Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,109 members, 7,957,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:01 AM

Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? (1244 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Juju Scare: Should I Quit My Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by Kadejo(m): 6:31am On Aug 20, 2019
Please, your suggestions are useful tools for me.
I am presently working in a college, and been paid #42,500. Although, am still running my degree program.
My duties are: Admin Secretary, Account Assistant and Maintenance Officer.
No doubts, I work so hard.
But to be honest, I feel underpaid.
I already manage to purchase few computer systems, a photocopy machine and a printer.
Please what should I do?
Consider your response as my decision.
Thanks.
Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by chidiebere2020(m): 6:35am On Aug 20, 2019
What are your waiting for
Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by Obinnau(m): 6:46am On Aug 20, 2019
Oga do not quit that job!!
There is a saying that when you are someplace, you wish to be another place but by the time you get that place you wish to be you might be disappointed.
Instead find someone that would run the Cafe business for you by proxy, while you continue with the assistant job.
Reason being that you already one bird in hand that could be converted to higher pay once your degree result is out.
Are you so sure that the Cafe business would give you solid 45k every month if you take it up full-time on your own?
Think it through.
If you think you're being overworked I laugh in Swahili,
Overwork is relative o

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by Iamicekid(m): 6:48am On Aug 20, 2019
Please don’t quit yet, why don’t you set your center up and find someone to manage it for a while and see how the sales are before quitting cause half bread is better than none cause this days you don’t put something away cause you are expecting another thing once you see that the business is profitable and can pay your bills then u quit

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by yesloaded: 6:57am On Aug 20, 2019
Kadejo:
I am presently working in a college, and been paid #42,500. Although, am still running my degree program.
I already manage to purchase few computer systems, a photocopy machine and a printer.
Please what should I do?
Thanks.
Setup the business, employ someone(probably SSCE holder) to run it for you but make sure that you return to the place everyday whenever you close at work.

no need to quit your job

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by ITbomb(m): 7:06am On Aug 20, 2019
Just for the fact that you are running a degree program, do not quit the paid job at least for now

I'm not really a fan of establishing a new business for someone to run, personally, I have to be present at the initial stage to see how the business goes in its environment so that even when I'm not there, I can visualize most challenges that may come up

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 20, 2019
DO NOT QUIT THE JOB. I REPEAT DO NOT. Employ a SSCE holder or those guys looking for university abmission to manage the business for you. Hopefully your business is strategically positioned, the turn overs in the business overtime can be good enough to clear the business expenses like salary, tax, electricity bill, rent e.t.c.

All you need is use the salary as leverage to expand your business. The money from your salary can be used to grow the business. Every infant business need some regular inflows of funds so as not to kill the little profit the business will generate at infant. When the business grow, you can then spend a little. Also look inward as you expand on other services you can offer like computer training, sales of accessories.

Finally, make sure you monitor the business strictly. Your employees will probably not be stable, try to have plans to replace them as frequently as they leave and watch your business like a hawk especially their attitude towards customers and integrity with money. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by Kadejo(m): 11:39am On Aug 20, 2019
maryjames9:
DO NOT QUIT THE JOB. I REPEAT DO NOT. Employ a SSCE holder or those guys looking for university abmission to manage the business for you. Hopefully your business is strategically positioned, the turn overs in the business overtime can be good enough to clear the business expenses like salary, tax, electricity bill, rent e.t.c.

All you need is use the salary as leverage to expand your business. The money from your salary can be used to grow the business. Every infant business need some regular inflows of funds so as not to kill the little profit the business will generate at infant. When the business grow, you can then spend a little. Also look inward as you expand on other services you can offer like computer training, sales of accessories.

Finally, make sure you monitor the business strictly. Your employees will probably not be stable, try to have plans to replace them as frequently as they leave and watch your business like a hawk especially their attitude towards customers and integrity with money. Good luck.
Thanks so much
Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by Wolexdey(m): 8:42pm On Aug 20, 2019
Kadejo:
Please what should I do?
Thanks.

What's your location. I can be of help if you need a trusted hand for your business presently.
If the location is right, we negotiate the price.

Well, that's if you want to.

Don't quit your job for now. The advice given so far are great...

