Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer (14289 Views)

How To Be Successful In Brooding Chicks / Call Us For Help In Brooding Of Day Old Chicks / Top Five Management In Brooding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 2:41pm On Aug 30, 2019
EhiGid:
great one chief, i am following kenly

grin I'm just a first timer

1 Like

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by renewable1(m): 3:00pm On Aug 30, 2019
Very interesting.
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by jadajada: 4:23pm On Aug 30, 2019
How much do u intend to sell @ four weeks.
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 30, 2019
aysnoopy,

The best approach is to keep diary of daily weight gain of each bird, or might be every 3 days. This will guide you if you are making good progress or slow progress. It will show you what to change, perhaps, you change the feed brand, or you continue with it. What you want to do is to achieve 2kg in 30 days which to me is a huge task. Except you have the market to sell less than 2kg. Maybe you need to state clearly your objectives so that guys can rally round you. And they can do that if you show your progress scientifically by updating daily weight gain, or every 3 days weight gain. Definitely, guys will start making suggestions. Questions will roll in too. Just add spices to make your thread attractive and interesting.

It's a leap of faith we all took when we started in our various fields. And you have taken it. Very soon, you will look behind you and see yourself at the top. You don't need to continue telling everyone you are new. Just keep it going, and give updates with the weight gain of your birds.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 8:01pm On Aug 30, 2019
Pistotita:
aysnoopy,

The best approach is to keep diary of daily weight gain of each bird, or might be every 3 days. This will guide you if you are making good progress or slow progress. It will show you what to change, perhaps, you change the feed brand, or you continue with it. What you want to do is to achieve 2kg in 30 days which to me is a huge task. Except you have the market to sell less than 2kg. Maybe you need to state clearly your objectives so that guys can rally round you. And they can do that if you show your progress scientifically by updating daily weight gain, or every 3 days weight gain. Definitely, guys will start making suggestions. Questions will roll in too. Just add spices to make your thread attractive and interesting.

It's a leap of faith we all took when we started in our various fields. And you have taken it. Very soon, you will look behind you and see yourself at the top. You don't need to continue telling everyone you are new. Just keep it going, and give updates with the weight gain of your birds.

thanks so much for this suggestion. it's on my mind too but I don't av scale. I wish I've scale to check dere weight gain.
I'll see to it sir

1 Like

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 8:02pm On Aug 30, 2019
jadajada:
How much do u intend to sell @ four weeks.

are u interested?
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by ovadbar: 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2019
aysnoopy:

regulate?
whenever it's too hot, I took it outside
this is not automatic heater.. it's a small scale farming, so charcoal stove is common

which one do u use Sir?
Kerosene lantern.
Doh mine is in a smaller cage.
I guess d stove also works perfectly, afterall ur birds are ok. More grease bro
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by ovadbar: 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2019
Please which broiler did u buy, AMO, AGRITTED,,...?
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 9:41pm On Aug 31, 2019
ovadbar:

Kerosene lantern.
Doh mine is in a smaller cage.
I guess d stove also works perfectly, afterall ur birds are ok. More grease bro

thanks bro.
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 9:42pm On Aug 31, 2019
ovadbar:
Please which broiler did u buy, AMO, AGRITTED,,...?

FIDAN
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 9:44pm On Aug 31, 2019
4 weeks broiler for sale. contact me
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by okusbaba(m): 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2019
aysnoopy:

FIDAN
alright
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 5:06am On Sep 02, 2019
aysnoopy:

Building and equipment cost about 110000
12ft by 20ft
The house design is wrong for this our weather. Most farmers know these after stocking. The coaches are too high. At worst, you should have 2 coaches or even one. Inside of the pen will be hell during the heat. No air from the wall and high wall from the fence.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 5:33am On Sep 02, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

The house design is wrong for this our weather. Most farmers know these after stocking. The coaches are too high. At worst, you should have 2 coaches or even one. Inside of the pen will be hell during the heat. No air from the wall and high wall from the fence.

Very correct observation sir. I saw it too, but decided to keep quiet. The owner tried saving cost by making 50% sides on the wall. I think he doesn't understand the concept of cross ventilation in poultry. Ammonia and other gasses will always be high. And when the birds start generating internal heat when they start getting big, things will certainly get awkward.

It's always good to really understand why things are done the way they are done. This helps a lot to not make mistake from the start.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 2:28pm On Sep 02, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

thanks so much for ur observation sir.
what do u think i can do now sir?

