Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,733 members, 7,955,784 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:06 PM

5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars (32691 Views)

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? / Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines / 3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Jfkitchen123(m): 8:36am On Aug 23, 2019
Hello pls my Audi A6 1998 it goes to reverse smoothly but when I put it in D it doesn’t move forward unless I press down the accelerator before and it make a loud noise like I warning it! Please what exactly can I do?
I don’t want to be scammed thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by ubanigrant15: 8:37am On Aug 23, 2019
Good one bro, God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 8:39am On Aug 23, 2019
Jfkitchen123:
Hello pls my Audi A6 1998 it goes to reverse smoothly but when I put it in D it doesn’t move forward unless I press down the accelerator before and it make a loud noise like I warning it! Please what exactly can I do?
I don’t want to be scammed thanks
Is it CVT or tiptronic(quattro)?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by JideoforO: 8:40am On Aug 23, 2019
Nice piece!!! I for one is very careful with my transmission. Why would i want to flaunt these rules are pay dearly for it? Most problems we encounter with our transmission is not because the vehicles are poorly built or fragile. We have a very bad maintenance culture and we find it sooooo difficult reading up these things. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by JerryJude(m): 8:42am On Aug 23, 2019
[quote author=MotorGuru post=81459063]Automatic transmission is a torque multiplication device that is attached to your car's engine, which enables your car to shift gears automatically with little or no driver input. it is different from manual transmission in that there is no need for a pedal operated clutch. this makes your vehicle (if equipped with one ) to be very easy to drive especially in traffic jams. The ease it provides makes it very complex in its design and operation and if used incorrectly, can be easily damaged and can cost a lot of money( in some cases hundreds of thousands of Naira) to repair or replace.

The following are some key driving tips that will help keep your automatic transmission in good condition:

1.Only change from Drive to Reverse and vice versa at a complete standstill: Always ensure your vehicle comes to a complete stop before going from drive to reverse or vice versa. Shifting from reverse to drive, or vice-versa, while the car is still moving can cause increased stresses to the drive-train constant velocity joints which can lead to breakage/damage. This can also cause damage to the transmission wet clutches/ brake bands which can be a very expensive repair.so be patient and learn to use your brakes properly to stop your car.

2. Only shift to Park when you’ve come to a complete stop: You can damage or break the locking pin and the pawl mechanism that’s used to ensure your transmission is properly engaged in park. repairing this may be very costly.

3. Don't put your gear in neutral in a holdup/ stoplight : Yes i know, you will say i need to save fuel, right? No it doesn't. Your RPM actually fluctuates and, in some cases, rises when you shift from Drive to Neutral. Not only does this not help you save fuel, but the fluctuation in RPM also stresses the bands and clutch plates in your transmission, which, over time, will wear them out.

4. Putting your car gear in 'L' when stuck in a muddy place: This is bad practice, as L means your car starts from gear 1, and gear 1 gives a high torque condition which will cause spinning of your driving wheels and in severe cases overheat your transmission (Heat is a major killer of automatic transmission!)In such situation , engage your transmission in '2' so that your car can start in(or immediately shift into)2nd gear and remain in that gear until you are out of the situation.

5. Launching your automatic car by revving in Neutral and shifting to Drive: Hmm. For the awon Jason Staham (Transporter) that will put their transmission in Neutral, hold down the accelerator, then shift to Drive. This is very bad practice as this subjects the clutches and bands in these cars' transmissions are placed under huge amounts of mechanical stress due to the abrupt mashing of a stationary clutch plate with an engine that has been revved too high. this over time will wear your transmission and may call for a rebuild/ replacement sooner than expected.

Nice one..OP can create a post on Manual Transmission as well..Thank You

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by cozy7(m): 8:44am On Aug 23, 2019
MotorGuru:
Automatic transmission is a torque multiplication device that is attached to your car's engine, which enables your car to shift gears automatically with little or no driver input. it is different from manual transmission in that there is no need for a pedal operated clutch. this makes your vehicle (if equipped with one ) to be very easy to drive especially in traffic jams. The ease it provides makes it very complex in its design and operation and if used incorrectly, can be easily damaged and can cost a lot of money( in some cases hundreds of thousands of Naira) to repair or replace.

The following are some key driving tips that will help keep your automatic transmission in good condition:

1.Only change from Drive to Reverse and vice versa at a complete standstill: Always ensure your vehicle comes to a complete stop before going from drive to reverse or vice versa. Shifting from reverse to drive, or vice-versa, while the car is still moving can cause increased stresses to the drive-train constant velocity joints which can lead to breakage/damage. This can also cause damage to the transmission wet clutches/ brake bands which can be a very expensive repair.so be patient and learn to use your brakes properly to stop your car.

2. Only shift to Park when you’ve come to a complete stop: You can damage or break the locking pin and the pawl mechanism that’s used to ensure your transmission is properly engaged in park. repairing this may be very costly.

