Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Escaping Death: My Journey Through America - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Escaping Death: My Journey Through America (42086 Views)

Businessman Rams His SUV Into A Keke NAPEP Used By Escaping Armed Robbers(photo) / Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State / Peace Mass Transit Accident: Man Shares His Testimony After Escaping Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by mrpeps(m): 12:56am On Aug 24, 2019
Oksy
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by DonX001: 1:07am On Aug 24, 2019
Wow. This is beyond the height of hustle....this one don dey enter craze... shocked shocked shocked
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by falopey: 1:31am On Aug 24, 2019
tyup:

nice one from you

I do have this two disturbing questions
1. was arguing with a pal of mine that there's nothing of such as highway robbery in the US or getting robbed while traveling inter states

pls kindly answer. Thanks
About highway robbery in the US. There’s nothing of such. OP is just trying to create suspense in his story painting Nigerian picture of what usually takes place on lonely highways especially in Nigeria. People don’t go about with cash in the US. What would a highway robber steal? They only rob stores where they can get cash.

1 Like

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by dochenaj: 3:02am On Aug 24, 2019
DelilahMakinde:
It's a big problem posting personal experiences here...
Why so?
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by sonnie10: 4:58am On Aug 24, 2019
tyup:

nice one from you

I do have this two disturbing questions
1. was arguing with a pal of mine that there's nothing of such as highway robbery in the US or getting robbed while traveling inter states

2. max speed is 80kmph and if you check around and figure no police seem to be on the road side and you accelerated to about 90 or ah 100kmph, how do police know to engage you in a chase since you looked around and they don't seem to be around

pls kindly answer. Thanks
Google is your friend. Google Speed radar. There are two or more types. Hand held and mounted ones. There are also cameras, which they can monitor traffic on screens from the comfort of their cars in a remote allay

3 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by yahamisu: 5:06am On Aug 24, 2019
My apologies for keeping you all waiting. Just got back from a short trip which took me all day due to the rain nd traffic.

I'll respond to your questions and comments once I wake up..... however, got a 4000miles trip coming up next week and I look forward to sharing that with you on a live feed basis.

If anything goes wrong, I have you all to gist with.

Follow me on Instagram @yahamisu

Though you gotta forgive me for not having anything posted. Still new to all this .

Good night y'all
This picture killed me....lol

11 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by AleAirHub(m): 5:59am On Aug 24, 2019
Following....
I can't believe I just read everything at this early hour of the day.
@op NA jazz

Educative sha cool

1 Like

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by UniversalDove: 6:38am On Aug 24, 2019
onegig:

Not going to judge him but honestly there is no way you won't want to conclude that he is either stupid or just desperate for money.
to be candid with you, after reading the entire OP travlogue, I concluded he is simply stupid.
People who are desperate for money always plan ahead and consider alternatives

5 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by UniversalDove: 6:42am On Aug 24, 2019
jaxxy:

At the end of the day he encountered grave danger and still lost more time and money so maybe in that regard he was stupid. No pun intended here.
no coloration to it. Being stupid is being stupid. I just hope he wasn't stupid enough to send the car down to 9ja

4 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by lekyar(m): 8:09am On Aug 24, 2019
yahamisu:

Woke up at about twelve noon. feeling lazy and wanting to stay

in bed all day. my phone suddenly rang. a call from Nigeria

requesting the inventory i had ( i purchase and ship cars to

people) and with my efficiency and tract record of prompt

delivery, my customer base grew to a level i had to eventually

run from.
The caller requested that i purchase and ship 2 lexus rx 330

to Nigeria urgently. so i opened my app to playfully search.

the plan was to find a good deal (as always done) for the best

price and propmt completion of the job.
behold, in less than 10 minutes i found 1 which was just

posted, i gave my innitial asking price and we wher set to

deal.

3:30pm (my local time) i asked for his phone number and

address but to my shock, he is located in Stockton California

(northern california).

Damn!!!....this deal is about to give me usd $2000 in 2-3 days

what do i do?

I called the vehicle owner and made a deal that if he keeps

it for me, i'll be there the following day in the afternoon

(obviously he saw my mobile number was from Baltimore MD and

to him, this was some sorta joke).

The clock was ticking and i needed to get moving. checked

all available airports within a 100 mile radius but the only

available flight booking i could get was JETBLUE from JFK NYC

to LAX CA.

well, i booked it and ran to the shower shortly after

returning my Nigerian Client's call to conclude on the

delivery price.

5;00pm... i stepped into my car and drove to the greyhound bus

park. my intention was to leave my car there, take the bus to

NYC (3hours 30mins trip to jkf). everything seemed normal.

