Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) (1053 Views)

Greeting: Pivotal Way Of Life For The Yorubas / COVID-19: Thinking Out Loud By From Adaora Onyechere / Silence Is So Freaking Loud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) by MizCharm: 8:35am On Aug 18, 2019
WHY PEOPLE SAY THAT THE YORUBAS ARE LOUD AND WHAT THE YORUBAS CAN DO TO CORRECT THAT IMPRESSION

Speaking is the principal way humans communicate with one another and of course that involves producing sound. The problem though is when the sound you are producing is regarded as noise by your listeners. At that point you may very well do yourself the favor of keeping quiet because no one is listening. Noise has been defined as unpleasant sound. Music on the other hand is capable of bringing pleasure even when it is loud. So what is it about the YORUBAS exactly that makes the rest of us dismiss them as loud?
First of all it is the language. I don't know exactly but it appears impossible to say certain words in Yoruba without the accompanying gestures and facial expressions and of course volume. And that applies in my opinion to about eighty percent of the language. And over time,this can tend to make these people keep their voice boxes at that default high volume in which most Yoruba words are spoken. And voilà!
This is not to imply in anyway that absolutely all yorubas are loud. Of course not. Like the French say,l'exception fait la règle. However,no most Yorubas have been told at some point to stop shouting when they weren't actually shouting. So,we can agree that it is a general problem. And since I'm all about solving problems,I would like to explore ways we can begin to dim,if not erase completely that very bad impression that the "yorubas are too loud".
The major step in this would be acknowledging the problem. I have had ladies respond when I tell them they are shouting,"that's how I talk". Yes,that may well be the case,but from the moment you see it as an issue, you could begin to change it. But as long as you remain in denial, nothing will change and people like myself will limit our interactions with you to the barest minimum or avoid you altogether whenever possible. So,long story short, acknowledge the problem.
Next, consciously enunciate. Now, you may wonder what's that got to do with reducing voice volume. The answer is everything. When you enunciate, you can't really shout. You talk slower. And you tend to listen to yourself. As a plus, your voice will come out sounding controlled and so much cooler and people will want to listen to you and isn't that what we all want? To be heard?

Comments are welcome.

P.S: I write opinion pieces for blogs. So,if you have ablog and would like a contributor-writer,pls dm me,let's discuss.

1 Like

Re: The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) by backnbeta(f): 8:45am On Aug 18, 2019
Re: The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 18, 2019
Not all yorubas are loud, the village ones are
Re: The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) by MizCharm: 10:04am On Aug 18, 2019
onijagidijagan you may be right.
Re: The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 18, 2019
MizCharm:
onijagidijagan you may be right.
I'm right
Re: The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) by MizCharm: 2:48am On Aug 27, 2019
*yawn
Re: The Yorubas Are Naturally Loud! (is This Your Opinion?) by chii8(f): 10:30am On Aug 27, 2019
Maybe, you've been meeting the loud ones,which also implies that there's a tendency that you are loud too.

Please, let's stop all these hasty generalization of tribes we don't belong to,Nairaland is a Nigerian site that promotes unity,peace and culture of our great country, let's strive to achieve that.

NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN.

(1) (Reply)

Get A Professional Blog Or Vlog Design. / [story] FARIDA Episode 1 / Quotes: . . . . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.