Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight (2469 Views)

Missing AirAsia Plane: 162 People (Including 17 Children) On Board / Arik Makes Emergency Landing As Woman Delivers On-board / Dana Air Denies Paying Celebrities To Board Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by cecegorz(m): 4:47pm On Oct 23, 2010
Have you ever experienced  pain in the ear (medically called 'Ear planes' ) during flight?

Please share your experience(s); remedies, precautions et al
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by biolabee(m): 8:57pm On Oct 23, 2010
http://www.dreddyclinic.com/findinformation/aa/airplane_ear/airplane_ear_1.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/airplane-ear/DS00472/DSECTION=risk%2Dfactors

Usually its linked to cold and blocked sinuses
For me i take a nasal drop about two hours before the flight in addition to actifed the previous night.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by oncolor: 5:10pm On Oct 24, 2010
I used to have serious ear pain whenever the plane is making its descent until I found a simple remedy that eliminated all the pain. All you need to do is hold your nose with your hand blocking the nostrils and blow air just as you would when blowing your nose, this would force air through your ears freeing up the air passages. Make sure you do this before the plane starts its descent or anytime during the flight you feel the pain.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by MzFrugal: 5:17pm On Oct 24, 2010
Sucking on a sweet too helps, hence reason some airline's crew member goes round handing out sweets whilst the signs for "put on seatbelt, prepare to land" sign comes on.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by cecegorz(m): 10:23am On Oct 25, 2010
Thanks for your replies guys,

I packed sweets and gums on my trip over the weekend, and also armed with the closed nose blowing skills. During the first leg, a combination of all the tricks kept the pain to the barest minimum, i was so happy that i've found a killer punch.

Then on my return trip, all hell let loose as all my combinations refused to work. my ears were so heavy and painful that by the time the host wanted to evacuate my left over lunch items, i just couldn't hear him.
I was just praying for the plane to land so i can rush down, had to take panadol b4 bed-time to ease the pain. Now everything has returned to normal but that experience is always terrible.

I even decided to buy ear plugs at the terminal building shops before the first leg but surprisingly, they don't have ( thought such items should be first on their counters). I even went to the Port health office and they couldn't give a helping hand! not even a single decongestant tablet from them.

Now that my new job requires constant travels, what do i do guys?
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by etauso(m): 7:01am On Oct 27, 2010
I experience the ear pain each time the plain is landing. I have found a solution to it by playing music on my ipod on full blast during this period and it helps.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by cecegorz(m): 11:36am On Oct 27, 2010
Hmnnn, i feel you, man.
May be i'll try this too, just got it stuck on replay.

But technically, on landing, the air pressure is higher outside the ear and lower inside, meaning the ear drum is being pushed inside, i wonder when you add a blasting ear phone to that how it works out.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by biolabee(m): 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2010
try the soln i said earlier and see if it works
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by tunde300us(m): 7:41am On Oct 28, 2010
Hi guys,
What abt the feeling as if my heart wants to jump out of my chest when the plane goes gliding as if its falling into a pit and then suddenly it rises again.That one is really killing oh,and for that i dont take planes for local flight again.

Any1 with some suggestions on how to help here
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by cecegorz(m): 8:52am On Oct 28, 2010
biolabee:

try the soln i said earlier and see if it works

Hey Biola,
My company doc. actually adviced against taking drugs, though he didn't mention drops. he has promised to see if he can get me Ear Plugs which will be much prefered.

tunde300us:

Hi guys,
What abt the feeling as if my heart wants to jump out of my chest when the plane goes gliding as if its falling into a pit and then suddenly it rises again.That one is really killing oh,and for that i dont take planes for local flight again.

