Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars (32329 Views)

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? / Best Way To Drive Cars With Automatic Transmission Engines / 3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by olumzzz(m): 11:44am On Aug 23, 2019
MobilityExpress:

It might get overheated in some vehicle transmissions because you have engaged the transmission, yet you pressed the brake to stop the car from moving. If you do this consistently for a long period of time, your transmission will have one problem or another. If you have a spare car you can experiment on it. Put the car on drive, pull the hand brake so it doesn't move (similar thing as applying foot brakes). Leave it like that for 10 minutes. And then release the hand brake, drive it. Repeat this maybe 5 times everyday for one month or 2, and let's see whether you won't visit a mechanic for gear problems grin
I strongly disagree sir.
Because the experiment you stated above is the norm here in lagos and we don't have gear problems. At least I can speak for myself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by whiteboyswag: 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2019
Oga carguru pls answer the question and stop posting videos, what is the neutral position meant for and where should we keep our gear in traffic, you better not say on park because in most functional/recent rides once your car is on park all doors automatically opens and you know what that means in a dangerous area the white man reasons better because if he wants you to put it on park in traffic all doors won't open automatically that practice would endanger your life so please tell us. You made an explanation that cars when on neutral rpm keeps fluctuating, let me ask have you been driving scrap because my car be it on P, D,N or R car remains stable. Pls explain so you won't mislead people on here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by cuteralph101(m): 12:53pm On Aug 23, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

one sch of thought says it overheats the gearbox

This vehicle is for sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERz6F88U00

how much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by thebigkendo(m): 1:35pm On Aug 23, 2019
MobilityExpress:

It might get overheated in some vehicle transmissions because you have engaged the transmission, yet you pressed the brake to stop the car from moving. If you do this consistently for a long period of time, your transmission will have one problem or another. If you have a spare car you can experiment on it. Put the car on drive, pull the hand brake so it doesn't move (similar thing as applying foot brakes). Leave it like that for 10 minutes. And then release the hand brake, drive it. Repeat this maybe 5 times everyday for one month or 2, and let's see whether you won't visit a mechanic for gear problems grin

Handbrake cannot stop my car from moving oh..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by thebigkendo(m): 1:54pm On Aug 23, 2019
whiteboyswag:
Oga carguru pls answer the question and stop posting videos, what is the neutral position meant for and where should we keep our gear in traffic, you better not say on park because in most functional/recent rides once your car is on park all doors automatically opens and you know what that means in a dangerous area the white man reasons better because if he wants you to put it on park in traffic all doors won't open automatically that practice would endanger your life so please tell us. You made an explanation that cars when on neutral rpm keeps fluctuating, let me ask have you been driving scrap because my car be it on P, D,N or R car remains stable. Pls explain so you won't mislead people on here.

That function is optional.. You can disable it or change it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by senator2k9(m): 2:10pm On Aug 23, 2019
All is correct except number 3. I totally disagree with number 3

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:43pm On Aug 23, 2019
cuteralph101:
how much

Follow this link to message me on WhatsApp: https:///2348033910382
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 23, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Regularly turning off a car in short periods and turning it on back again will kill or damage your kickstarter faster than normal. If the waiting period is short, like a traffic light that goes green again maybe within 3 minutes or under, then there's no point turning off your car. But if the waiting period is long like 7 minutes and above, you can turn it off if you want. For the average vehicle in average shape, turning off your engine makes a difference in fuel consumption over long periods, that is saves fuel, but over short period of time it is a futile act because the fuel you saved by turning off the engine will be used to start it. But if your car is equipped with some modern fuel systems tech, you don't ever need to turn of your engine, as your engine will go to sleep mode by itself when it doesn't detect throttle movement over a certain amount of time (some 3 minutes etc) and then reactivate automatically by itself once you engage the throttle.

Really informative thank you..
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by mybestlove(m): 4:45pm On Aug 23, 2019
Oga automatic isn't for Nigerian roads and you auto dealers don't want to educate Nigerians on the reality.

