Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,791 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

The Day We Met - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Day We Met (489 Views)

How We Met / We Met / When Last We Met!~ A Story By Babatunde Isiaq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Day We Met by sylviachidera(f): 7:51pm On Aug 22, 2019
EPISODE 1
Kabi ,Kabi... they kept calling my name. I thought I was in heaven already , but when the handsome doctor T , as we usually called him ,touched my hands, I suddenly realized I was still on earth, breathing.
But sadly, I wasn't dead , but, at this point of my life , I felt it was better for me to be gone , than to be in this pain.
I made a mess of my life, I made the wrong choice, no one was to blame for my sorrows, not my friends, and certainly not my parents . I made my choice and it was mine to live with till eternity.
It all started when I met that igbo boy ,chinedu.I remember it clearly, it was June 27th, 2012. I attended a friend's party, and there he was, a very fine young man ,he was pretty for a man ,he was very tall , cheerful and outspoken. Chinedu was the life of the party kinda guy, but a Jesus boy at that.
Being the shy girl I was, I was sitted at one spot, hidden, trying to sip my maltina in peace. Chinedu's laughter and smile caught my attention, He was so fine a yong man, for any lady not to notice. It was already past seven p.m and I certainly had to be home, besides my house was miles away from Sharon's house, which was in Surulere.
I lived with my parents and my three siblings; Jessie, Joy and Camara at Okota. My parents were the conservative type, they were the typical " church goers", especially my mum, that was a hobby of her's I think.
Back to the party, I was trying to buzz sharon that I had to be leaving , so she could see me off, so I could get a bus going to Oshodi and from there I find my way to Okota. Sharon was too engrossed in entertaining her guests. It was running late, so I had to go and get Sharon's attention . I walked towards the sit out where Sharon was sitting with her boyfriend, Obi and his guys. I was trembling, I have always been the shy girl, who couldn't even hurt a fly. Immediately , Chinedu saw me approaching, he smiled , and obviously I looked away , but I tried not to trip and fall , because that would be a disaster ; one which my friend's would not forget so soon. Sharon spotted me ,and shouted my name, "Kabi , Kabi, come over here o ! , come and say hi to Chinedu, i don find husband for you oo!" , I chuckled.
Sharon introduced us to each other . I was trying to get her attention alone, that I needed to leave , but she din't figure it out. Chinedu noticed my uneasiness and he said; ' you look uneasy , do you need to be home now?. I immediately said yes, and he was like he could drop me off at home, that his ride was outside. I tried to insist ,but he was a sweet talker . Well the deal was , I spare him five minutes of my time to get to know me better and he drives me all the way home. It felt weird, someone I had just met , was this another scheme men use now? , I thought to myself , but I was running late so i decided to be open minded ,besides I was covered with the blood of Jesus.
Five minutes became thirty, and more , Chinedu was such a sweet talker , it was like he knew every thought in my mind and before I could utter a word, he would say one sweet thing to make me smile.
It was already past nine p.m , hmm, I was shaking, different thoughts came to my mind, it was running late, and we had not even reached Oshodi yet. There was a bit of traffic on the road , my mind was already calculating the lies I would tell my parents . He noticed my worries and turned on the music , and yes, it was my favourite song , Neyo's miss independent , yes , cheesy right? , but it was golden to me. The airconditioner was on, the music was playing , Chinedu was all smiley and calm, he had no worries.
Finally, I got to last bus-stop by ten p.m on the dot and he parked by the filling station and said he knew I wouldn't want him to go further , as to dropping me inside my street, so my parents wouldn't see him. That was a brilliant idea, Chinedu had thought ahead. Yet another thing he did which made me curious about him. He called a bike for me, he spoke hausa to the bike guy and brought out one thousand Naira note from his wallet and asked the bike guy for change,I told him not to bother, but he insisted . Before I got on the bike, i turned and asked him , wouldn't you ask for my number? he smiled and said he did not want to be too forward , I said good and then the bike guy drove off into the street.
I got home and my sister Jessie opened the door for me , oh i forgot to mention, we were all girl's in my house. My parents were sitting down and watching tv, looking all cuddled up, they were so in love ,even in their fifthies and sixties, they still had it in them to be affectionate towards each other ,and that love flowed deep down in us ,and that made us the sweet girls we were .
To my surprise , my parents didn't raise their voices, especially my dad, who was the strict one, he was all smiley. They welcomed me and i headed to my room, Jessie ,my immediate junior sister, followed me to the room with excitement to hear all the gists from sharon's eighteenth birthday party . I was exhausted and all i could think of was being alone, so I could recall all the moments with chinedu. I was already drooling, I couldn't sleep a bit that night, I thought about every moment. I was amazed at how a man could be so handsome , gentle, caring and sweet , but if only I had known that meeting Chinedu that fateful day was the begining of my doom.
Weeks went by, I was busy with school , there was no time for me to even think of anything else. Our second semester exams were approaching and it was my fourth year exam, after that I would be entering my fifth year. I failed to mention, I and Sharon were law students . Both me and Sharon go way back , our history is as old as it can get. I have known Sharon since my SS1 days. We met in Holy Child Secondary school. We were practically sisters, I was even closer to her than my own blood sisters.
One fateful day, I was studying in my room for my exams. After an hour, Sharon was tired and decided to take a break from reading . She wasn't the "book reader" type , but still she managed to ace her courses , that was the kind of person sharon was, but I on the other hand , was born with books. while some are said to be born with silver spoons, I always believed I was born with books. I loved reading, I could read for five hours straight a spot. I was the serious type . I wouldn't say I was a boring girl, but I knew how to have fun in my own way.
Sharon saw a post of Chinedu while scrolling through her phone on instagram and she tapped me and said:
"babe come and see your hubby oo", I was dazed, hubby ke?. I didn't pay attention to her. She tapped me again; "it's Chinedu oo, I quickly turned and asked where he was, she laughed and said ; i'm going through his page on Instagram . I sat close to her, and she opened his page, I couldn't help but smile, like a baby. Chinedu was such a cutie, and I discovered he was a model, hmm,very catchy.
I quickly memorized his IG handle in my head . Later that day, I searched for his page and sent him a request for a follow back , but I had my doubts, would Chinedu even remember a girl like me?.
I was disturbed by my silly thoughts. I decided to turn off my mobile data and go back to studying, but no way, my mind was divided, there was no more concentration. I tried sleeping, no way, so I turned on my mobile data and immediaty I got a notification from IG , it was from Chinedu, he had just followed me back , wow so soon , I thought to myself. I didn't expect him to be online , I didn't expect him to reply so fast, but he did and he even sent me a direct message, which read.... "miss independent , I knew you would reach out soon".
Well I had no words, none, I was speechless, Chinedu just had the right words to say to get my attention.

1 Like

Re: The Day We Met by Treasurewamiri(f): 2:22pm On Aug 24, 2019
Where is episode 3 O!

(1) (Reply)

Rejected Lover / Experienced Writers Needed For Long Term Partnership Asap !!! PHASE 4 / Analysis Of The Poem 'A Government Driver On His Retirement' By Chibuike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.