Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? (10669 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 20, 2010
Pls let me know.i want to sell a car,should i pay tithe
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:51pm On Oct 20, 2010
Why not kuku submit the car as the tithe?
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 6:21pm On Oct 20, 2010
babaearly:

Pls let me know.i want to sell a car,should i pay tithe

Your car is a capital item and you must have tithed on the initial income that generated the cash used for the acquisition.

if you made a profit on the sale i.e. sold in excess of the estimated market value (it may neccessary for you to consult a valuer), the profit (the difference between the sales price and estimated market value) is tithe-able. Another term for this is 'capital gains tithe'

If sold at a loss, i.e. below the estimated market value, it means you must have paid excess tithe on the initial income that generated the cash for the car. You then need to see your pastor for a refund. The refund is calculated to be 10% of the difference between the estimated market value aand the sales value. Its possible you cant get a refund cos the money would have been been spent to meet the unquenchable needs of the church/pastor, so you might need to deduct/recover from subsequent tithe liabilities/remittances (you dont need the pastor's approval to proceed with this approach).

This is the simpliest approach i can think of. There are other more complex approach, but am not sure you will be interested grin
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 20, 2010
Really?
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by skyone(m): 7:02pm On Oct 20, 2010
Zikkyy:

Your car is a capital item and you must have tithed on the initial income that generated the cash used for the acquisition.

if you made a profit on the sale i.e. sold in excess of the estimated market value (it may neccessary for you to consult a valuer), the profit (the difference between the sales price and estimated market value) is tithe-able. Another term for this is 'capital gains tithe'

If sold at a loss, i.e. below the estimated market value, it means you must have paid excess tithe on the initial income that generated the cash for the car. You then need to see your pastor for a refund. The refund is calculated to be 10% of the difference between the estimated market value aand the sales value. Its possible you cant get a refund cos the money would have been been spent to meet the unquenchable needs of the church/pastor, so you might need to deduct/recover from subsequent tithe liabilities/remittances (you dont need the pastor's approval to proceed with this approach).

This is the simpliest approach i can think of. There are other more complex approach, but am not sure you will be interested  grin

I share your ability of trying very hard to be intellectual but i humbly advice you stick to that very command of the ONE who made your brain and allowed it to function up till this moment.

Malachi 3:8-11

“Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, In what way have we robbed You? In tithes and offerings.
(9) You are cursed with a curse, For you have robbed Me, Even this whole nation.
(10) Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this, Says the LORD of hosts, If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.
(11) And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field, Says the LORD of hosts;”

The earth is the Lord's, and all its fullness, The world and those who dwell therein” (Psa. 24:1).

Let me tell you, you own nothing in this world, that's just the irony of it and if God is asking you of the first fruit (10%) of any income that comes to you He is only testing your ability to give plus generosity period. He doesn't need YOUR MONEY WHATSOEVER. Give or not the world rolls on but remember a farmer that sows  nothing reaps mathematically zero in fact  if care is not taking termites may come in to eat up the remaining harvest.
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 20, 2010
Let me share a personal experience. In jan 2007, i sold a honda accord hala for N100,000&bought same in 1999 for N430,000. The first sunday in february, i paid N10,000 as tithe. To date, i have no regret cos i ve been blessed more now than then. A church member took a loan to execute a contract, N30,000,000&first paid N3,000,000 as tithe(2008). Today hes one of the richest in the assembly.
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Kay17: 8:31pm On Oct 20, 2010
Zikkyy:

This is the simpliest approach i can think of. There are other more complex approach, but am not sure you will be interested grin

At the first paragraph, I thought you were serious! But it should apply, great deal of common sense.

toba:

Let me share a personal experience. In jan 2007, i sold a honda accord hala for N100,000&bought same in 1999 for N430,000. The first sunday in february, i paid N10,000 as tithe. To date, i have no regret cos i ve been blessed more now than then. A church member took a loan to execute a contract, N30,000,000&first paid N3,000,000 as tithe(2008). Today hes one of the richest in the assembly.
Is this how Nigerians operate? Commit a part of a loan useless! Its should be govt contract undecided
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Rhino3dm: 8:58pm On Oct 20, 2010
Bull crap. Not until u provide 'facts' invoice, receipt or whatever this is BS. . . . Cant believe Honda hala sold for N100,000 in 2007 after been use for 8years is this joke or what. Am outta here.

toba:

Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 20, 2010
toba:

A church member took a loan to execute a contract, N30,000,000&first paid N3,000,000 as tithe(2008). Today hes one of the richest in the assembly.

Thats really uncool. Even God wont vex if he didnt pay tithe from that loan
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

Bull crap. Not until u provide 'facts' invoice, receipt or whatever this is BS. . . . Cant believe Honda hala sold for N100,000 in 2007 after been use for 8years is this joke or what. Am outta here.

this just shows your thinking isn't as fast as the movement of a snail. That u don't believe in a thing or haven't heard of something makes such not to be true. A right think person could have asked about the condition of the car or reason of sale before doubting. I owe u no explanation. I said from personal experience. Go do whatever if u aren't satisfied u goon. Mind your words&don't get me angry or else i will mess u up big time
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 20, 2010
Kay 17:

Is this how Nigerians operate? Commit a part of a loan useless! Its should be govt contract  undecided
The way Nigerians operate differs a lot. Some are atheists whilst others are not. Some are tithers, whilst others are not. U may think its useless to u,but the person that did what u call useless sees it as useful. Whats the big deal? I might not do that personally(cant say for sure till such come my way) but the person that did understands reason for doing so
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 20, 2010
makeitsoon:

