Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / . (1972 Views)

Siena,inspired, Femmy And Other Car Gurus! Please Help! / Which Other Car Is Going To Come In Vogue Like Toyota Camry / Inspired_m And Other Car Delears, Pls Attend To This. Most Urgent! Very Urgent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by arsenal4va(m): 7:52am On Oct 22, 2010
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 8:19am On Oct 22, 2010
smiley
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 8:50am On Oct 22, 2010
smiley
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 9:22am On Oct 22, 2010
wink
Re: . by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 22, 2010
Hi Gunner man.
I'm neither of the gurus you seek, nor do I pretend to have their competence. I see, however, that you've spent a lot already, having to change the MAF sensor (that's about 60k on a BMW) and the fuel pump, though why a three year-old car should have such problems is exasperating. Yeah, from the actions you've taken so far you seem to be favourably responding to the error code. For situations such as yours my experience is that it just might be a little problem after all--of course it's big as long as it goes undetected. I am therefore adding the downloaded information below, just in case there's still one or two things that can be explored. Good luck.

P0171 Description
With the Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The ECM calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.

In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the ECM judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the MIL (2 trip detection logic).
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Excessive Fuel Consumption
When is the code detected?
- Fuel injection system does not operate properly.
- The amount of mixture ratio compensation is too large. (The mixture ratio is too rich.)
Possible Causes
- Intake air leaks
- Front Heated oxygen sensor may be faulty
- Injectors may be faulty
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Mass air flow sensor may be faulty
- Incorrect PCV hose connec
Possible Solution
Dirty air filter of faulty air flow sensor are common causes of the problem.[/b]
Re: . by Onwan: 10:09am On Oct 22, 2010
@OP
Basically from the things you have done, it appears you have exhausted all the recommended troubleshooting areas BUT from what I can see, it still boils down to a Fuel Injector blockage OR the air Induction system, BUT I will stick to the Fuel Injector blockage seriously (Since you have changed the air filter), I recommend you look into these few steps;

1. Injector cleaning - You can have them bleed the injector and thoroughly have it cleaned to free it of any clogging. I recommend also an Injector cleaner emptied (per instruction) into your tank

2. Check your fuel filter - confirm IF its the recommended type for your ride (You need to do some online search for the best for your brand/model and possible experiences)

3. Check this out - http://mr2.phpwerx.net/manuals/2007%20camry%202gr-fe/2GR-FE%20ENGINE%20CONTROL%20SYSTEM_%20SFI%20SYSTEM_%20P0171_%20System%20Too%20Lean%20%28Bank%201%29%20%282007%20Camry%29.pdf

Hope this helps.
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 10:36am On Oct 22, 2010
Re: . by Onwan: 11:17am On Oct 22, 2010
At times the dirt in the fuel tank can block even a new in-tank fuel filter, it wont be a bad idea to just check it. It is detatchable and can be bought separate from the fuel pump.

Also water - this rainy season, I have had a very bad experience at a filling station (A new one for that matter) and ended up draining a total of about 40 Litres OF WATER out of my tank and after the third trial, out the engine too. It was on a Sunday, I bought 5K fuel into an SUV and that cost be 3 fuel pumps (Toks), some change and a lot of time. So you never know.
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 1:07pm On Oct 22, 2010
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 8:06pm On Oct 22, 2010
wink
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 8:56pm On Oct 22, 2010
smiley
Re: . by ikeyman00(m): 9:07pm On Oct 22, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

before u start with the tank ahaha i will suggest u leave that out first; modern cars with injectors have emmm their fuel pump immense inside the tank for safety reason (well to avoid electrical spark which might  sad  sad sad )

and therefore some have emmmm some fuel filter just under the car's tank just before it connect to the line that goes to the engine

Get like the emmm wetin again vulcaniser to flush air through the fuel lines that might do as well
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 7:56am On Oct 23, 2010
wink
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 3:07pm On Oct 23, 2010
:d
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 8:38am On Oct 24, 2010
smiley
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 7:41pm On Oct 24, 2010
smiley
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 9:36pm On Oct 24, 2010
:d
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 7:30am On Oct 25, 2010
wink
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 8:41am On Oct 27, 2010
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 9:29am On Oct 27, 2010
smiley
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 1:25pm On Oct 27, 2010
wink
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 7:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
smiley
Re: . by ikeyman00(m): 9:15pm On Oct 27, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

i guess they dnt know else lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 9:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
;d
Re: . by Onwan: 10:35pm On Oct 27, 2010
arsenal4va:

An update on what I have done : cleaned out my fuel tank and sprayed the injector with some cleaner , but the performance it more or less the same ,  the LTFT is still hovering around the mid + 20 s .

I guess i would have to go for proper injector cleaning next .

any other advice ?

thx

Smart move as recommended. Was there any water in your tank? You should also have the new pump checked for pressure. It's important you know that a part being new does not make it 100%; especially with fake parts everywhere. Same goes for the MAF.
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 7:00am On Oct 28, 2010
Re: . by Onwan: 8:22am On Oct 28, 2010
arsenal4va:

there was some water in the tank , do u have any recommendation for a person who does good injector servicing ?

thx
Since there was water in the tank then there are to things you should know;
1. The fuel pump has to be changed
2. The engine ( not just the tank) has to be drained to remove the remaining water.

If you read my first post, I changed the pump twice (apart from the original one that came with the ride) the reason was that after changing the first one, the remaining water in the engine found it's way back to the tank through the return pipe, damaging the fuel pump.

So, you will need to
1. Clean out water from the tank ( again - you will see it there)
2. Change the fuel pump
3. Drain the engine of the remaining water ( this can be done at the same time with bleeding the injector too)

The water has to be removed completely before fitting the new pump, filter.

It's unfortunate most fuel stations have this water problem especially during this rainy season and vehicle owners have to pay for it all.

Call Yinka on 080 2558 3908. If distance is not an issue he will help you out, and his charges are very very considerate.
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 11:33am On Oct 28, 2010
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 8:32am On Oct 29, 2010
wink
Re: . by Wylout: 11:57am On Oct 29, 2010
Nairaland, ===== One big family! wink
Re: . by arsenal4va(m): 7:49pm On Oct 29, 2010
smiley
Re: . by anneki(m): 3:53pm On Mar 26, 2011

(1) (Reply)

Clean Registered 2003 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Pick Up: Price:N1.9m / Liberty Jeep 2003 Model For Sale. #1.1million (Negotiable) / 2001 Honda Accord Babyboy For Sale!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.