JUST PROTECTING UNA MARKET
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 5:06pm On Aug 23, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Regularly turning off a car in short periods and turning it on back again will kill or damage your kickstarter faster than normal. If the waiting period is short, like a traffic light that goes green again maybe within 3 minutes or under, then there's no point turning off your car. But if the waiting period is long like 7 minutes and above, you can turn it off if you want. For the average vehicle in average shape, turning off your engine makes a difference in fuel consumption over long periods, that is saves fuel, but over short period of time it is a futile act because the fuel you saved by turning off the engine will be used to start it. But if your car is equipped with some modern fuel systems tech, you don't ever need to turn of your engine, as your engine will go to sleep mode by itself when it doesn't detect throttle movement over a certain amount of time (some 3 minutes etc) and then reactivate automatically by itself once you engage the throttle.
SO what say you with the stop and start technology in newer mech and Audis?
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 5:35pm On Aug 23, 2019
thebigkendo:

grin lol. Then check your rear brake linings or pads or brake cylinder drum, or handbrake cable etc. Handbrake fully engaged should be able to hold a stationary automatic vehicle (car) that is put in drive (gear one) without pressing the throttle. But there are exceptions, for some big SUVS and vans. And I don't know whether it works with automatic trucks or trailers grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 5:47pm On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

SO what say you with the stop and start technology in newer mech and Audis?

The cars with stop and start technology (which i referred to as the modern fuel system) use reinforced kickstarters that are built to be able to withstand frequent shutting off and restarts of the engine by the stop and start system.
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 5:52pm On Aug 23, 2019
MobilityExpress:

The cars with stop and start technology (which i referred to as the modern fuel system) use reinforced kickstarters that are built to be able to withstand frequent shutting off and restarts of the engine by the stop and start system.
Great. I have looked underneath mine, can't find anything like that, can you share a link to this statement?
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 5:55pm On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

Great. I have looked underneath mine, can't find anything like that, can you share a link to this statement?

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 6:00pm On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

Your starter might look like the normal one, as in appearance wise, but the difference is in the metallurgical build and components design. It is stronger and more durable by factory build than the normal type. But some starters look different.
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by weyreypey: 6:04pm On Aug 23, 2019
CAREFUL THAT MIGHT BE SOMETHING ELSE NOT A CAR

thebigkendo:

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 6:05pm On Aug 23, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Your starter might look like the normal one, as in appearance wise, but the difference is in the metallurgical build and components design. It is stronger and more durable by factory-build than the normal type. But some starters look different.
Anybody can say what you are saying, I asked for a link backing your statement until you do that we will assume you dont know what you are talking about!I really don't deal Wikipedia but we will leave it at that!
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by MobilityExpress: 6:39pm On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

Anybody can say what you are saying, I asked for a link backing your statement until you do that we will assume you dont know what you are talking about!I really don't deal Wikipedia but we will leave it at that!

Smh! Is it not common sense that moving metal parts will deteriorate faster when used frequently than when used ocassionally? Hence, it's a no-brainer that a car with start-stop technology has to have reinforced kickstarters otherwise the kickstarters will damage quicker with too frequent use. And not just the kickstarter alone, even the engine is at risk. An engine that stops and starts too frequently is at risk of higher wear and tear than the regular engine. No matter how good the engine oil is, grinding occurs, and synthetic oil can only minimize the effect to a minimal level, but it can not eliminate it completely. So even the engine bearings of a car equipped with stop-start tech etc are reinforced. And you might discredit wikipedia, understandable, but can you discredit "Haynes"?

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

www.haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/stop-start-technology-explained

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by erico2k2(m): 6:46pm On Aug 23, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Smh! Is it not common sense that moving metal parts will deteriorate faster when used frequently than when used ocassionally? Hence, it's a no-brainer that a car with start-stop technology has to have reinforced kickstarters otherwise the kickstarters will damage quicker with too frequent use. And not just the kickstarter alone, even the engine is at risk. An engine that stops and starts too frequently is at risk of higher wear and tear than the regular engine. No matter how good the engine oil is, grinding occurs, and synthetic oil can only minimize the effect to a minimal level, but it can not eliminate it completely. So even the engine bearings of a car equipped with stop-start tech etc are reinforced. And you might discredit wikipedia, understandable, but can you discredit "Haynes"?

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

www.haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/stop-start-technology-explained
Why bother yourself? all those sites are sites of people seeking relivrance, non of them manufacture car, this is like \\\\\kwikfit telling you to change your tyres yearly, not until the BMWs, Land rovers and Gm says so, all other talks are trash, but like i said let us not derail this thread, lets leave it as it is, if U want to continue on tis convo please creat another thread!
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Jalal(m): 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2019
Pls please when the Drive D4 gear light on your car dashboard keeps flashing what is the possible cause(s) and what is the remedy thanks.

