 Likes

Re: Blackout Hits Britain, Causing Commuter Chaos by gurunlocker: 8:59pm On Aug 11, 2019
thesicilian:

These oyinbo people self. Sometimes I just feel they're too overpampered. Or maybe it's my hardcore training in poverty speaking. I'm sure by the time the power is restored, all the Nigerian drivers would have reached home safely, leaving empty spaces in the gridlock on the roads.

Some Nigerian drivers can drive at night without headlamp grin grin

E be like say Naija be earth hell. If you can survive in Naija, you can survive anywhere. I just dey imagine a Naija guy in their midst, he go just dey laugh

(1) (Reply)

China Could Conquer Taiwan. / US Vs Iran: Breaking! / China Conducts Trial Operation On Its First Electric Passenger Ship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.