Any1 with some suggestions on how to help here
grin  grin  grin  grin LOL

Brov. I think yours' is more of your inner fears about flying/landing than a medical condition. The kinda feeling you have  when you're speeding on a straight road that has a dip(undulating surface) in the middle.
Just steady your nerves and know that 'nothing dey happin'  wink  wink  wink

1 Like

Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by biolabee(m): 11:14am On Oct 30, 2010
ok no probs, try the ear plugs and let see how it does

this was recommended via online med sites and a doctor too, but thats life grin grin grin grin grin

bros tunde i think its just fear
what i do is sleep or close my eyes before take off
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by tunde300us(m): 12:06am On Oct 31, 2010
U guys re probably rite but how can one deal with it cos flights take minimun 45mins upward.Any suggestions please?
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by omega25red(m): 1:53am On Oct 31, 2010
my experience is that i feel pressure in my ears when taking off and sometimes when landing which is caused by the pressurisation of the planes cabin. since i have flown a lot i have learned how to equalize the pressure by holding my breath and pushing air out of my ears. 99% of the time it pops the pressure. and the other 1% of time i just wait patiently for the plane to fully pressurize which ultimately releases the ear pressure.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by cecegorz(m): 1:15pm On Nov 08, 2010
tunde300us:

U guys re probably rite but how can one deal with it cos flights take minimun 45mins upward.Any suggestions please?

Tunde, i saw this fear remedy and decided to share with you, maybe you'll try it and tell us how it goes. sorry for the too long URL, just copy and paste on ur browser.

http://www.google.com.ng/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp..com/_tx_OOq5fu-8/SpxLOkceADI/AAAAAAAAHe8/trSQNvmkM3c/s320/POST%2B3.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.travelshackblog.com/2009/08/ear-plugs-for-flying.html&usg=__uH8heC04KtfaFtRe4DYplos_Ex4=&h=320&w=320&sz=6&hl=en&start=5&zoom=1&tbnid=aX9k-u8qlEt35M:&tbnh=118&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dear%2Bplugs%2Bfor%2Bflying%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by tunde300us(m): 10:21pm On Nov 08, 2010
There is nothing about fear in that URL sir,its all for those who have issues with pressure changes in the plane,mine is more of flight phobia cos i get something close to a heart attack when the plane slides down and then suddenly jerks up again.
Even in buses sometimes when navigating an undulating road i get the same feeling (ie U like movement)
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by cecegorz(m): 8:24am On Nov 09, 2010
^^^
Bros, allow the page to load fully, scroll down to about middle of the page, and you will see 'things you might also like' there's a small yellow pack titled 'HELP WITH FEAR OF FLYING' click on it and check it out.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by tunde300us(m): 5:33pm On Nov 09, 2010
Thanks i will check
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by cecegorz(m): 2:48pm On Nov 11, 2010
YIPEEE!!!

I arrived Kano today, and for the first time, ear-pain free!
Thanks to the Ear plugs i finally bought from ENT hospital @ Ogunlana drive.

I really enjoyed the smooth journey, even flying IRS for the first time, i was impressed with their chips/eggs/kidney fingers meal with a small pack of juice.
Unlike my beloved ARIK with their lousy puff puff and shared juice in a small plastic cup.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by etauso(m): 3:40pm On Nov 11, 2010
Nice you came back here to inform us.

Happy 4 u.

Viola.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by bankylan: 5:33pm On Dec 03, 2010
Omg! I never knew this is a common thing, It happened to me sometimes ago and I was a bit scared. It has only happened to me twice, and I never bothered to ask from people.
Re: Pain In The Ear While On Board Flight by halfcurrent(m): 8:25am On Dec 04, 2010
the is a fantastic post and very useful to me. i always have this ear pain each time the plain is descending, but then i have never had explanation for that. infact i used to think its peculiar to me alone and may be a non issue to any one else; such that each time i want to fly, i keep thinking of the pain i will go through when descending. thanks to all the contributors here. at least my fear has been allayed, and at i can try out any of the suggested solutions.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help- Denied Visa / Cape Town Beautiful Pictures / Yorubas Are The Highest Ethnic Group In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.