Can one drive long distance in such case?
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by whiteboyswag: 10:23pm On Aug 23, 2019
thebigkendo:

That function is optional.. You can disable it or change it
Oga kazeem why would you want to utter the factory settings of a car it's people like you that will take out a thermostat in a car saying Nigeria weather is too hot. Nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by whiteboyswag: 10:26pm On Aug 23, 2019
Jalal:
Pls please when the Drive D4 gear light on your car dashboard keeps flashing what is the possible cause(s) and what is the remedy thanks.

It means gear oil is bad needs a change, gear oil is short or a gear sensor is bad or going bad. And no don't travel far with it gear will park up in no time
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Coolgent(m): 11:22pm On Aug 23, 2019
Thanks op but u need to do another homework cos No:3 is wrong.
Anyone doubting should google it

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by thebigkendo(m): 7:05am On Aug 24, 2019
whiteboyswag:
Oga kazeem why would you want to utter the factory settings of a car it's people like you that will take out a thermostat in a car saying Nigeria weather is too hot. Nonsense!!!
grin grin grin

You do know what a convenience feature is?

How can I "Kazeem" something that is in the user manual.. Most car usually have more than 1 option for the "auto door" locking
1- Moving the shift lever out of park will automatically lock all doors, putting it back to pack won't unlock the door
2-Moving the shift lever out of "Park" will automatically lock all doors. When the shift lever is moved back into "Park" all of the doors are automatically unlocked.

3- Door locks automatically when you speed up to 10mph & unlocked when unlocks when shift level is moved to pack

4- You can cancel the auto door lock feature

If only you cared to read your user manual, you would know this.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 24, 2019
thebigkendo:

grin grin grin

You do know what a convenience feature is?

How can I "Kazeem" something that is in the user manual.. Most car usually have more than 1 option for the "auto door" locking
1- Moving the shift lever out of park will automatically lock all doors, putting it back to pack won't unlock the door
2-Moving the shift lever out of "Park" will automatically lock all doors. When the shift lever is moved back into "Park" all of the doors are automatically unlocked.

3- Door locks automatically when you speed up to 10mph & unlocked when unlocks when shift level is moved to pack

4- You can cancel the auto door lock feature

If only you cared to read your user manual, you would know this.

Kia, see Pompous reply oooo.

Many cars don't come with user manual and many car owners don't know they can download it on the internet for FREE.

So as a POMPOUS thebigkendo, help the OP read his car manual and tell him the page number to find the information jooor.

Ayam out of here.
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by thebigkendo(m): 10:26am On Aug 24, 2019
TheCar:

Kia, see Pompous reply oooo.

Many cars don't come with user manual and many car owners don't know they can download it on the internet for FREE.

So as a POMPOUS bigkendo, help the OP read his car manual and tell him the page number to find the information jooor.

Ayam out of here.

But they know their way to nairaland to form car expert grin grin

Just look at his response to the "d4" question

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by jceesquare(m): 9:55pm On Aug 26, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Your starter might look like the normal one, as in appearance wise, but the difference is in the metallurgical build and components design. It is stronger and more durable by factory build than the normal type. But some starters look different.
And what if he drives an EV or hybrid car
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by jceesquare(m): 10:05pm On Aug 26, 2019
whiteboyswag:
It means gear oil is bad needs a change, gear oil is short or a gear sensor is bad or going bad. And no don't travel far with it gear will park up in no time
And I thought you were one guru like “OP” grin when you called someone a kazeem.
SMH, Google auto gurus.
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Lawbliss(f): 12:30pm On Oct 17, 2019
Jalal:

saw your pm just drop your whatsapp number I will get to you but hope no problem?
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Alennsar(f): 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2020
Jalal:

Assalamualaykum. Kindly check your mail
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Alennsar(f): 3:54pm On Apr 18, 2020
[quote author=Jalal post=81540065]Pls please when the Drive D4 gear light on your car dashboard keeps flashing what is the possible cause(s) and what is the remedy thanks.

Can one drive long distance in such case? [/quote

Assalamualaykum. Kindly check your mail
Re: 5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars by Alennsar(f): 5:57pm On Apr 19, 2020
Jalal:

Please check your mail. Seems like you are not seeing my mentions

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew / Photos Of A Man Washing His Car In A Flooded Rivers Road / This Three-wheeled Keke Napep Just Sets A 31-minute Nurburgring Lap Record

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.