I await your response.
Thanks!!
Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by The10thMan(m): 8:13am On Aug 21, 2019
If you can keep both income streams then do so. Keep the job and still run your business center where possible.

Multiple streams of income is what everyone is expected to develop and have. If you could as a matter of fact, add another service to the computer center. Perhaps also sell snacks/drinks to customers and so on. Where possible sell stationery/computer ink etc. if you think there is a market for it there. As a matter of fact you can add Phone repairs to the center. Look around and scale the business appropriately.

Each human being when it comes to financial status we all have a financial equation following us. The equation is simple:

(Active and Passive Income from Assets/Investments etc) - (Expenses from Liabilities) = Your financial status or financial equation.

The trick is to try to increase the income angle and make it multiple so that you have (Income from Source A + Income from Source B + Income from Source C + ............Income from Source x) - (Expenses/Liabilities) = Wealth creation.

Daily, I do this and work on developing multiple income streams. I have my job (a superb one) and I run my businesses. Yes, businesses. Plural. Ask Dangote how he runs is conglomerate. I enjoy being an entrepreneur, going for meetings, discussing, bargaining and growing a business enterprise. Entrepreneurship is my hobby as a matter of fact.

So if you can successfully run the business and still be at work, why not. The Extra 45,000 Naira can be useful for other things. It is only if the business requires your full attention (when it is grown and matured) you might then consider leaving the job to face it. But you can try other means of managing the business while working. Explore other means of keeping both. Leaving should be a last option.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by Kadejo(m): 1:25pm On Aug 22, 2019
The10thMan:

If you can keep both income streams then do so. Keep the job and still run your business center where possible.

Multiple streams of income is what everyone is expected to develop and have. If you could as a matter of fact, add another service to the computer center. Perhaps also sell snacks/drinks to customers and so on. Where possible sell stationery/computer ink etc. if you think there is a market for it there. As a matter of fact you can add Phone repairs to the center. Look around and scale the business appropriately.

Each human being when it comes to financial status we all have a financial equation following us. The equation is simple:

(Active and Passive Income from Assets/Investments etc) - (Expenses from Liabilities) = Your financial status or financial equation.

The trick is to try to increase the income angle and make it multiple so that you have (Income from Source A + Income from Source B + Income from Source C + ............Income from Source x) - (Expenses/Liabilities) = Wealth creation.

Daily, I do this and work on developing multiple income streams. I have my job (a superb one) and I run my businesses. Yes, businesses. Plural. Ask Dangote how he runs is conglomerate. I enjoy being an entrepreneur, going for meetings, discussing, bargaining and growing a business enterprise. Entrepreneurship is my hobby as a matter of fact.

So if you can successfully run the business and still be at work, why not. The Extra 45,000 Naira can be useful for other things. It is only if the business requires your full attention (when it is grown and matured) you might then consider leaving the job to face it. But you can try other means of managing the business while working. Explore other means of keeping both. Leaving should be a last option.

Wow! Wonderful.
Re: Should I Quit My #42,500 Job And Establish My Computer Business Centre? by vicomonode: 5:20am On Aug 23, 2019
Hello, I have seen your worry, you want to quite your job basically because you think you are underpaid not because you don't love the job. From your statement you have managed to buy some equipments, I want to believe the funds came from the so called underpaid salary of yours. One thing you must consider, is every business requires funds for expansion, when you need funds to expand were do you run to? because from your write up you want more money.
I will submit to you that what is required in quiting a job even when you are earning massively is what we call a TRANSITION PERIOD, it could range from 1month to 3 years depending on you. This is the period your investment( business centre) is on a pilot stage were you can assertian if it will be sustainable. I will not run from the fact that you need more time to run your business but your ability to generate profits along side wages is key. The reason you are in this business is because of the potential you saw at work. You can delegate, don't have the mindset you are setting up a business for someone else.
Finally keep your Job, have a transition period ( from now till when you wish to quite), set up your business and enjoy your profits.
I have ran career counseling for alot of people who later after the transition period refuse to quite their jobs because the transition period became an eye opener.
Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Throwback! See How Female Nigeria Police Officers Looked Like In 1948 (photo) / Zenith And Others / Intercontinental Bank Staff Strength/hr Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.