3. Don't put your gear in neutral in a holdup/ stoplight : Yes i know, you will say i need to save fuel, right? No it doesn't. Your RPM actually fluctuates and, in some cases, rises when you shift from Drive to Neutral. Not only does this not help you save fuel, but the fluctuation in RPM also stresses the bands and clutch plates in your transmission, which, over time, will wear them out.

4. Putting your car gear in 'L' when stuck in a muddy place: This is bad practice, as L means your car starts from gear 1, and gear 1 gives a high torque condition which will cause spinning of your driving wheels and in severe cases overheat your transmission (Heat is a major killer of automatic transmission!)In such situation , engage your transmission in '2' so that your car can start in(or immediately shift into)2nd gear and remain in that gear until you are out of the situation.

5. Launching your automatic car by revving in Neutral and shifting to Drive: Hmm. For the awon Jason Staham (Transporter) that will put their transmission in Neutral, hold down the accelerator, then shift to Drive. This is very bad practice as this subjects the clutches and bands in these cars' transmissions are placed under huge amounts of mechanical stress due to the abrupt mashing of a stationary clutch plate with an engine that has been revved too high. this over time will wear your transmission and may call for a rebuild/ replacement sooner than expected.

Thanks for this great piece. Plz I'd like to know what the "L" stands for and what that part of d gear should really be used for

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by JB4life: 8:49am On Aug 23, 2019
Please, what then should be done in No. 5 above?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by KingAzubuike(f): 8:57am On Aug 23, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for the info but what should we do in case of traffic? Should we turn off the car?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 23, 2019
I was told by expert is better u shift to neutral wen in holdup. This pple can confuse pesin
ugreat:
In traffic, whats the best practice? Holding the brake? What's the best use of neutral?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by RUBMYMIND(m): 9:12am On Aug 23, 2019
Nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 9:18am On Aug 23, 2019
100% disagree with number 3. If you're at a traffic stop or hold up that doesn't move for several minutes, put your gear to neutral. You can still apply brakes, but leaving your foot on brakes for long periods consistently when your gear is in drive and not moving will damage (or cause problems for) your gearbox sooner than later. And a gear being disengaged in drive actually might shoot the rpm up and then it adjusts to normal, within 2 seconds or less, that doesn't make any much difference on fuel consumption. If it does, then your car has a fault somewhere that has nothing to do with putting it in neutral. In any case, it's far easier to buy extra petrol than to buy (or repair) any transmission.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by 1daboi: 9:20am On Aug 23, 2019
weyreypey:

I always do so while at a stop light.
me too ! I'm surprised to read that its a bad practise. Should we now leave our gear on D in traffic?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 9:28am On Aug 23, 2019
Felixamos:
Thanks for the info but what should we do in case of traffic? Should we turn off the car?

Regularly turning off a car in short periods and turning it on back again will kill or damage your kickstarter faster than normal. If the waiting period is short, like a traffic light that goes green again maybe within 3 minutes or under, then there's no point turning off your car. But if the waiting period is long like 7 minutes and above, you can turn it off if you want. For the average vehicle in average shape, turning off your engine makes a difference in fuel consumption over long periods, that is saves fuel, but over short period of time it is a futile act because the fuel you saved by turning off the engine will be used to start it. But if your car is equipped with some modern fuel systems tech, you don't ever need to turn of your engine, as your engine will go to sleep mode by itself when it doesn't detect throttle movement over a certain amount of time (some 3 minutes etc) and then reactivate automatically by itself once you engage the throttle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Jadeng: 9:37am On Aug 23, 2019
PRICE ?

GAZZUZZ:

one sch of thought says it overheats the gearbox

This vehicle is for sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERz6F88U00

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 9:37am On Aug 23, 2019
olumzzz:

But another school of thought kicks against that practice.
Moreover, i think the transmission fluid is cooled by the radiator so i do not envisage where it gets overheated.

It might get overheated in some vehicle transmissions because you have engaged the transmission, yet you pressed the brake to stop the car from moving. If you do this consistently for a long period of time, your transmission will have one problem or another. If you have a spare car you can experiment on it. Put the car on drive, pull the hand brake so it doesn't move (similar thing as applying foot brakes). Leave it like that for 10 minutes. And then release the hand brake, drive it. Repeat this maybe 5 times everyday for one month or 2, and let's see whether you won't visit a mechanic for gear problems grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:46am On Aug 23, 2019
Jadeng:

PRICE ?

asking 2.2. 08033910382

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by kakameks: 9:47am On Aug 23, 2019
I disagree with you on no.4

The L, 2 and D on the gear lever means something different from what you stated.

For instance engaging the L means you are limited to drive in the lowest gear ratio or gear 1. You can't go above gear 1.

Putting it in 2 does not mean you immediately start from second gear, it means you start from first gear as normal but you are limited to second gear. In other words you can't go beyond second gear.

