Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa (17592 Views)

The Trials Of Love (clean/christian Romance) / " The Trials Of Maclean Agu" A Story By Hydronium / Trials Of A Mad Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Sterope(f): 11:52am On Aug 18, 2019
Come on, you will have to try again

9jaBloke:

You just did
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by new2012: 11:53am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:

I'm not moved by your dare one bit and I don't blame you for trying to dare me to say my name. Nairaland is a faceless forum and it stays that way. As for kalakuta prison, I hope you have heard about fiction...

Fiction abt his identify?
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by new2012: 11:58am On Aug 18, 2019
pchukwudi:
I think the actual idiot here is the one who uses Wikipedia article (or one word in it) as the basis for rubbishing someone's established reputation all in a bid to refute things he seems to know nothing about.

Mr. Ubani owes no one any explanation for his stories. Of course, I'm not holding any briefs for him. But if you think he's lying disproof his claims with inconvertible evidence, not a silly entry on Wikipedia - and certainly not the opinion of a random person who seems to agree with your skepticism and hateful narrative.

Of course, you have the right to be skeptical. But outrightly and publicly calling someone a liar when you have zero evidence to prove that he's lying is silly. It crosses the boundary of normal skepticism.

If you or the OP think Mr. Abani's story is a lie, the burden of proof lies on you. It's arrogant to ask anyone to prove his innocence or truth.

And, by the way, we all can see clearly that this is just propaganda that's aimed at a certain group of people. It absolutely has nothing to do with the unverifiable subject it pretends to discuss.

Outside the shithole, we are both Nigerians.. Nobody gives a flying f abt your ethnicity within Nigeria. When you're rubbished in Airports, malls, immigration offices across the , nobody cares if your IBO, Igbo, Yoruba or whatever. When you get that, you drop your unnecessary ethnic prejudice.

Ikhide said Abani's record on Wikipedia which Abani has gone to defend directly is false, you're neither saying one is true or false, yours is that IRS against your ethnicity. Wtf!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by kingjudecy(m): 12:03pm On Aug 18, 2019
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2019
I will not be surprised if we wake up one day to discover that every thing we think we know are all a hoax. Including Religion and Nigeria civil war stories.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by naptu2: 12:06pm On Aug 18, 2019
By the way, the criticisms are not solely based on a Wikipedia entry. I posted this video on the first page of this thread. I watched this video years ago and in it Chris Abani talked about his experience on death row.

So, it's not like a random person edited his wikipedia entry. These are things that he often talks about and he talked about some of them in this video.

Watch from 11:30.

naptu2:
Video

Chris Abani's Ted Talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCermULRk-I

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by felifeli: 12:11pm On Aug 18, 2019
This Pa Ikide again and his Nairaland promotion team ? How does one become a writer? By blackmailing other people all over the place. Why is this desperate attention seeker like this? Na wa o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by somehow: 12:18pm On Aug 18, 2019
Those disputing thw content of this article have not answered any of tthe raised questions

so what is the basis of yyour dispute?
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by chiedozie198100: 12:27pm On Aug 18, 2019
Joystark:
Mmmmmm...
I double this your submission.
Why would he lie?

have u heard of kalakuta prison? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by efeski(m): 12:28pm On Aug 18, 2019
9jaBloke:
I know Chris Abani. Masters of the Board was one of the books i grew up reading.

My favourite line:

" Be careful Knight, or you won't last the night. Forgive the pun."

I don't know about the lies but OPs narrative smacks of deep-seated bigotry and prejudice.

Another unverified write-up on FP..

This issue trended since 2011/12 if my memory serves me well.
Chris Abani is a good writer no doubt but what's the need for personalizing what could have been a good work of fiction?
That's the issue here and not any bigoted narrative as u claim

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Rosarie(f): 12:41pm On Aug 18, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

I read it all. The writer(Pa Ikhide) is saying that Abáni(another celebrated writer) though a good one but some of his writings are filled with falsehoods just to get fame as so many can't be proven and he refuses to supply fact/evidence to prove them even when challenged.
He also said so many African writers are scared to challenge him even though his writings affects Nigeria and Africa at large, while the other part of the world(writers) called him out on a particular platform (listserv) but he was evasive in his response before he eventually went underground to resurface again after a while to continue the lies.
thank you so much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 18, 2019
ajl:
About Emeagwali, he might have exaggerated or taken advantage of his claims in order to benefit monetarily from it but let us ask these simple questions:

1. Did he ever invent anything that greatly impacts the way computer communicates?

2. Did he invent what's called a supercomputer that carried out the fastest calculation at some point?

3. Was he ever rewarded with one of the top awards in the computer science profession?

The answer to all these is YES. So, how is he a fraud? The only issue I have with him is that he should have focused more on coming up with new inventions rather doing a self-promotion that materially benefits him. If you have not worked at the highest technical position in the US or any white dominated society you will never understand some of the challenges he might have faced. If you are not ready to "kiss" asses or lie low in front of your "white-gods" they would try to get at you. He surely couldn't fund his research by himself and would need a university or an organization/company to do that until he can do so independently. I believe he was frustrated out of the system and that likely "killed" his career. I have done that and been there so I know what it could be like. I have two joint US inventions, worked in a University and top energy company and once I was told to my face that "I have to speak like an American" to keep my job. If it were you what would you do? Go on kissing asses because you want to earn a living?