5:30pm...I got to greyhound and the next available bus was

scheduled for 8pm. i have to be at the airport before 10pm cos

my flight was for 10:40pm.

I have paid about $270 for the cheap non refundable flight and

am not about to loose such amounts on a Sunday evening so i

got on the road and was on my way to JFK.

Plan B... This was to simply drive to the airport, park ma car

there and i'll come get it once i return(man proposes....)

about 20 minutes into my drive, just before the first paid

toll, i came to a total stand still. a horrible accident

involving loss of lives happened and the entire North bound

interstate highway #95 was blocked.

I was determined that nothing could stop me so, i took the

only available exit which makes me drive trough some towns in

Delaware.

on getting to a gas station i filled up and while just looking

around, i saw a white guy getting into his pickup truck. so i

approached him.

Plan C....Asked if he was headed my direction and he replied

in the afirmative. so, i nicely asked if he could drop me off

at JFK. he said he can drop me off In new york then ill find

my way.

Without any form of hesitation, i hopped in and we where set

to go. he took longer routes to avoid traffic but with my

calculations, the only way i could make the flight was if he

dropped me off at the airport gate. since i knew i might miss

the flight, i tried changing the schedule on my phone but it

will cost me $800 just to shift my schedule to the next day.

Double Damn!!!.

I was able to convince the white guy to drop me off at the

airport gate in exchange for me paying all the tolls and gas

(great gentleman indeed).

10;25pm.... I got to the departure gate. then it was a race

against time. got to the counter and they said boarding is

closed. then this black guy came to me and asked that we race

to the aircraft. Mind you, the airport is like a mini city on

its own.... I ran with him like a mad man and luckily i made

it just when the flight attendant was about to shut the door.

WHEW!!!..... for the next 30 minutes, I was gasping for air

(guess i have to quit smoking ciggaretts....lol)

Had a smooth 6 hour flight and landed in LAX at dawn. got an

airport shuttle which took me into the annoying city of Los

Angeles. dirt and filt all over, with the highest number of

homless crack junkies i have ever seen. mind you, the

California economy alone, rivals some european countries. so

when you complain about something, open your heart and channel

your pains in the right direction (our wicked politicians in

Nigeria come to mind).

After nibling on some real mexican Tacos, washed down well

with some very hot coffee. i was set for the next step. took a

7 hour Greyhound bus ride to Fresno then got on the Amtrak

train ride to Stockton).

3:00pm I landed in Stockton, called the seller and we

concluded our deal. had some problems withrawing the total

amount via the ATM(couldnt use the bank cos it was Martin

Luther King day which is a public holiday). it took us till

around 7pm before we concluded the deal(found other means of

paying up). signed all the papers, said good bye and i left

with the first car.

he kept telling me am crazy and even though i had shown him

all my travel itirinary, he still couldnt believe what was

happening. this is simply because the distance is not

something you just get on the road and think you can make it

in 1 piece.

Anyway, i had this spiritual strenght pushing me cos honestly,

i wasnt thinking. (I SIMPLY KEPT GOING WITH THE FLOW).

Around 8pm, i was done resting so i got in the vehicle and the

intention was to drive back to Los Angeles, buy a second of

the same SUV, connect them together using a tow dolly and get

on the road for an almost 3000 miles trip.

Once again, man proposes....(you know the rest) just about 10

mins into getting on the interstate highway #5, i started

hearing a knocking sound and the vehicle wont just move well.

I looked up into the sky. called on God and felt like God has

totally abandoned me to an up coming misery. if the problem is

what i think it is, then am about to loose about usd $5000

just in 1 deal....DAMN.

the prospect of making $2000 turned into the posibility of

loosing $5000....plus all my efforts.

On getting off the highway, i went into a gas station, did all

the checks familiar to me and couldnt point my finger at any

problem....the knocking sound just kept getting stronger.

A mexican guy walked up to me, said he heard the engine and i

needed to shut down the engine asap.

he called a mechanic (who happens to be his father) and my

greatest fear was confirmed. the engine is f.u.c.ked up. what

do i do

DAMN!!!

to be continued..........
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by oladipo322(m): 8:12am On Aug 24, 2019
So it now a crime to post one's experience on nairaland...... even if the OP never planned for such why can't we just learn from his own story. OP PLEASE JUST TURN DEAF EARS ON THOSE CALLING U NAMES.

