Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,970 members, 7,825,034 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) (12495 Views)

Pictures From Osun-Osogbo Festival 2023 / Photos From 2021 Osun Osogbo Festival / Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 16, 2019
I actually thought Beyonce was going to pull a surprise on us and show up at the festival.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by ekestic1976(f): 4:32pm On Aug 16, 2019
Many of these folks will certainly return to the gods of the bible and the koran on sunday and even later today. What a lie this nigeria really is!

1 Like

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by rafabenitez: 4:40pm On Aug 16, 2019
Pastors adeboye and oyedepo dont host mega crusades in dere home states and convert dese ones,dey r busy chewing gullible igbos.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by highbee02: 4:47pm On Aug 16, 2019
can somebody hook me up with Arugba after the festival? lo
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by vaxx: 4:52pm On Aug 16, 2019
LEOSIRSIR:
The annual Osun Osogbo festival is going on, Brief info

The origin and story of Osun festival started over 700 years ago when a group of settlers led by one great hunter, Olutimehin settled on the bank of the river to escape the famine in their former dwelling place. Osun, the water goddess was said to have appeared to Olutimehin and requested him and his group to move up some bit to higher ground – the present Osogbo town. Osun pledged to protect the group and make their women fruitful if they would offer an annual sacrifice to her in return. The group agreed, vowing to sacrifice annually to the goddess trusting that she would honour her promise. Today, the annual sacrifice has gone past just offering sacrifices to a river goddess, it has become an international celebration of cultural events attracting people from all over the world.

The Osun Osogbo festival is celebrated every year, for two weeks in the month of August. The festival begins with Iwopopo, the traditional cleansing of the town of evil. After three days, the Ina Olujumerindinlogun, a 600-year-old, 16-point lamp is lighted. Following this, is the Iboriade, where all the crowns of the past kings or Ataojas are assembled for blessing by the sitting Ataoja of Osogbo, the Arugba, the Yeye Osun, and a committee of priestesses.

The ‘Arugba’ also known as the ‘Calabash carrier’ is the key figure of the Osun Osogbo festival. She is a votary virgin, a cultural version of the Virgin Mary, who bears the Osun calabash on her head. The calabash contains sacrifice for the goddess. The Arugba is not only seen as a virgin maid but also as a goddess so people pray and tell her all their problems as she leads them, with the calabash on her head to the river. The current Arugba, Osuntomi Oyetunji, is the young daughter of the sitting Ataoja of Osogbo.

The story of Osun Osogbo festival includes the role of Susanne Wenger, an Austrian who worked towards its present development and to bring it to international attention. From the early 1950’s, she devoted the rest of her life to the restoration of the abandoned shrines. She remodelled the gods in sculpture and ceramics, and made over 75 cultural gods in artful representations. Wenger stopped people from abusing the integrity of the groves and prohibited hunting, fishing, felling of trees there. She personally rebuilt the customary shrines and groves again until her death.

The Osun festival started as an annual sacrifice to the river goddess. Presently, it is an international celebration of cultural events. The Osun Osogbo festival is no longer a cultural event of the Osogbo or Yoruba people, it has become a global event with people attending from Cuba, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Spain, Canada, and the United States.

Adherents of Osun goddess travel from all over the world to attend the annual cultural event in Osogbo, Osun State. The traditional ruler of Osogbo Town, the Ataoja of Osogbo - HRM Oba Jimoh Olanpekun Larooye II, the Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC) representing the federal government, and the Osun State government all collaborate to make the annual event a great success.
OMI OTA AGBA o. ore yeye osun ooooooooooooooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by LEOSIRSIR(m): 5:03pm On Aug 16, 2019
Oroki agbe ooo.

OROSUNBOLB:
My sweet hometown ! Love yah!
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by FisifunKododada: 5:18pm On Aug 16, 2019
Beautiful something...to God be the glory...Osun, Sango, Ogun, Ayelaye etc. E gbayi o!
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by landmarker(m): 5:18pm On Aug 16, 2019
One excellent thing from Osun state. Happy celebration

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Ijaya123: 5:26pm On Aug 16, 2019
fusionnest:
IDOL WORSHIPPERS

What do they worship in Orkija shrine?

3 Likes

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by okeniti: 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2019
Wonderful stuff. I would love to attend one day.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by seunmohmoh(f): 5:50pm On Aug 16, 2019
Seen
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Biritiko: 6:13pm On Aug 16, 2019
Yamleg:
Can Buhari be dethroned there?
Yam leg osu Ipob spotted.
Just look at his moniker
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by JuanDeDios: 6:33pm On Aug 16, 2019
iykecicero:
Beware, head hunters and skull miners on the loose till the festival ends!
As far as I know, the Osun Festival does not involve human sacrifice. This isn't Oro or some other Satanic cult festival.

