Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals (12421 Views)

Asisat Oshoala Scores From A Bicycle Kick As Barcelona Beat Benfica 5-0 / Neymar Scores Stunning Bicycle Kick Goal On Return From Injury (Photos) / Cristiano Ronaldo Rehearsed Bicycle Kick A Day Before Scoring Bicycle Kick Goal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by obembet(f): 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2019
We all want to emulate our heroes on the football pitch, but figuring out how to score a bicycle kick takes plenty of practice and luck.

There are certain skills that footballers do on a pitch which bamboozle opponents and send spectators home with a sense of awe.

Things such as stepovers and mazy dribbles where players glide past defenders are commonplace, but a bicycle kick goal is a much rarer occurrence.

Its relative rarity makes it all the more sweet when it is successfully achieved and some of the game's best players have managed to do just that.

We take a look at the bicycle kick, how to do one and some of the best examples from the game.

What is a bicycle kick?
A bicycle kick is a method of striking the ball in football which involves a player being airborne while connecting.

Also known as an overhead kick and sometimes as a scissors kick, it is called a bicycle kick because the kicker's motions when attempting it bring to mind the action of pedalling a bike.

The bicycle kick usually requires a player to have their back to the goal and, after jumping into the air, the aim is to kick the ball backwards or over one's head into the net (hence the alternative name, overhead kick).

When and where a bicycle kick first originated remains the subject of debate, but it is felt to have gained popularity first in South America before spreading across the world.
Successfully executing a bicycle kick requires a high level of skill and physical dexterity, as well as a lot of practice so that if the opportunity arises during a game you will be well prepared.

It can only be done when the ball is travelling through the air towards the kicker, either from directly above or the side at a height.

Here is a step-by-step guide to performing a bicycle kick:

1. Keep your eye on the ball at all times.

2. Jump using the leg that you kick with while also bringing your other leg up.

3. Allow yourself to fall backwards while in the air.

4. While airborne, use your kicking leg to kick at the ball, while also bringing your free leg down simultaneously.

5. Position your arms and body to break the fall.

6. Celebrate ecstatically!

Be aware that a bicycle kick is a high-risk skill to perform on the pitch given the nature of the maneouvre and the potential for collision.
Ronaldo bicycle kick goal
One of Cristiano Ronaldo's most iconic goals was a bicycle kick which he executed to perfection while playing for Real Madrid in the quarter-final of the 2017-18 Champions League againt Juventus.

Having scored the opener in Turin - and making history in the process - Ronaldo's second goal of the evening was an acrobatic effort that will live long in the memory of all who witnessed it.

Indeed, so impressed were Juve fans by the strike that they rose to their feet and applauded the feat of the Portugal star - an act which had a profound impact on the player.

"It was, in my opinion, one of the best goals of my career so far," Ronaldo said in a subsequent interview with DAZN.

"And, of course, when the people start to applaud me in the stadium I was like, ‘wow'.

"It surprised me a lot because this has never happened in my life, so it was an unbelievable moment."

Bale bicycle kick goal
Not to be outdone by his erstwhile team-mate Ronaldo, Gareth Bale produced an equally outstanding bicycle kick goal in the 2017-18 Champions League final for Real Madrid against Liverpool.

With the score poised at 1-1, Bale entered the fray as a substitute just after the hour mark and a few minutes later he was flying through the air to send the ball beyond the reach of Loris Karius.

Remarkably, the strike was the Wales international's seventh touch since his introduction and he then went on to score the all-important insurance goal with seven minutes left on the clock.

"It was just one of those things. It was the perfect height and it's just instinct, you just try these things," a typically understated Bale told UEFA of the goal.

"Thankfully it came off. I made a great connection with the ball and it was great to see it go into the back of the net."

Curiously, however, Bale's bicycle kick goal in the final lost out to Ronaldo's quarter-final effort against Juventus for that season's UEFA Goal of the Season award.

Ibrahimovic bicycle kick goal
For some, Zlatan Ibrahimovic's arrogance is off-putting, but the former Barcelona and AC Milan star consistently backs it up and it will be no surprise to learn that he scored arguably one of the best bicycle kicks.

It came in November 2012 in a game against England and he pulled it off from all of 30 yards after cannily anticipating the movement of Three Lions goalkeeper Joe Hart.

The bicycle kick goal was Ibrahimovic's fourth of the game, meaning he scored every goal in the 4-2 victory.
The Telegraph match report said of the goal that it could be "talked about as one of the greatest in the history of the game" and Steven Gerrard, who played in the match, said it was one of the best he had seen.