17 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by 11thGoldTREE: 8:38am On Aug 24, 2019
koolaid87:

You're a foolish, anyhow human being
Running your mouth like a Sisi
I see you are angry. Call me to vent your anger. here is my number. 08030000000

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by jaxxy(m): 8:42am On Aug 24, 2019
UniversalDove:
no coloration to it. Being stupid is being stupid. I just hope he wasn't stupid enough to send the car down to 9ja

If he did he wud definitely fix or replace the engine for the client bt that wasn’t really his fault also. I still admire alot about this guy despite all this, he simply made a mistake in judgment, learnt and is sharing for others to learn. That is very admirable and we are learning from it. There are alot of positives to take from this than just ridiculing him. We all make mistakes and learn. Hopefully we don’t make so serious ones.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by mindboggler: 8:46am On Aug 24, 2019
Op, I like your write up. Would be interesting to read to the end so do the needful.
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 24, 2019
I guess the old saying never goes out of fashion, Look very well, in Pidgin, shine your eyes before you leap. Sorry Buddy... After al this wahala, Your Naija pals fit begin Dey para why you no wan send dem Dough ...Lmao...Inside Life...

3 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by Cyril009(m): 9:08am On Aug 24, 2019
Q
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by tyup(m): 9:31am On Aug 24, 2019
sonnie10:

Google is your friend. Google Speed radar. There are two or more types. Hand held and mounted ones. There are also cameras, which they can monitor traffic on screens from the comfort of their cars in a remote allay

Google will not give you everything plus US can adjust Google to paint their country good & well to the world

type how safe Nigeria is Google will only tell you to avoid the North but wount tell you how kidnapping is common In the south west and how Rivers is now a bloodbath. so I know I'm not wrong asking the question here.

Lastly, people learn faster from their pairs not online

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by PeacenLove2: 9:34am On Aug 24, 2019
jaxxy:

If he did he wud definitely fix or replace the engine for the client bt that wasn’t really his fault also. I still admire alot abit this guy despite all this, he simply made a mistake in judgment, learnt and is sharing for others to learn. That is very admirable and we are learning from it. There are alot of positives to take from this than just ridiculing him. We all make mistakes and learn. Hopefully we don’t make so serious ones.

Oh, let them go ahead and ridicule him. What did you think drew me to this post in the first place? Sometimes all publicity whether positive or negative is publicity. So ride on! wink

2 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by Hadampson(m): 9:42am On Aug 24, 2019
ijesuoboikxp1:
That's why no place like home, home is the best. But if you want to survive the hardship you just have to face your greatest fear.

I presume your home is NIGERIA. Seems you are used to hardship if not, you wouldn't have made that statement.

Just imagine, with all the killings going on in Nigeria, you still take the country as HOME. To each his own sha.

4 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by tyup(m): 9:43am On Aug 24, 2019
falopey:
About highway robbery in the US. There’s nothing of such. OP is just trying to create suspense in his story painting Nigerian picture of what usually takes place on lonely highways especially in Nigeria. People don’t go about with cash in the US. What would a highway robber steal? They only rob stores where they can get cash.

thanks xoxo much for this info
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by katlord(m): 10:09am On Aug 24, 2019
11thGoldTREE:
I see you are angry. Call me to vent your anger. here is my number. 08030000000

You be fool oooo

Ekpa! Very nonsense yuman beans (you don't deserve called human being walahi)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by chijioke17(m): 10:37am On Aug 24, 2019
temmy1123:
Please complete the story bro..

We are dealers of granite and marble. Whatsap +2347039574830
Nice
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by umarshehu58(m): 1:30pm On Aug 24, 2019
We are waiting for op to finish what he started o

Abi d journey never end?
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by sonnie10: 1:38pm On Aug 24, 2019
tyup:

Google will not give you everything plus US can adjust Google to paint their country good & well to the world

type how safe Nigeria is Google will only tell you to avoid the North but wount tell you how kidnapping is common In the south west and how Rivers is now a bloodbath. so I know I'm not wrong asking the question here.
You can’t even thank me for the one I explained to you. Now you want to learn from your peers.

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by sonnie10: 1:43pm On Aug 24, 2019
tyup:

You can’t even thank me for the one I explained to you. Now you want to learn from your peers
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by yahamisu: 1:49pm On Aug 24, 2019
@tyup : there is no such thing as highway robbery in every part of the world i have personally been to so far, except Nigeria. to your second question.: as for speeding, its all a personal thing cos even with the use of navigation apps like WAZE, sometimes you dont see the police or camera ahead since its a user fed app. just drive with caution or get pulled over and given a ticket.

@revolva : thank you for seeking to purchase a car from me but am sorry i cant receive money from a person i dont know in person, will have to know you through a reference. sorry about that bro.... I've had too much negative experiences. hope you find what you looking for.

@raysleek .... @ onegig .....@gidiwoodsman .....and similar comments : Well, if dealers start buying normal american standard cars with legal inspection then, no one will be able to afford a car in naija except for our criminal minded politicians. every car you see shipped to naija, is either high millage or accident and trust me, we go through a lot to get those deals even though the profit margin is low, spend alot on logistics and Nigerians always trouble us with payments.