2 Likes

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 8:15pm On Aug 16, 2019
LEOSIRSIR:
Oroki agbe ooo.

Ase! Oroki asala!
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 16, 2019
I love the Yoruba culture,
But still a pity that upon the great work of God through many of their indigenes,
Idolatry is still a core part of their culture,may God save us all.

1 Like

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Ijawwomaninoyo: 8:50pm On Aug 16, 2019
kheny12:
When will sense locate you, try to be reasonable for once.

After the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Biglogo(m): 9:08pm On Aug 16, 2019
Its part of our culture, just like Christianity is part of western culture. If u know u know

1 Like

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by macof(m): 1:04am On Aug 17, 2019
Chidorx60:
I love the Yoruba culture,
But still a pity that upon the great work of God through many of their indigenes,
Idolatry is still a core part of their culture,may God save us all.

Idolatry is a core part of Christianity. So shut up
Go and learn the meaning of idol
The origin of the word and its most proper usage
There is no greater Form of idolatry like that found in Christianity

You don't love Yoruba culture. There is no Yoruba without our òrìṣà
So you can't see you love Yoruba culture but complain about the foundation of said culture
You only make yourself appear idiotic

3 Likes

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by fusionnest: 7:00am On Aug 17, 2019
Ijaya123:

What do they worship in Orkija shrine?

Go ahead and tell US NAH
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Ijaya123: 7:35am On Aug 17, 2019
fusionnest:

Go ahead and tell US NAH

The hypocrisy in you will not allow you answer.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 18, 2019
macof:

Idolatry is a core part of Christianity. So shut up
Go and learn the meaning of idol
The origin of the word and its most proper usage
There is no greater Form of idolatry like that found in Christianity

You don't love Yoruba culture. There is no Yoruba without our òrìṣà
So you can't see you love Yoruba culture but complain about the foundation of said culture
You only make yourself appear idiotic
It is people like u that end up disgracing the great image of the Yoruba people,
Should I really be borthered by the hugwash u posted above,
I don't have time to waste on a person who can relate Christianity with idols so I advice u to take ur confusion elsewhere .
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by macof(m): 9:07pm On Aug 18, 2019
Chidorx60:

It is people like u that end up disgracing the great image of the Yoruba people,
Should I really be borthered by the hugwash u posted above,
I don't have time to waste on a person who can relate Christianity with idols so I advice u to take ur confusion elsewhere .

You must be a foolish idiott who cares about what you think about my people? Fuvk off with your half baked love for Yoruba culture.

And yes, Christianity is even more of idolatry than you think my culture is.
If you don't like the word "idolatry" so much maybe you should stop using it on other people.
And I bet this fool is African that comes from a culture not so different from that of the Yorubas... Yet the Bastard is calling Yoruba culture idolatry. Your father there. Olosi oloriburuku
Enough of all this bullying from Christians. Traditionalists have stopped keeping quiet for you Bastard slaves

2 Likes

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 18, 2019
macof:

You must be a foolish idiott who cares about what you think about my people? Fuvk off with your half baked love for Yoruba culture.

And yes, Christianity is even more of idolatry than you think my culture is.
If you don't like the word "idolatry" so much maybe you should stop using it on other people.
And I bet this fool is African that comes from a culture not so different from that of the Yorubas... Yet the Bastard is calling Yoruba culture idolatry. Your father there. Olosi oloriburuku
Enough of all this bullying from Christians. Traditionalists have stopped keeping quiet for you Bastard slaves
I just realized that I was talking to an everlasting slowpoke ,
My God, social media have really allowed babarians to interact with normal people,
Who cares about ur non beneficial native wood and stone works in your grandfathers farm,
I can really see that you lack any atom of sense,what more can I expect from a follower of chalks and kolanuts.

Don't ever in ur miserable life quote me,I'm not in ur level of mental reasoning okay,
Their are enough babalawos to banter words with ,idiot.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by dayleke: 10:28pm On Aug 18, 2019
flowmama:

please make the pictures bigger

Was thinking the same thing o.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by macof(m): 10:11am On Aug 19, 2019
Chidorx60:

I just realized that I was talking to an everlasting slowpoke ,
My God, social media have really allowed babarians to interact with normal people,
Who cares about ur non beneficial native wood and stone works in your grandfathers farm,
I can really see that you lack any atom of sense,what more can I expect from a follower of chalks and kolanuts.

Don't ever in ur miserable life quote me,I'm not in ur level of mental reasoning okay,
Their are enough babalawos to banter words with ,idiot.

Still displaying your idiocy. Typical of a stupid dead jew worshipper
It is your pastor and your stupid family that are barbarians, I mean obviously, that is why you have no respect for people's culture because you have none.