So most people who come up with this accusations don't have a clue how things work in the "world" they are focusing on.
Stop the race hustling , in USA nobody is stopping you from being what you can be period.

What affected him is the same thing that affect most Nigerians. They don’t look ahead, stay in the present.

Example: A Nigerian business man whose making huge money in business would prefer to buy a G- wagon , instead of improving his business by reinventing or reinvesting.

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by pcicero(m): 12:57pm On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:

Bro you don't know me, same way the OP doesn't know Chris Abani. I will not share my real name with you. All the op wrote here are lies and I simply will not stand for it. Tribalism and ethnicity has eaten deep into the bones of Nigerians. If the truth I speak sounds like insult to you then so be it

Was Chris Abani ever imprisoned in Nigeria for his political beliefs ? Yes or No

When you people are called out for your lies, you always resort to bigotry and accusing people of hating your success after having lied your way to fame.

Like Chris Abani, like Emeagwali, like Obinwanne.

Thank God, Pa Ikhide is Edo before you start accusing Yorubas of hatred.

A lecturer in the North was just found out to have lied about a non-existent academic achievement. His lies was busted by another Northerner-Farooq Kperogi.

No one played the victim, we all condemned the scam.

4 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Bizibi(m): 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:

Bro you don't know me, same way the OP doesn't know Chris Abani. I will not share my real name with you. All the op wrote here are lies and I simply will not stand for it. Tribalism and ethnicity has eaten deep into the bones of Nigerians. If the truth I speak sounds like insult to you then so be it
Just pray the inquisitive ones don't come after Chris abani and you should hope it is false because if it is true, the world will fall on him and those defending him now will go into hiding.

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Freeman59: 1:43pm On Aug 18, 2019
Bizibi:
Just pray the inquisitive ones don't come after Chris abani and you should hope it is false because if it is true, the world will fall on him and those defending him now will go into hiding.

We're waiting. Wetin full nairaland na talk talk talk
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Okoroawusa: 2:12pm On Aug 18, 2019
Wow!

Emeagwali n Abani a fraud?

This is hard for me to swallow. But what I know is that most asylum seekers from Africa use the wars, ethnic cleansings, military rules to weave false stories to get into America n Europe right from the 1980s till date.

I know of a man who published just one article about the Abacha government next thing he found his way to America n sought asylum claiming that Abacha government was after him because of the article he published n he provided the newspaper clippings as evidence n he was offered asylum.

2 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Ijaya123: 2:24pm On Aug 18, 2019
superlanny:
The day we learn how to mind our business, we are doing ourselves a ton of good. Just stfu..

If you follow your own advice, you will not be here commenting on another person's story.

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 18, 2019
Hotfreezers:
Obi, Emeagwali and Abani.
Them don use criminality swear for those guys.

The three of them have something in common grin

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by ajl: 2:52pm On Aug 18, 2019
Xisnin:

I guess you don't know much about computers and how they work.
The answers to all your questions are no and you don't have a clue about what you are saying.

[qquote]

No. He never invented anything. The thing with invention is that they have a name and function
but Emeagwali cannot say what he invented and prefer obsfuscation instead.
Every piece in your PC has a name and those who invented them whether an individual or a company.

This must be the greatest joke I have read.
Supercomputers have been in existence decades before Emeagwali was born.
He did not invent supercomputers let alone the fastest because nobody can.

No.
He was a member of the team that came second in a Gordon Bell prize.
We don't even know if he made any meaningful contribution to the team.

Let me tell you a secret. If someone invents something, then don't go to the media.
They file and obtain patent first and other people in their field would recognize them.

Emeagwali's claim is just as laughable as someone coming up second in an Etisalat prize for literature and then declare
themselves the inventor of fiction.

Your response indicates, just as I mentioned before, that most of you have no clue about the issues you pretend to know about.

There is nowhere I said he invented supercomputer. What he did was to come with a way that a supercomputer could carry out a calculation faster than previously done with application in the oil industry.

Nothing wrong in going to the media especially if you find yourself in white-dominated society where Caucasians tend to "steal" ideas or inventions that other minorities come up with. You have no experience in this area so you can't to be an authority on this. Typically the media is dominated by white people and often they tend to ignore great things individuals from other races come up with.

Apparently you do not know what an invention is and the processes or requirements around it. It is not part of the culture in Nigeria so don't act as if it's an area you can lecture anyone, especially someone like me.

Even if one come second in a competition, does that take away the fact that what the individual came up with can greatly impacts humanity.

Go learn to read and comprehend issues and points raised in other people's comment before attempting a response. There is a difference between "he invented supercomputer" and "he invented a supercomputer that carried out ....". The later means what he actually invented is a function used in a supercomputer. So, since you are not familiar with the "art" you can easily misunderstand others viewpoints.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by ajl: 3:12pm On Aug 18, 2019
Netanyahu1:
Stop the race hustling , in USA nobody is stopping you from being what you can be period.