1 Like

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 2:29pm On Sep 02, 2019
Pistotita:

Very correct observation sir. I saw it too, but decided to keep quiet. The owner tried saving cost by making 50% sides on the wall. I think he doesn't understand the concept of cross ventilation in poultry. Ammonia and other gasses will always be high. And when the birds start generating internal heat when they start getting big, things will certainly get awkward.

It's always good to really understand why things are done the way they are done. This helps a lot to not make mistake from the start.

thanks so much for ur contribution.
what do u think i can do now?

1 Like

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 02, 2019
aysnoopy:

thanks so much for ur observation sir.
what do u think i can do now sir?
Never cover the pen when there are above 3 weeks. When you have money, you can readjust the height of the coaches to 2.
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 4:08pm On Sep 02, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Never cover the pen when there are above 3 weeks. When you have money, you can readjust the height of the coaches to 2.

thanks so much sir
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by joshymere(m): 9:57pm On Sep 02, 2019
08066311919 interested
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 3:22pm On Sep 03, 2019
Day 16
They are growing so fast and eating like prisoners.
125/127 .
Two mortality so far.
1 killed by me mistakenly and the other died maybe cold or something else

1 Like

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 1:22am On Sep 11, 2019
hello house, I'm here once again.
it been a while I've post online.. the road is really rough and tough but all glory belong to God.
I started selling dem at 3 weeks, and I'm gaining a lot of experience. it's not easy at all, little profit due to some things but I've learnt a lot in the business now. my next batch will be totally different by God's grace

d attached picture is on Saturday 7th of sept when DEy are 20days

1 Share

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2019
I've sold out 123 broilers at 3weeks.. Though I don't see much gain due to been a first timer, and I've learnt a lot and some people are also willing to put me through..
Thanks to everyone that contribute to d success..
May God reward you with good things.. Amen!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Damian077: 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2019
You have done well. Don't relent !

1 Like

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2019
aysnoopy:
I've sold out 123 broilers at 3weeks.. Though I don't see much gain due to been a first timer, and I've learnt a lot and some people are also willing to put me through..
Thanks to everyone that contribute to d success..
May God reward you with good things.. Amen!!!

It's quite smart to sell out at 3 weeks of age. You actually applied Emmachile's suggestion in a better way. But remember this is cold season. Dry season is coming.

What you need to do is work more on marketing. During my research, I found out there are buyers who will take around 2.5kg chicken at above N2,000 if you choose tall breeds. Also, the first week is critical and determines the rapid growth of your chicken. Go for the best feed during this period. Even the first 2 weeks when they don't eat much, that's what you do. Go for the best feed. Let them bulk up weight fast, and give them calcium supplement to help their hips and legs carry the rapid weight. You may need to reduce the numbers of DOCs you are buying if you decide to grow them to 6 or 7 weeks. But really, I think this is the time you really make the cash. Or if you can hit 2kg in 4 weeks. You should have checked the weight of the birds to even know the amount you sold per kg. My brother, without taking proper records, you will just be working in vain. I am sure if you had recorded the weights, you will get more suggestions here. Otherwise, you may be working in vain. Please, get on board again. Work on the pen so there will be great cross ventilation.

If you bulk them up fast by using the best feed around, you will make more profit. I have checked the figures, using inferior feed is not worth it. Don't use improvised feed in the name of reducing cost of ptoduction. This is the honest truth. Reduce the numbers of DOCs and use the remaining cash to buy excellent feed.

Good job, and best of luck in your next round.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 4:43pm On Sep 11, 2019
Pistotita:

It's quite smart to sell out at 3 weeks of age. You actually applied Emmachile's suggestion in a better way. But remember this is cold season. Dry season is coming.

What you need to do is work more on marketing. During my research, I found out there are buyers who will take around 2.5kg chicken at above N2,000 if you choose tall breeds. Also, the first week is critical and determines the rapid growth of your chicken. Go for the best feed during this period. Even the first 2 weeks when they don't eat much, that's what you do. Go for the best feed. Let them bulk up weight fast, and give them calcium supplement to help their hips and legs carry the rapid weight. You may need to reduce the numbers of DOCs you are buying if you decide to grow them to 6 or 7 weeks. But really, I think this is the time you really make the cash. Or if you can hit 2kg in 4 weeks. You should have checked the weight of the birds to even know the amount you sold per kg. My brother, without taking proper records, you will just be working in vain. I am sure if you had recorded the weights, you will get more suggestions here. Otherwise, you may be working in vain. Please, get on board again. Work on the pen so there will be great cross ventilation.