Then putting it in D means all gear ratios are available for use.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 9:52am On Aug 23, 2019
lilkech:
when I see cars stopping ahead I switch to neutral and coast to a stop behind the car in front. I then let go of brake (engaging the handbrake if car wants to roll). When cars move I disengage the handbrake and switch to drive to move to the next stop.

Since I learned this habit the only thing I noticed is that my right leg and my brake pedal have become enemies and my brake pads last almost 2X longer than before.

Maybe it’s because I drove manual for years before even seeing auto
This right there is best practice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 9:53am On Aug 23, 2019
kakameks:
I disagree with you on no.4

The L, 2 and D on the gear lever means something different from what you stated.

For instance engaging the L means you are limited to drive in the lowest gear ratio or gear 1. You can't go above gear 1.

Putting it in 2 does not mean you immediately start from second gear, it means you start from first gear as normal but you are limited to second gear. In other words you can't go beyond second gear.

Then putting it in D means all gear ratios are available for use.
The OP has no clue on how cars work, he just did copy and paste without researching what he copied!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 9:56am On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

The OP has no clue on how cars work, he just did copy and paste without researching what he copied!

MotorGuru:
Automatic transmission is a torque multiplication device that is attached to your car's engine, which enables your car to shift gears automatically with little or no driver input. it is different from manual transmission in that there is no need for a pedal operated clutch. this makes your vehicle (if equipped with one ) to be very easy to drive especially in traffic jams. The ease it provides makes it very complex in its design and operation and if used incorrectly, can be easily damaged and can cost a lot of money( in some cases hundreds of thousands of Naira) to repair or replace.

wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MrYeezyB: 9:59am On Aug 23, 2019
Please can you shed more light on shifting to neutral in traffic? I often do it to ease the pressure off my leg and it seems to make the car idle gently. What do we do with the neutral gear?
MotorGuru:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 10:10am On Aug 23, 2019
MrYeezyB:
Please can you shed more light on shifting to neutral in traffic? I often do it to ease the pressure off my leg and it seems to make the car idle gently. What do we do with the neutral gear?
This is what you are meant to do, so keep doing it if you can be bothered, people leave their car on the drive and push on break cos they learnt this bad practice and it is the norm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 10:17am On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

This is what you are meant to do, so keep doing it if you can be bothered, people leave their car on the drive and push on break cos they learnt this bad practice and it is the norm

This can give you a further insight to my reason sir wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzEtxJkC7Y&t=599s

I humbly request that you watch from 7:14

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 10:26am On Aug 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

This can give you a further insight to my reason sir wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzEtxJkC7Y&t=599s

I humbly request that you watch from 7:14
You still don't get it, the guy is simply saying putting ur car in neutral and REV
Guess who rev their car in neutral manual or Auto? answer KIDS
At the red light, you put ur car on natural, tap your brake and engage your hand brake and rest your feet, this was why the brake.stop and start mechanism was invented.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by okus17: 10:41am On Aug 23, 2019
How much is the car?

GAZZUZZ:

one sch of thought says it overheats the gearbox

This vehicle is for sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERz6F88U00

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MotorGuru: 10:43am On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

You still don't get it, the guy is simply saying putting ur car in neutral and REV
Guess who rev their car in neutral manual or Auto? answer KIDS
At the red light, you put ur car on natural, tap your brake and engage your hand brake and rest your feet, this was why the brake.stop and start mechanism was invented.

The point of putting your gear in Neutral at a stoplight (the bone of contention here) instead of drive is the number 4 point he discussed in the video.

And it started from time 7:14. Fast forward to that time-frame and and watch from there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 10:49am On Aug 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

The point of putting your gear in Neutral at a stoplight (the bone of contention here) instead of drive is the number 4 point he discussed in the video.

And it started from time 7:14. Fast forward to that time-frame and and watch from there.

Yes, he was saying Rev your car. If you don't engage ur car on hand brake at the red light, you will fail your driving test in the UK!
Now explain to me how you rev your car by putting it in neutral and engaging ur hand brake?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:54am On Aug 23, 2019
okus17:
How much is the car?

my contact
Gazzuzz Autos

2c Awe St, Ifako-Ijaiye, Lagos
0803 391 0382 https://g.co/kgs/r5qLn7

Asking price 2.2m

Whatsapp Follow this link to message me on WhatsApp: https:///2348033910382

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by seproperties(m): 11:30am On Aug 23, 2019
Please in a simple language ,When in Traffic ,where should the Automatic Gear be set to in order to save the Gear from getting Spoilts quick . Someone said it should be in Neutral while Ieg is on the break .?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mclaren ₦792m Prototype Hypercar Burst Into Cloud Of Smoke At UK Petrol Station / 10 Supercars From Countries You Wouldn’t Expect (photos) / Serious Accident Around Ojodu Berger (just After Mobil Petrol Station)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.