What affected him is the same thing that affect most Nigerians. They don’t look ahead, stay in the present.

Example: A Nigerian business man whose making huge money in business would prefer to buy a G- wagon , instead of improving his business by reinventing or reinvesting.

Here again, someone who probably has never stepped out of the shore of Nigeria or let alone work in white-dominated society saying "in USA nobody stopped you from being what you can be". Is it the America you see in movies you think I am talking about? You don't have a clue about the American system. In all honesty no one can stop you from being whatever you want to be anywhere in the world but don't feed yourself the illusion that America is a place where all "dreams" come through. If so, you would be using water to fuel your car by now.

You claim most Nigerians don't look ahead, and as such Emeagwali is guilty of the same. This sound like your typical stereotype. This is not factual.

Your story on the Nigerian businessman that choose to buy a G-Wagon rather than reinvent the way be does business just prove another thing that most of you only focus on individuals that make the loudest noise even though they don't add value to your lives. For such unwise businessmen there are thousands others that are quietly finding new ways to reinvent their businesses. Sadly its a culture where you find yourself, most cant take the time to look deep.

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 18, 2019
ajl:

Here again, someone who probably has never stepped out of the shore of Nigeria or let alone work in white-dominated society saying "in USA nobody stopped you from being what you can be". Is it the America you see in movies you think I am talking about? You don't have a clue about the American system. In all honesty no one can stop you from being whatever you want to be anywhere in the world but don't feed yourself the illusion that America is a place where all "dreams" come through. If so, you would be using water to fuel your car by now.

You claim most Nigerians don't look ahead, and as such Emeagwali is guilty of the same. This sound like your typical stereotype. This is not factual.

Your story on the Nigerian businessman that choose to buy a G-Wagon rather than reinvent the way be does business just prove another thing that most of you only focus on individuals that make the loudest noise even though they don't add value to your lives. For such unwise businessmen there are thousands others that are quietly finding new ways to reinvent their businesses. Sadly its a culture where you find yourself, most cant take the time to look deep.
Guy you lie too much, your pants on fire, no American company will fire you because of accent and if they you are probably very rich from suing them by now. I repeat again no body is stopping you from achieving greatness in America, Asians are great in USA ,you are the only one stopping your self stop watching cnn and face reality.

People with accent occupy prestigeous positions in this country from west coast to east coast and the mountains stop feeding people lies.

Again, I repeat Nigerian s prefer to show off than to build on their success, when majority is a certain way I have the right to generalize and that’s what am doing.

Fix yourself leave Americans alone.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by delishpot: 3:51pm On Aug 18, 2019
new2012:

Too much emotions and no message passed, just insults that are not even valid.. calm down!

First of, Wikipedia is not a valid data source most times, its an opinion page. Next of, the OP ain't a nobody, I am the nobody and you too (to prove otherwise, share your real name).

You got it.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by maestroferdi: 5:43pm On Aug 18, 2019
naptu2:

It was resurrected by this series of tweets by Ikhide Ikheloa yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ikhide/status/1162776234914471936
What obfuscating nonsense!

So this Ikhide character thought it expedient to latch onto cheap sensationalism to futilely get even on a personal grudge?

All I can see here are sour grapes of a cowardly man plodding inexorably to chip away at a rival who appears to have been getting more airtime than him.

Indulgence in petty envy will invariably come out ugly...
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Rosskiki: 10:15pm On Aug 18, 2019
superlanny:
The day we learn how to mind our business, we are doing ourselves a ton of good. Just stfu..

You will ''mind your business'' until you or your children encounter unfair discrimination in foreign lands based on the lies Abani told about your country.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Rosskiki: 10:19pm On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:
Go to Wikipedia and read about Christopher ABANI, don't read posts by tribalistic fools who only care to dent people's image. Christopher Abani is a better Nigerian than the whole of op's lineage. I'm an Abani and I'm proud of it. OP'S lineage and surname can't boast of anything, never stood up for anything and will remain cowards and social media warriors only, forever.

Dude, where is the proof that Chris Abani went through all those travails? Even Soyinka didn't experience 1/4 of all those hassles, yet we all know his life story. If a writer is going through such trouble, it's a really big deal in Nigeria, and folks would know about it.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Neminc: 6:30am On Aug 19, 2019
Sanchez01:
Interesting read... The pattern has been there a while; most Nigerian immigrants with the eye for social recognition abroad often conjure lies and claim what and all what not. I had barely started reading and thought of Emeagwali, only to find out Chris Abani's web of lies ecum narrative trumps the former.
We lack critical thinking in this part of the world and that's why we always lag behind in everything. You just read an article on nairaland by someone you don't even know and you've already believed it and started using it as a basis to make judgements on the character of other people that you also don't know.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by MightyFortress: 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
Interesting

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Son Of Hade (supernatural) Story / If You Were Asked To Write A Book About Your Life, What Would The Title Be? / Chimamanda Adichie Wins Grand Women’s Prize For Half Of A Yellow Sun (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.