If you bulk them up fast by using the best feed around, you will make more profit. I have checked the figures, using inferior feed is not worth it. Don't use improvised feed in the name of reducing cost of ptoduction. This is the honest truth. Reduce the numbers of DOCs and use the remaining cash to buy excellent feed.

Good job, and best of luck in your next round.

Thanks so much for ur advice.
I use breedwell starter but I wasn't encouraged with d way they price my chicks at 3weeks, but someone who is into brood and sell told me to use Breedwell professional for a better result.
so, what do u think about this?
also, do u know about privacy method in brooding chicks?
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 11, 2019
aysnoopy:

Thanks so much for ur advice.
I use breedwell starter but I wasn't encouraged with d way they price my chicks at 3weeks, but someone who is into brood and sell told me to use Breedwell professional for a better result.
so, what do u think about this?
also, do u know about privacy method in brooding chicks?

Really, I don't know much about available brands at this moment, but I have read that breed well isn't bad. But I am the kind of person who will use imported Prestarter and starter. Then, might consider good locally made after. I think many people give breedwell a pass.

No one knows if you were cheated or not because there was no yardstick to measure. Get a scale for your birds next time. No one needs to tell you if they are doing well or not if you monitor their progress. This way, you will know if the feed is good or not. Also, measure the temperature and humidity of your pen house daily.

My opinion is that you can get good price if you grow above 2kg. If possible, 2.5kg - 3kg. Just an advice for you based on my resesrch. I don't know the Nigerian names of these breeds (I guess it's the name of the companies producing them guys use on nairaland), but go for a tall breed. I realise that if you push it to anything 2.5kg and the comb are fully developed, you will get a very good deal. My friend told me, and when I interviewed those market wonen, they just love such birds. Market always guide me to know what to produce, and how to produce..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by babybos(m): 10:46pm On Sep 11, 2019
Please add 08033976959 to whatsapp group, link not opening, thanks

1 Like

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 5:38am On Sep 12, 2019
Pistotita:

Really, I don't know much about available brands at this moment, but I have read that breed well isn't bad. But I am the kind of person who will use imported Prestarter and starter. Then, might consider good locally made after. I think many people give breedwell a pass.

No one knows if you were cheated or not because there was no yardstick to measure. Get a scale for your birds next time. No one needs to tell you if they are doing well or not if you monitor their progress. This way, you will know if the feed is good or not. Also, measure the temperature and humidity of your pen house daily.

My opinion is that you can get good price if you grow above 2kg. If possible, 2.5kg - 3kg. Just an advice for you based on my resesrch. I don't know the Nigerian names of these breeds (I guess it's the name of the companies producing them guys use on nairaland), but go for a tall breed. I realise that if you push it to anything 2.5kg and the comb are fully developed, you will get a very good deal. My friend told me, and when I interviewed those market wonen, they just love such birds. Market always guide me to know what to produce, and how to produce..

thanks so much sir..
I'll like to know where you base Sir and if possible can contact you sir.
do u know much about organic poultry farming?
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 6:14am On Sep 12, 2019
aysnoopy:

thanks so much sir..
I'll like to know where you base Sir and if possible can contact you sir.
do u know much about organic poultry farming?

I am pro organic. Infact, I soround myself more with excellent organic farmers these days. Trying to eradicate chemical farmers everywhere around me. I did not believe in chicken business, but I met someone recently who encouraged me to look into it again. I did, and I realised broiler is a good one. I am still studying layers. And I am working on special breeds which are good for free ranging. Though, vegetable is still king.

I have an associate who is in charge of this aspect of my business. If he accepts you, I will hook you up with him, and see to what you need, or what you can bring to the table.

But I feel you are not doing bad. You made it to 3 weeks. The challenge is not losing your confidence. I have worked with people who have lost their confidence, and it's really hard. The good news is that I am a patient person, but they always guard the comfort zone they have carved for themselves with everything in them. I always allow them come out willingly at their pace, on their terms gradually. They need a "first push", which I always try. But if they start resisting it, I always leave them. But trust me, they always return. And it's just that barrier which is "fear" that must be broken. You can imagine the state of mind of someone who lost 100 million naira in a business. How can such start life again? Where will such start all over again? To start any business again for them is hard. Fear grips such firmly.

But you did not lose. The kind of fear in you is still that you don't want to lose your money. You cannot lose it if you do the right thing. Even you visit anyone, you need to return to your pen and work it out.