Since the goal came in a friendly match rather than a competitive, high-stakes encounter, however, it lacks a certain sheen. Nevertheless, it remains one of the most impressive examples of a bicycle kick.

Source: https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/how-to-do-bicycle-kick-football-ronaldo-zlatan-best-overhead/42yoweyqasxu10j0bphj9pwv5

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Dizzyrascal(m): 10:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
My favourite is RONALDO's overhead kick against Juventus. I am just happy to have been privileged to watch it live. A MOMENT IN HISTORY.....I watched it LIVE wow!!!!!! I still remember everything(sigh)

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Dizzyrascal(m): 11:37pm On Aug 15, 2019
Obembet pls check out my new profile picture........
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by obembet(f): 8:22am On Aug 16, 2019
Dizzyrascal:

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by obembet(f): 11:05am On Aug 16, 2019
Lalasticlala
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by mosegifted: 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2019
The day I tried bicycle kick without practicing it, was the day I knew there was hell for real

11 Likes

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Madaraa1(m): 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2019
zlatan did it better

1 Like

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by ossaisly(m): 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2019
YOU CAN ONLY KICK THE BALL AS IT DEMANDS, NOTHING LIKE HOW TO DO A BIKE KICK

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by TechCapon(m): 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2019
Emmanuel Adebayor scored something that almost looks like a bicycle kick during his time in arsenal. The only problem is that the ball landed on his chest first before the bicycle kick

4 Likes

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by PlayerMeji: 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2019
Someone is coming to say Messi has no bicycle kicks na...

5 Likes

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Deejaygold(m): 12:58pm On Aug 16, 2019
Like for CR7 and Share for Messi

33 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by MachadoPreto: 12:58pm On Aug 16, 2019
The stage and timing of Ronaldo's own made it the greatest.

Happened at a stage and second you cant imagine seeing a spectacular goal.

8 Likes

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Sanchez01: 12:58pm On Aug 16, 2019
Arthritis and rheumatism patients shouldn't dream of it. If your best snack is Eba, stay away as well grin

10 Likes

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2019
Nice.. But I actually saw this on my Allfootball App last night. And OP uses Goal.com as his source.. I thought it was posted on Allfootball and not Goal.
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by temifunx: 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2019
hmm
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Johnkennie(m): 1:00pm On Aug 16, 2019
I dont like bicycle kick... i want the natural kick. goal is goal ;DI dont like bicycle kick... i want the natural kick. goal is goal
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Deltayankeeboi: 1:00pm On Aug 16, 2019
Dizzyrascal:
sex starved boy. I weep on your behalf. Obembet is a male disguising as female. Stop disgracing your family members here.

5 Likes

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by SEEDORF441(m): 1:00pm On Aug 16, 2019
Please don't try it at home o especially when ball no dey
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by kernel001: 1:00pm On Aug 16, 2019
It doesn't happen every year.
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by LearnGraphics(m): 1:01pm On Aug 16, 2019
These people are earning with their skills. you too can earn with your creativity!
Join the ongoing masterclass smiley
https://www.nairaland.com/5357126/want-earn-10-15k-weekly-designing
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by realstars: 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2019
What of wheelbarrow kick?
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by majamajic(m): 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2019
Rooney against man city nko ?

6 Likes

Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by saracus(f): 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2019
grin
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Commentor: 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2019
Ronaldinho's execution was the most difficult.
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by ikombe: 1:05pm On Aug 16, 2019
Contact me for your Gym and Exercise equipment both Home and Commercial Use

check my signature and profile for more info.

Delivery Within Lagos. Waybill outside lagos.
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 16, 2019
BK wey I dey do wella
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by Toscarel: 1:07pm On Aug 16, 2019
Don't try that nonsense at home?
You are not being paid for stupidity
Re: How To Do A Bicycle Kick On The Pitch: Ronaldo, Zlatan & Best Overhead Goals by martowskin1(m): 1:07pm On Aug 16, 2019
TechCapon:
Emmanuel Adebayor scored something that almost looks like a bicycle kick during his time in arsenal. The only problem is that the ball landed on his chest first before the bicycle kick

U will not make heaven grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Largest Super Eagles Jersey Unveiled By Guinness / Oshoala Scores, Provides Assist As Barcelona Beat Montpellier 6 - 1 / NPFL: Heartland Vs Kano Pillars (1 - 0) On 30th April 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.