Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped (1309 Views)

Inside Rivers Primary School With No Roof , Windows. And Pupils Sit On Filth / Inside Rivers Primary School With No Roof, Pupils Learn With Faeces On The Floor / Inside Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped by JosEast(m): 6:16am On Aug 17, 2019
Popularly known as the First Port Harcourt Central Mosque, the oldest mosque in Rivers State, located at Victoria Street in Port Harcourt, is a meeting point for the northern community resident in Rivers State. The mosque, established in 1964, had in the past hosted prominent northern leaders who had worshipped there during their professional sojourn in Rivers State or during a visit.

Upgraded and presently undergoing total renovation, the Mosque was the worship centre for late General Sani Abacha when he was Commander of the 2 Amphibious Brigade in 1977.

Also, Col. Musa Shehu was said to have been using the Mosque as his worship center when he was the Military Administrator of Rivers State between 1996 and 1997.

Col. Dauda Musa Komo is not a Muslim but sources close to the Mosque told our correspondent that some of the subordinates of the ex military officer who were Muslims worshipped at the Mosque when he held sway as the Military Administrator of Rivers State. President Muhammadu Buhari was also said to have worshipped in the mosque during his visit to Port Harcourt in 1999 and 2003.The mosque is a beehive of activities every Friday during the Jumat service.

Chief Imam of the mosque, Alhaji Idris Adamu Chief Imam of the mosque, Alhaji Idris Adamu On every Jumat service, Muslim from all the nooks and crannies of the state converge at the Mosque for the prayer session. Alhaji Idris Adamu is the Chief Imam of the Mosque.

He said the Mosque, founded in the 1960s before the Civil War, is a melting pot for all the northerners in Rivers State as well as visitors. “The Mosque was in a small building until worshippers realized that it was no longer befitting of their status and decided to rebuild it. “It is presently undergoing renovation through the efforts and contribution of worshippers. I also want to inform you that the mosque has hosted prominent northerners who have worshipped here in the past.”

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/inside-rivers-oldest-mosque-where-prominent-northern-leaders-worshipped.html

1 Like

Re: Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped by kehinde1588(m): 7:27am On Aug 17, 2019
Christian state grin grin grin
Re: Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped by helinues: 7:37am On Aug 17, 2019
Christian state.. Wike is coming for you people
Re: Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped by Chizuru01(m): 7:46am On Aug 17, 2019
It looks like an evil shrine.

Thank God for christianity. Else, i would have been carrying mark of beast on my forehead

4 Likes

Re: Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped by capatainrambo: 8:11am On Aug 17, 2019
Chizuru01:

Thank God for christianity. Else, i would have been carrying mark of beast on my forehead
How dare you.

2 Likes

Re: Inside Rivers Oldest Mosque Where Prominent Northern Leaders Worshipped by kehinde1588(m): 8:50am On Aug 17, 2019
Chizuru01:

Be deceiving yourself.
Remember to pay your tithe to your pastor o make e no go rob o. grin

Slavery of the highest order

(1) (Reply)

"'' / Ihedioha: 'It Won't Stand In Imo' - Nnamdi Kanu Hints On Possible IPOB Action / Is The Black Man Cursed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.