Thats really uncool. Even God wont vex if he didnt pay tithe from that loan
See my response above to Kay. People are motivated differently. The man in question took the decision&sees it really cool rather than really uncool. That God would vex or wouldnt i may not be able to say a yes or a no. Pls note, the contract he got wasnt for govt ooo. It was normal private firm to firm
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Rhino3dm: 4:50am On Oct 21, 2010
You are a coward and a waste of spamatozoa, an apology to human race and  unfortunate. reproductive accident that suppose to have been terminated right after the fertilization. Pathetic fool suck it up cos you are a bit.c.h. 

toba:

this just shows your thinking isn't as fast as the movement of a snail. That u don't believe in a thing or haven't heard of something makes such not to be true. A right think person could have asked about the condition of the car or reason of sale before doubting. I owe u no explanation. I said from personal experience. Go do whatever if u aren't satisfied u goon. Mind your words&don't get me angry or else i will mess u up big time
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Kay17: 1:42pm On Oct 21, 2010
The loan was meant for whatever business, they contracted for. But what they did not anticipate, was certain sum would be committed for religious purposes, had that being disclosed he would not have been given the loan! Its lying and a sin to you people, misappropriation of funds!
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 21, 2010
U must agree with me that business' are done in other to make profit/gain. Lets say his gain was that N3m or more and then paid the whole as tithe. do u think he sinned if the bolded were to be correct?
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by JeSoul(f): 2:50pm On Oct 21, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

You are a coward and a waste of spamatozoa, an apology to human race and unfortunate. reproductive accident that suppose to have been terminated right after the fertilization. Pathetic fool suck it up cos you are a bit.c.h.
Rhino you're so much more of a gentleman than this now sad. I know Toba poked a bit but this comeback was extreme. Please continue in the cordial fashion you're known for okay.

Toba, how you wan take "mess him up big time"? please you too, try to be cordial as well.

I don't want to have to use the delete or lock button on this thread.
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 21, 2010
JeSoul:

Toba, how you wan take "mess him up big time"? please you too, try to be cordial as well.

I don't want to have to use the delete or lock button on this thread.
Cut it off. This is the 2nd time this chap is behaving like a nuisance and yet the bolded is what u ve got to say? Smh

Rhino.3dm on October 11, 2010, 05:37 PM:

May anyone lying between Rhino and toba should die by a terrible mysterious car accident before this year runs out. Am waiting for you to take up the challenge and i indulge all NLanders to bear witness today or for ever you remain silent.

This ur mukina2 was the first to complain. Im not too gentle and im sure u know that very well.
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by JeSoul(f): 3:02pm On Oct 21, 2010
Toba take it easy brother.

I know the attitudes and behaviors of a good portion of the posters in here, and I know Rhino is not typically a trouble-maker hence just a caution to him. If it were a constant nuisance (they know themselves) I would delete or recommend for ban right away. Part of maintaining law & order is knowing when to bring the hammer down and when to show restraint Toba. We are the christians, and we must hold ourselves to a much higher standard than those around us. Hence I encourage you to look the other way, turn the other cheek sometimes when you're insulted. It will do far greater good than to reply in kind.

Let this end with my post. If you (or Rhino) have any other comments please forward to the "Complaint thread" and let Babaearly's thread continue in peace.
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Oct 21, 2010
U would recall that this would be the 3rd/4th time since u became a moderator that u ve told me to bury my anger even when u know i was wrongly attacked. Just imagine for your self. I sold a car for certain amount. A reasonable person could have asked for the reason of sale. If the car was almost written off couldn't that price be realistic? or if i decided to throw it as a gift isnt that also possible? yet someone openly spoke trash in response to something that wasn't directed to him. faceless forums sometimes don't allow pple to know their level

[size=15pt]    I rest my case tentatively for your sake[/size]
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by JeSoul(f): 3:38pm On Oct 21, 2010
Toba meet me over on the "Complaint thread".
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by yommyuk: 4:29am On Oct 22, 2010
personal choice
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 8:50am On Oct 22, 2010
@Post
These are the kind of questions hat comes up when scriptures are manipulated to suit the whims and caprices of preachers, ideally what should guide us is what the bible says. Is there a single example of anybody selling his/her property in the bible and paying a tithe out of it infact is there even a single example of anybody paying monetary tithes in the bible if we learn to read our bibles well and depend it for guidiance without infusing hubris into it, one would learn that as a christian you have know business paying tithes of income talkless of on sale of property.
Re: If I Sell My Property, Should I Still Pay Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 8:56am On Oct 22, 2010
toba:

The highlighted above is a very good example of false, twisted and mis-leading testimony. For the man to be in a position to take a N30,000,000 loan he must have been a relatively rich man in the first instance and we all know that in Nigeria people make as much as 100-200% margins on contracts depending on who gave the contract. So if he made N60,000,000 from the contract is no biggy. better still he could have settled those who gave him the contract to ensure he gets such jobs regularly so how won't he be a able to grow his riches. Ascribing his wealth to the ill conceived tithes he paid is very dis-honest and mis-leading. tongue

(1) (Reply)

Godly Sins And Their Underlying Usefulness by UnoDiscuss / The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. / Do Jet Owning Churches Care For The Poor - By Leke Beecroft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.