Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Meet The 70 Year Old Fufu Seller Who Was Brutalised At Revolutionnow Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The 70 Year Old Fufu Seller Who Was Brutalised At Revolutionnow Protest (320 Views)

Joe Ajaero: I Was Brutalised, Detained By DSS – Oshiomhole / RevolutionNow Organizer Releases List Of Demands, Vows To Go Ahead With Protest / Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To Omoyele Sowore’s Arrest By DSS Over #revolutionnow Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet The 70 Year Old Fufu Seller Who Was Brutalised At Revolutionnow Protest by FatokunBabafemi(m): 10:21am On Aug 13, 2019
Meet my woman crush forever (WCF). Her name is Sariyu Akanmu, an Aged fufu-seller in Osogbo, Osun State. She hawks for 7 hours a day with her maximum profit at N1000. She doesn't know her age because her parents lacked basic knowledge of record-keeping when she was born but she assumes it's 70. She never had the opportunity to get educated due to financial constraints so she started the fufu trade at a very young age.
On Monday, 5th of August, she had embarked on her usual fufu trade when she caught sight of some protesting youths around Olaiya junction. She moved closer to the scene and heard the protesters saying Nigerians were suffering. She introspected herself and saw she was Nigerian and she was suffering. She dropped her fufu tray with a nearby trader and she joined the protest.
When asked if she was afraid of the armed security agents, she said couldn't continue hawking after listening to the protesters and their demands which resonated with her. She said, why would she be afraid of death when the young boys were not. In her words, 'I am old and do not have many years to live but I wish to enjoy my remaining years on earth. And I heard life can only be good when there is constant electricity, good roads and other basic amenities'.
However, her old age and feminine status didn't spare her from the brutality of the 'Zombies in Uniform'. She was dragged and hit on her waist with the butt of a gun- with a young policewoman playing the lead role. Despite sustaining severe injury on her hand that has affected her fufu-processing, she lost an amount of N3200 from her fufu proceeds. When asked what she will tell the fellow woman that beat her if she sees her again, she said she will thank her for assaulting her and she should be ready to kill her next time there is a protest. And finally, when asked if she knew Sowore, she said no and asked who he was. And when she was asked if she regretted her action, she said she would still join if there is another protest... Later, she would go and treat her injuries at a local medicine store because she couldn't afford the expenses of an hospital. Even at that, she still didn't have enough to pay the medicine seller.
This is the story of Mama Sariyu, the fufu seller, who stood for a cause she believed in without inducement or appeal, when many at her age and below have turned to purchasable electoral commodity of N500-N3000, which is only renewable at the end of 4 years.
This is the story of a fearless fufu seller who rose against tyranny, when the working class has shrieked to death over their poor welfare and owed salaries.
This is the story of a woman who was born before Nigeria got independence, saw the fall of military and rise of democracy, and yet stood for a nation that post-1960 borns have lost hope in.
This is the story of an illiterate fufu seller who represnted freedom when our most celebrated emeritus professors, especially, vice-chancellors have turned to ambassadors of oppression.
Madam Sariyu Akanmu is not only a fufu-seller, she is a freedom-seller. Sadly, not many Nigerians buy such commodity. Nigerians only trade with those that rob them of true freedom to give them failed universities and hospitals with N500 during elections.
With the above said, I make no hesitation to declare that Mama Sariyu Akanmu is my woman crush forever and, for me, she is one of the greatest Nigerians that ever lived.

1 Like

Re: Meet The 70 Year Old Fufu Seller Who Was Brutalised At Revolutionnow Protest by Kingosytex(m): 10:23am On Aug 13, 2019
Yes, I have met her @ op can you now give me the reward for meeting her?

Wow! the woman understood the fact that she was suffering and had to join the protest, nice one from her.

Despite the loss she encountered (her money got missing), the maltreatment and the injuries she sustained as a result of the protest, she was still determined to fight her cause.

I salute this woman's bravery, determination and doggedness. If only the masses can emulate this woman and the shites, there is nothing that can stop us from achieving meaningful and tangible results but it is a pity that the politicians have used the age long divide and rule approach to manipulate, brainwash and weaken the masses...everybody isn't poor neither is everybody is suffering, so Nigerians uniting for common cause is a near impossible task...at the end of it, it is all man for himself, God for us all.
Re: Meet The 70 Year Old Fufu Seller Who Was Brutalised At Revolutionnow Protest by alizma: 10:26am On Aug 13, 2019
OP is not current, the last "electoral commodity" was sold for 10k

(1) (Reply)

*el-zakzaky Smiles, Tells His Story In A New Video / Video Of El-zakzaky Saying He Wants To Destroy Nigeria / Apc Gave Me N13 Million For 2019 Election Says Suspected Kidnapper, Wadume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.