Solutions:
1. Correct your pen as advised my Emmachile.

2. Your target is 6 - 7 weeks. If you notice good guys target this period. And your aim is 2.5 - 3kg. You birds should weigh 3kg and above more at 7weeks. My pilot is to hit 3.5 - 3.8kg in accordance with the specification of the company which breeds what I am growing.

3. Search for optimum condition for these birds, and create it in your pen.

Even you contact me, these are what I am going to tell you. This are what every successful farmer does too. The only issue is that most farmers don't know these conditions, and they do guess work. I am the kind of farmer who always abide by rules laid down by the main company, or researchers. This is the time you return to your books and look for optimum conditions for your birds. And start thinking of how to create them for your birds.

God bless!

3 Likes

Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by aysnoopy(m): 6:18am On Sep 12, 2019
Pistotita:

I am pro organic. Infact, I soround myself more with excellent organic farmers these days. Trying to eradicate chemical farmers everywhere around me. I did not believe in chicken business, but I met someone recently who encouraged me to look into it again. I did, and I realised broiler is a good one. I am still studying layers. And I am working on special breeds which are good for free ranging. Though, vegetable is still king.

I have an associate who is in charge of this aspect of my business. If he accepts you, I will hook you up with him, and see to what you need, or what you can bring to the table.

But I feel you are not doing bad. You made it to 3 weeks. The challenge is not losing your confidence. I have worked with people who have lost their confidence, and it's really hard. The good news is that I am a patient person, but they always guard the comfort zone they have carved for themselves with everything in them. I always allow them come out willingly at their pace, on their terms gradually. They need a "first push", which I always try. But if they start resisting it, I always leave them. But trust me, they always return. And it's just that barrier which is "fear" that must be broken. You can imagine the state of mind of someone who lost 100 million naira in a business. How can such start life again? Where will such start all over again? To start any business again for them is hard. Fear grips such firmly.

But you did not lose. The kind of fear in you is still that you don't want to lose your money. You cannot lose it if you do the right thing. Even you visit anyone, you need to return to your pen and work it out.

Solutions:
1. Correct your pen as advised my Emmachile.

2. Your target is 6 - 7 weeks. If you notice good guys target this period. And your aim is 2.5 - 3kg. You birds should weigh 3kg and above more at 7weeks. My pilot is to hit 3.5 - 3.8kg in accordance with the specification of the company which breeds what I am growing.

3. Search for optimum condition for these birds, and create it in your pen.

Even you contact me, these are what I am going to tell you. This are what every successful farmer does too. The only issue is that most farmers don't know these conditions, and they do guess work. I am the kind of farmer who always abide by rules laid down by the main company, or researchers. This is the time you return to your books and look for optimum conditions for your birds. And start thinking of how to create them for your birds.

God bless!

thanks so much sir.
I'm trying to learn d organic way but I don't know how to do it and also d mixing ratio to serve the birds. I don't know if you can put me through that.
I wanna go organic Coz someone told me Jr's really working well for her
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 12, 2019
aysnoopy:

thanks so much sir.
I'm trying to learn d organic way but I don't know how to do it and also d mixing ratio to serve the birds. I don't know if you can put me through that.
I wanna go organic Coz someone told me Jr's really working well for her

With the scale of production you are on presently, using organic products is not an issue. You will make It easily with organic. But swapping to organic is not the solution for you at this time. I encourage you to swap to organic. Infact, I want you to. But I am going to repeat it the last time:

1. Get your pen fixed.
2. Get a scale to measure your birds progress.
3. Get instruments to measure the condition of your pen.

After doing these three, get in touch with me. And I will personally make sure my associate work hand in hand with you from the beginning to the end of your journey. I will provide the list of organic ingredients that have been tested. You can even come on nairaland and display pictures as much you want. I want to help to do it accurately, and not do any guess work. I have brilliant minds all around me, and I can easily pick anyone.

I assure you that you will see drastic change.
Re: My Journey In Brooding 125 Broilers As A First Timer by Pastorg01(m): 8:34am On Sep 12, 2019
Generalj007:

If you don't mind bro, I have a whatapp group of poultry farmers, sharing your experience so far will help inspire someone. To join the whatsapp group drop your number and I will add you up.
Add me too please. 08147987016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soybean Plantation Setup: Critical Things To Consider / Where To Get Snail Stock / ORDER YOUR AGRO Processing Machines(LOCALLY FABRICATED) In Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.