Finally, as for those who say am desperate and stupid, well, you might be right to an extent but if you come to America with no one to stand for you on anything, you will toughen up, be a man and make things happen but as i said in the begining, something kept pushing me and after all the troubles, i even lost money on the transaction but the experience is worth more than a million dollars and you will see my reason in my conclusion.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by yahamisu: 3:01pm On Aug 24, 2019
From the moment i stopped, I knew this was it and all i could think of was how to communicate my last words to my wife, my kids, my mother and my siblings (I DON ENTER).

It was a struggle walking around the car to see if its an easy pile of snow which i could clear with my hands to free up all 8 tires but apparently, the snow fell all night and even though there are snow plows working all night, very heavy winds continually blow the snow around and now, the road is icy. Mind you, the wind in that section of the highway, passes through a vacuum-like corridor and blows out with high pressure, having enough strength to blow away 18 wheeler trailers like like toys.

Watch this on youtube to see what am saying, .(watch how the truck is skidding to the side at most points, you either see vehicles/trailers tipped over from the wind or they park by the side for hours unending, waiting for it to get better.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GBlLfWvNjs

Suddenly, i heard a loud horn, with tires screeching towards me. the trailer missed me by a few inches cos the visibility was almost non. even though i heard and saw a gimps of the oncoming heavy duty barely seconds before the driver halted, i couldnt move an inch. (you cant walk/run on ice)...

I was able to find my way towards the trailer and climb to his window, first i saw him breathing hard from fear of almost clearing me off the road, then this conversation occurred ...

Truck driver : Nigga you done lost your mind or something (in a very angry tone).
Me : thank you soo much for stopping(ignoring the obvious fact that i scared the living daylight out of him by appearing out of no where)

Truck driver : maaaaaan i aint stop for your black ass, i danm near killed you man
Me : Thank goodness you didnt. pleeeeeease help pull me out of the snow, ma engine is still running

Truck driver : sorry man, i aint got no chains
Me: its my lucky day, i got 4 chains in ma trunk

Truck driver : uuuuhhhmmm....sorry i cant
Me: come on man, i can die in less than an hour in this cold please help me. its freezing out here

Truck driver : naaaaaah sorry i cant .(shaking his head in the negatory)
Me: total silence

So, i stepped down from the window side and he drove off. my mouth started shaking from the cold as my tooth was clinging. my knees shaking, my ears numb with no feel. my beard started freezing up and everything just got blank for some seconds.

to be continued...
(pic below...better roads ahead)

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by ogbiwa: 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2019
Engaging storyline

@yahamisu, I understand how this started. The allure of a $2000 deal was too good to not try. I salute your courage and spirit.

Would love to know how this deal concluded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by dannybrasky(m): 5:02pm On Aug 24, 2019
Insult o.p all you want! @yamisu I must commend you big time, U ARE FREAKING HARDCORE MEEEENNNN
Believe me when I say i know that spirit and feeling, it takes a lot of gut and heart to get somethings done in life.Not everyone would be blessed to become someone/rich/famous/comfortable through easy means.

I'm yet to know the conclusion of your story,but with you just getting out of bed and in just few hours making a huge decision that would put some dollar in your pocket,to me it's a WOOW and wonderfully impressive.

At the end of the day it either make u or break u. (U either profit or lose). But one thing is for sure u would learn from it.

To me it's not stupidity,its risk and in business risk are involved. Like I said earlier I know that spirit,and that's the MIND OF A HUSTLER wink The suspense dey kill me o,I'm eager to know the outcome of your ordeal grin

10 Likes

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by tyup(m): 5:47pm On Aug 24, 2019
sonnie10:
You can’t even thank me for the one I explained to you. Now you want to learn from your peers

Lol so sorry bro

thanks xoxo for the info given more wisdom
Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by oxiide22(m): 6:16pm On Aug 24, 2019
11thGoldTREE:
who goes to buy a car and pays fully without testing the ride,?

In your bid to sound intelligent, your stupidity became even more obvious.
You are not a bright young man. You must have took after your father
grin wink grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Escaping Death: My Journey Through America by armyofone(m): 6:31pm On Aug 24, 2019
Your story is the American dream of just about anyone living here...the tales of hustlers esp immigrants ever since from the founding fathers.
Take it easy and don't cut too much corners to make big profits...may the road ahead be smooth!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anambra Intercepts Truck From Jos, Transporting Passengers, Animals (Photos) / Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) Crashes Near Karachi / Accident Survivors Celebrate With Bottles Of Beer On The Road In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.