Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,879 members, 7,828,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Ivie (coral Beads) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ivie (coral Beads) (650 Views)

Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Celebrates Ugie Ivie Festival In Palace (photos) / Oba Of Benin Rolls Out Time Table For "Ugie Ivie Festival" Beads Of Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ivie (coral Beads) by austyne22ex(m): 10:04am On Aug 23, 2019
We Edo people place a very strong value on coral beads than Gold, it's the same reason we name our precious daughter "Ivie". And the type of coral beads we use are different from those used by people from other region. The type we use is called "Ivie". Oba Akenzua and the reigning Oba Ewuare II had their entire outfit made of coral beads. A material (very similar to mesh) made of beads is worn under the outfit. Ivie when polished can turn out red, rose, or pink; depending on your colour of choice.

Oba Ewuare instituted coral beads into the Edo tradition in 1400 A.D upon getting it from the sea goddess at Ughoton, a gateway to Europe in the times of my ancestors from where they traveled to and fro Lisbon and traded with the Portuguese. Bini craftsmen became experts at carving coral beads. Ivie was strictly for royalty, until it was reviewed and allowed to become an identity of all Edo people. Ergo, Edo brides are dressed in a coral bead crown. Please note that the Bini bride is a queen who must have her crown (beaded coral crown called Okuku) on during her marriage ceremony. The Ivie are either sewn directly onto her hair or she wears it as a wig.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Crab Mentality ; Crab Pull Crab Down. / Not Trolling I Hate My Big African Nose?> / Brief History Of Oye Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.