I don't need you to care about me or anything concerning the Yoruba that's the point, I see you are too idiotic to comprehend that. You bastard liar, why did you lie that you love the Yoruba culture then turn around to say who cares?? Very useless slowpoke like his gay idiot master from Israel
I see through all your lies. Take your hate disguised as love and shove it up your pastor's asss. Oponu

1 Like

Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 19, 2019
macof:

Still displaying your idiocy. Typical of a stupid dead jew worshipper
It is your pastor and your stupid family that are barbarians, I mean obviously, that is why you have no respect for people's culture because you have none.

I don't need you to care about me or anything concerning the Yoruba that's the point, I see you are too idiotic to comprehend that. You bastard liar, why did you lie that you love the Yoruba culture then turn around to say who cares?? Very useless slowpoke like his gay idiot master from Israel
I see through all your lies. Take your hate disguised as love and shove it up your pastor's asss. Oponu
I love all other Yoruba cultural except their idolatry, Go and hug transformer if u feel I shouldn't,
Idiot, defender of all the lifeless idols,
I fully grasp the fact that you are a madman, reasonable Yoruba folks will easily understand that my dislike for idolatry is general and not only towards Yoruba people, but its an impossibility for a fool like u to comprehend.

Buffon go back to the shrine u came from,we are not on the same level at all.

By the way,I'm not abusing u,
but I'm only describing u for lack of better words to use in the most honest manner.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2019
This is the last time I'm replying that brain dead ancestral spirit called macof,
Their are better things to do than waste my time on a babalawo,

May the evangelist in ur region convert u and if u decide to pose a threat against the work of God,u will surely suffer judgement together with ur father the Devil.
Re: Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) by macof(m): 7:51pm On Aug 19, 2019
Chidorx60:

I love all other Yoruba cultural except their idolatry, Go and hug transformer if u feel I shouldn't,
Idiot, defender of all the lifeless idols,
I fully grasp the fact that you are a madman, reasonable Yoruba folks will easily understand that my dislike for idolatry is general and not only towards Yoruba people, but its an impossibility for a fool like u to comprehend.

Buffon go back to the shrine u came from,we are not on the same level at all.

By the way,I'm not abusing u,
but I'm only describing u for lack of better words to use in the most honest manner.

Lmao grin I should go and hug transformer on top my own culture? Ọmọ ale ni bọbọ yi ṣa
It is not your place to dictate to me, my people don't depend on your love.. Fake love for that matter.
You don't come saying you love a culture and attack its foundation.. You are so stupid

Your father and all your fraudsters called pastors are not on my level. Idiotic fool thinks being a traditionalist is to be a low life.. I told you, keep displaying your idiocy and ignorance. it does not bother me at all
There are traditionalists in all spheres, in academia, business, music everywhere doing good. So you fool yourself to think you are above me in class...grin imagine a slave without a culture, a slave that does not know his ancestors, you want to talk about who is above who? Who tha heck are you? A foul hateful idiot that has no ancestry, no usefulness to his people, no connection to the land he lives, a lost soul with no home in the world.. A damned slave
And you want to talk about levels.. Oloshi

Go and deal with the idolatry in your Christianity, deal with the fraud and deceit of your pastors before you talk about my culture. I can't even talk about yoir culture, because you have none, totally disconnected from his spirit grin loser of life, uncultured swine

You idiotic bastards have taken the tolerance and kindness of traditionalist for granted for too long

Chidorx60:
This is the last time I'm replying that brain dead ancestral spirit called macof,
Their are better things to do than waste my time on a babalawo,

May the evangelist in ur region convert u and if u decide to pose a threat against the work of God,u will surely suffer judgement together with ur father the Devil.
I am far from brain dead but you have been brainwashed. The only problem here is with your state of mind.. A state of mind that has been cleared off all sense of its identity, an uncultured mind, creating a personality of hatred and intolerance
You are menace to human coinhabitation of this beautiful planet, a person who cannot read a thread of people celebrating their culture and leave.. Must you display your hatred? Must you attack people? Must you insult people who know much more about life than your stupid fraudster pastors will ever do?
Can't you read and pass? Hate is what your religion breeds,... Worse hatred against yourself
This very culture you attack is much like yours, because I'm sure you are African, I suspect igbo
But you are disconnected from your igbo ancestors and have nothing of them, you belong nowhere in the world, a lost soul of no usefulness, you have used your own hand to eliminate yourself... Because what are you without an identity? What are you without an heritage = you are a common slave.
What are you when you insult your ancestors, a bastard

It is that very devil that is your father, in fact your father and your useless pastors are devils

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sultan Of Sokoto Attends Convocation Of International Islamic University, Uganda / Ishan/esan Names / Which Nigerian Tribes Eat Dog?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.