Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Castrol VS Mobil 1 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Castrol VS Mobil 1 (1917 Views)

................mobil 1 Oil Fake Vs Mobil 1 Original.......... / Toyota Oil Vs Mobil 1 (USA) / Production Of Castrol Automotive Engine Oil Commences In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Castrol VS Mobil 1 by slosempire: 2:54pm On Aug 10, 2019
Please which one is better.
I currently use the normal Mobil engine oil sold for 4800 but I intend changing to Mobil 1 - the green one on the pic

Please kindly advice.

Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by dru23(m): 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2019
slosempire:
I currently use the normal Mobil engine oil sold for 4800 but I intend changing to Mobil 1 - the green one on the pic

Please kindly advice.

Those oil are formulated for the African market... I will never use them on cars at all.. Most cars on the Nigeria roads are from the USA ... The USA government mandates that any cars coming to the USA have to follow guidelines .. So in essence the oils been used have to follow strict guidelines too ... so resulting in better oil and good for the environment too.. When it comes to cars people will prefer American spec overall, but in some cases Japan toyota engine is better made than their counter part in USA built better. Mercedes Benz built in Germany is much stronger ,faster than the USA .. Corolla built for the USA market is better than the ones built in South Africa or Canada ,and the list goes on and on ... Cars like the Nissan Gtr is built in Japan and sold in the USA ...better quality . I can go on and on and on .but I don' t have time
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by dru23(m): 3:36pm On Aug 10, 2019
slosempire:

Please kindly advice.

Always follow the manufacturer advice.....
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by slosempire: 3:38pm On Aug 10, 2019
dru23:

Those oil are formulated for the African market... I will never use them on cars at all.. Most cars on the Nigeria roads are from the USA ... The USA government mandates that any cars coming to the USA have to follow guidelines .. So in essence the oils been used have to follow strict guidelines too ... so resulting in better oil and good for the environment too.. When it comes to cars people will prefer American spec overall, but in some cases Japan toyota engine is better made than their counter part in USA built better. Mercedes Benz built in Germany is much stronger ,faster than the USA .. Corolla built for the USA market is better than the ones built in South Africa or Canada ,and the list goes on and on ... Cars like the Nissan Gtr is built in Japan and sold in the USA ...better quality . I can go on and on and on .but I don' t have time

Thanks so much but what do you advice I do?
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by dru23(m): 3:46pm On Aug 10, 2019
slosempire:

Thanks so much but what do you advice I do?

If the engine oil cap says use 5w30 use it o ..u can read the car manual ,sometimes it tells u if 5w30 is not available than use 5w20. Than next oil change go back to 5w30
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by Readonee35L(m): 4:17pm On Aug 10, 2019
dru23:

When you say formulated for african market.
Can you mention any car makers or models designed for african market?
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by Exponental(m): 4:30pm On Aug 10, 2019
OW-40 vs 5W-30.
CHECK the Oil cover in the engine. What your car needs is written on it. In some cars, not using the specified, error message will be displayed e.g check engine, oil change required etc
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by dru23(m): 4:36pm On Aug 10, 2019
Readonee35L:

When you say formulated for african market.
Can you mention any car makers or models designed for african market?

The African market is a dumping ground for a lot of goods. quality control is not aggressively enforced in Nigeria.. Unlike the USA , if any company fails the guidelines in the USA ,the government will fine them. This is how the government makes money.. For an example there was a major oil spill in the USA years ago by a Major oil company ..the oil company had to pay billions in fine .. If that spill occurred in Nigeria ,the fine will be very little or none at all ...
My point is that foreign companies do the bare minimum when it comes to making goods for Nigeria market.. It is not their fault at all ..since the government dont aggressively enforce the rules. Quality control is out the window ...
Do u think Toyota cars built in Nigeria will have the same quality as the USA ? Chances those Toyota will be made only for the Nigeria market. It might be a different type of Toyota self, but it will be built by Toyota
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by Readonee35L(m): 4:43pm On Aug 10, 2019
dru23:

The African market is a dumping ground for a lot of goods. quality control is not aggressively enforced in Nigeria.. Unlike the USA , if any company fails the guidelines in the USA ,the government will fine them. This is how the government makes money.. For an example there was a major oil spill in the USA years ago by a Major oil company ..the oil company had to pay billions in fine .. If that spill occurred in Nigeria ,the fine will be very little or none at all ...
My point is that foreign companies do the bare minimum when it comes to making goods for Nigeria market.. It is not their fault at all ..since the government dont aggressively enforce the rules. Quality control is out the window ...
Do u think Toyota cars built in Nigeria will have the same quality as the USA ? Chances those Toyota will be made only for the Nigeria market. It might be a different type of Toyota self, but it will be built by Toyota
Quality control
Understood.
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by dicksonadams(m): 5:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
But is Castrol oil OK for use here? Or is it mobile 1.
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by slosempire: 9:32pm On Aug 10, 2019
Exponental:
OW-40 vs 5W-30.
CHECK the Oil cover in the engine. What your car needs is written on it. In some cars, not using the specified, error message will be displayed e.g check engine, oil change required etc

This is the Manufacturer's spec.

Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by slosempire: 10:07pm On Aug 13, 2019
??
Re: Castrol VS Mobil 1 by nurey(m): 5:38am On Aug 14, 2019
slosempire:

Please kindly advice.

depends on how tolerant the engine in question is, 2az, 1mz that are known oil burner and sludge Kings Should not be irritated by oil mix to avoid aggressive symptoms of failure.

you have been 20w50 it would be more appropriate to find 10wxx to use first before going down to 5wxx. I don't expect you to use 0wxx for a car with high mileage that oil is too thin.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Pre-ordered Cars From Abroad & Cars From Cotonuo? / How Often Do You Look In Your Rear View Mirror? / Between Manual And Auto: Which Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.