Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,199 members, 7,845,954 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail (23895 Views)

Maurice Iwu Vs Mahmood Yakubu: Who Is The Worst INEC Chairman In Nigeria? / EFCC Arrests Maurice Iwu, Ex-INEC Chairman / Maurice Iwu: 'Osun Election Was Conclusive' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by hightempo(m): 8:45am On Aug 19, 2019
uridiwan:
you mean to say 23million
thats 230million
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 19, 2019
I am very impressed with the court in this matter. But I have been wondering; why did the government go after IWU? undecided This is Nigeria.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by ABSTRUSE: 8:54am On Aug 19, 2019
Od1n:

No. He will face the full course of the law

He MAY (not will) face the full course of the law.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by IJEYdiamond(f): 8:55am On Aug 19, 2019
I dont understand this Iwu's case... Is it because he blew the trumpet of Presidential results during Elections or Does he really know who won.... How come all these years they didn't know of his dealings even EFFC not knowing that he has been involved in deals that seems corrupt... The judge too is a suspect!!.. hmmmm.

1 Like

Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Hidentity(m): 8:57am On Aug 19, 2019
MRsettingz:
pls lawyers in the house,
What do they mean by 1billion bail?
Does that mean he has to pay the amount to our court, or they mean his suretties must have property worth of the amount?
No. He has to present people who are worth that amount as sureties so that when he runs, those people would forfeit the money. They must give evidence that they're worth such amount and that they have other things required by the court.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Hidentity(m): 8:58am On Aug 19, 2019
Amicusacuriae:
it means that he deposits the money with court so that in the event that he runs away the Court takes possession of the money and hold the sureties responsible till they are able to provide him.
If he however makes himself available to all the court proceedings without jumping bail the money will be returned to him.
If you need any legal document, I am at your service. 08124890654
No. You're not right. His sureties must just be worth that sum. They must show evidence that they have such money in case he runs away. They will forfeit it if he runs. The cash deposit can only be made if the court specifically asks for it, but once you hear "2 sureties in like sum", it does not involve cash deposit, but evidence that they have that sum.
And yeah, your advert on this forum violates the rule of professional conduct. The art of law is not an art of buying and selling where you advertise your wares. Be careful.
If what you also mean by your name is "Friend of the court", then it is "Amicus curiae" not what you spelt above.

3 Likes

Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 19, 2019
Hidentity:

No. You're not right. His sureties must just be worth that sum. They must show evidence that they have such money in case he runs away. They will forfeit it if he runs. The cash deposit can only be made if the court specifically asks for it, but once you hear "2 sureties on like sum", it does not involve cash deposit, but evidence that they have that sum.
And yeah, your advert on this forum violates the rule of professional conduct. The art of law is not an art of buying and selling where you advertise your wares. Be careful.
If what you also mean by your name is "Friend of the court", then it is "Amicus curiae" not what you spelt above.
u can as well report me to the LPDC
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Hidentity(m): 9:08am On Aug 19, 2019
Amicusacuriae:
u can as well report me to the LPDC
Wait.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:18am On Aug 19, 2019
uridiwan:
you mean to say 23million
See wetin ova sabi dey do u
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by zikodem(m): 9:26am On Aug 19, 2019
Kingosytex:
The judge wicked o! N1 billion as bail out of the alleged N1.2 billion that he stole? Iwu really stole money.Make Iwu use the balance flex him lifecheesy OBJ was Iwu's ATM, cheesycheesy
bail is usually 10% of d amount in ur bail bond, meaning he will pay 10% of d 1bn
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Angelfrost(m): 9:33am On Aug 19, 2019
Hmmm... Quick question to the legal luminaries in the house: Where does the bail money go to?... I'm quite interested in where that 1 billion naira ends up.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Kingosytex(m): 9:36am On Aug 19, 2019
zikodem:
bail is usually 10% of d amount in ur bail bond, meaning he will pay 10% of d 1bn

N100 mill.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:07am On Aug 19, 2019
When ipob knack this thief now hypocrites wey full this forum go begin talk bullshyt as if they actually gave a fvck.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Xisnin(m): 10:40am On Aug 19, 2019
Jayslicky:
The court should rather corncerned about how Iwu is able to pop out 1billion naira, is it the same public office that made him so rich like that, if his tax payment doesn't corrolate with is earnings or assets, he should be locked up back but this is Nigeria.
Does your tax payment correlate with all your earnings?

Learn how bail works before offering criticism.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by awuf2008: 10:42am On Aug 19, 2019
I can assure you that it was tevandiwirk of the present government to ridicule the prof for nitbdoing their bus during the election. Would the same thing be done to prof jega for doing their bidding? Useless government ran by useless people. Sectional prosecution on loading......
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by babtop2019: 11:56am On Aug 19, 2019
Bail granted to the sum of 1 billion doesn't mean the sum will be paid.
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by hekkyboi: 12:19pm On Aug 19, 2019
Maldini212:
Chicken change
maldini. i take God beg if na just 1million kpere make u dash me. Oluwa go bless u
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by 2kurupt(m): 12:19pm On Aug 19, 2019
obembet:
Its a lie. Bail is free
Yeah, bail is free until you enter back of counter
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by Okuda(m): 1:28pm On Aug 19, 2019
Jayslicky:
The court should rather corncerned about how Iwu is able to pop out 1billion naira, is it the same public office that made him so rich like that, if his tax payment doesn't corrolate with is earnings or assets, he should be locked up back but this is Nigeria.

they pay 10percet of those funds oga...
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by zikodem(m): 1:43pm On Aug 19, 2019
Kingosytex:

N100 mill.
yes
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by kerzhim(m): 2:25pm On Aug 19, 2019
He needs to be probed ontop the 1m sef! Where did he get the money from. I dont think there should be a case anymore. He is obviously guilty of the allegation levelled against him.

Simi si naija o! shocked them charge you for 1.23b curruption case and placed a 1b bail on you and you see the money pay. Haha! Thief!
Re: Maurice Iwu Meets N1 Billion Bail, Regains Freedom After A Week In Jail by autolearner: 10:55am On Feb 07, 2020
Artorius:

This is a clearer answer. Thanks.

Hi, is there any email I could reach you on?
I sent a PM already but for some reason, has gone unresponded to.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fatose: APC Must Die For Nigeria To Have Peace / Wike: Amaechi And Nwajiuba Are Heartless, And Wicked With No Conscience / Rescued Dapchi Schoolgirls Arrive Presidential Villa Abuja(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.