Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Should I Stay Or Find Another Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Stay Or Find Another Job (1264 Views)

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 19, 2019
Good day Nairalanders, I need help on making a job related decision. I'll try my best to shorten this.

So I finished NYSC this year and even before my POP I was offered a job through a friend. The interview process was more informal as we ended up talking politics instead because my to be boss (then) was someone I knew well.

My appointment letter states that my basic salary will be #20,000 for a probationary period of 4 month, this excludes lunch. The appointment letter states that after the four months my salary will be reviewed based on performance.

My course of study in school is completely different from the job and I was only offered because of my interest in the IT field. (My course of study is Technical Education).

Now the issue is last month (5th month) I was offered the same salary. I told my Boss what's stated in the letter and he said "we're still working on some things for you to do since you don't do much yet".

Truth is I've learnt some configurations and actually made same for some equipment that needed them and also monitor the usage of this equipment. But it's not always that way as I feel useless sometimes.

The problem is the pay is not enough at all.
My question is
1) Do I just resign and go work somewhere else? ( I had a chance to work as a teacher with a significantly higher pay before accepting this)

2) Should I wait for this 6th month pay before making my decision?

I'll be 23 soon and I feel like I'm getting older and want a place where I'm axtuve and paid well.
Please advise me on what to do.
Thank you.
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by budaatum: 2:01pm On Aug 19, 2019
No, you do not resign. You look first for a job that pays you more for the knowledge your current employer has enabled you to acquire. Or you look around in your current job for more things to do so you can show your employer your worth!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by yomi007k(m): 2:52pm On Aug 19, 2019
budaatum:
No, you do not resign. You look first for a job that pays you more for the knowledge your current employer has enabled you to acquire. Or you look around in your current job for more things to do so you can show your employer your worth!
Correct.
1. Search before resigning.
2. Make yourself more valuable at the present place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by ogaademola: 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2019
Don't look at the money now but instead stay there to gather experience. I will advise you if possible stay for like 2 yrs for the experience but you can still look for other jobs. Age is still on your side. Just don't resign until you get a better job

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Emmzy201(m): 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2019
Me is looking for work and this one want to go ���

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 19, 2019
budaatum:

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 19, 2019
yomi007k:

Correct.
1. Search before resigning.
2. Make yourself more valuable at the present place.

I try to make myself as valuable as possible but the thing is It's a tech startup so sometimes there's work to do and other times not so much.
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 19, 2019
ogaademola:
Don't look at the money now but instead stay there to gather experience. I will advise you if possible stay for like 2 yrs for the experience but you can still look for other jobs. Age is still on your side. Just don't resign until you get a better job

2 years on a 20k salary? How will I fend for myself? After Tfare for the month, the amount left is barely 16k. Thanks for the advice.
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 19, 2019
Emmzy201:
Me is looking for work and this one want to go ���

Our cases are quite different na
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by abdulazeez1002(m): 3:46pm On Aug 19, 2019
Megadrone:

2 years on a 20k salary? How will I fend for myself? After Tfare for the month, the amount left is barely 16k. Thanks for the advice.
Baba resign. Just know you're for work
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by fullofgrace(m): 3:50pm On Aug 19, 2019
With the current economic crunch in Nigeria.
#100k job will never push u to ur life dreams talk more of #20k stop complaining about low pay and start looking for extra skills or trade to set up and invest that ur big money. Look around that areas and look for wat u can offer and get profit in return.
Quote me even if u like carry two degrees from UK university u can never get a job of #100k in Nigeria except lecturing job.
Please learn skills now that u are still young because even the jobs u intend applying for has no job security.
Stop complaining of low pay and learn skills or start up little shop before that 2years of experience u wish u go don blow.
Thank u

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by lilmax(m): 4:19pm On Aug 19, 2019
ogaademola:
you should throw this crappy advice away

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Omotayor123(f): 4:27pm On Aug 19, 2019
fullofgrace:
With the current economic crunch in Nigeria.
#100k job will never push u to ur life dreams talk more of #20k stop complaining about low pay and start looking for extra skills or trade to set up and invest that ur big money. Look around that areas and look for wat u can offer and get profit in return.
Quote me even if u like carry two degrees from UK university u can never get a job of #100k in Nigeria except lecturing job.
Please learn skills now that u are still young because even the jobs u intend applying for has no job security.
Stop complaining of low pay and learn skills or start up little shop before that 2years of experience u wish u go don blow.
Thank u
Learning a skill is good but my brother
20k is just too low for a graduate.
And a friend just got a 100k job last week, in this our "Nigeria".

OP, it's best you resign if your salary is not adjusted.. But make sure you get a better job before doing that, don't resign with a place/thing to fall back on.
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Spanishmilf(m): 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2019
ogaademola:
Are u high
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Emmzy201(m): 5:21pm On Aug 19, 2019
Megadrone:

Our cases are quite different na
Connect me to one lemme be happy
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by laycon77: 6:00pm On Aug 19, 2019
Learn a skill...
Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Heavance(m): 6:17pm On Aug 19, 2019
fullofgrace:

I believe you are beating your chest for what you know nothing about.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by wisestman(m): 7:45pm On Aug 19, 2019
Megadrone:
Good day Nairalanders, I need help on making a job related decision. I'll try my best to shorten this.

So I finished NYSC this year and even before my POP I was offered a job through a friend. The interview process was more informal as we ended up talking politics instead because my to be boss (then) was someone I knew well.

My appointment letter states that my basic salary will be #20,000 for a probationary period of 4 month, this excludes lunch. The appointment letter states that after the four months my salary will be reviewed based on performance.

My course of study in school is completely different from the job and I was only offered because of my interest in the IT field. (My course of study is Technical Education).

Now the issue is last month (5th month) I was offered the same salary. I told my Boss what's stated in the letter and he said "we're still working on some things for you to do since you don't do much yet".

Truth is I've learnt some configurations and actually made same for some equipment that needed them and also monitor the usage of this equipment. But it's not always that way as I feel useless sometimes.

The problem is the pay is not enough at all.
My question is
1) Do I just resign and go work somewhere else? ( I had a chance to work as a teacher with a significantly higher pay before accepting this)

2) Should I wait for this 6th month pay before making my decision?

I'll be 23 soon and I feel like I'm getting older and want a place where I'm axtuve and paid well.
Please advise me on what to do.
Thank you.

The question is what do you have to offer. Invest in yourself and be the best at what you do, Trust me you will get a higher pay offer. We all think higher pay offers come just like that, there is always a little beginning and this is yours. so make up your mind that you will be the best employee in that office and once that starts happening, its either your boss gives you another role with a higher pay or another opportunity will come you way. it always works but its start with you being the best at what you are doing now. PS for the fact that you read Technical education doesnt mean you will end up a teacher, except thats what you want. but if its not, then be the best now and picture the kind of job you want and it will come.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay Or Find Another Job by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 20, 2019
wisestman:

The question is what do you have to offer. Invest in yourself and be the best at what you do, Trust me you will get a higher pay offer. We all think higher pay offers come just like that, there is always a little beginning and this is yours. so make up your mind that you will be the best employee in that office and once that starts happening, its either your boss gives you another role with a higher pay or another opportunity will come you way. it always works but its start with you being the best at what you are doing now. PS for the fact that you read Technical education doesnt mean you will end up a teacher, except thats what you want. but if its not, then be the best now and picture the kind of job you want and it will come.

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Npower: "BVN Has Been Used Or Validated" Issue . SOLVED / Do These Spiritual Remedy, If You Don't Have A Job Or Can't Account For Ur Money / Ecobank Entry Level 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.