Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,082 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

How To Get An Internship Placement In A Major Company Without Knowing Anybody - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Get An Internship Placement In A Major Company Without Knowing Anybody (407 Views)

Coping After A Major Setback / My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This / Need Internship Placement? Sanofi Launches Internship Scheme For Fresh Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get An Internship Placement In A Major Company Without Knowing Anybody by jukekeocha: 8:45pm On Aug 23, 2019
For many others, they are yet to get IT placements and for some, they may have started at a roadside shop while waiting for "God to pick their call"... Or better still, while waiting for an offer from the many major companies they've applied to online or physically.

I've interacted with many of them and yeah... They'll be quick to say that they don't know anybody in those companies and are only hoping on God for a miracle.

Unfortunately, the sad reality in Nigeria is that to even get an internship placement in a major company, you have a know a senior staff there.

A company like Total E&P (they actually conduct a very fair screening process but they are very selective) would require you get your application endorsed by a senior staff before you're even considered to be invited for the screening test.

So then... What's the solution?

What should someone do if he doesn't know anyone working in any company?

The answer lies in a platform many of us are well aware of... LinkedIn...

Unfortunately, many don't know how to use it to achieve their goals...
Unfortunately, I've seen people just go to LinkedIn, go to the comment section of someone's post or maybe to their own wall and write something like...

Hey, I'm XYZ, an undergraduate EEE student of FUTO and I'm currently looking for an IT placement in any engineering firm Please, help me and I will be grateful. I have a lot of problems with this method and while it may work for someone, it actually pisses many persons off. But that will be the topic for another day.

1. Identify the companies you would like to intern with

One of the first things you should do as a 400L student still looking for IT placement... You need to identify companies you'd want to work with.

You can enquire from your friends in higher levels or graduates to know where they did theirs and get ideas on places you can look out for.

You may want to focus on a particular industry or just be general... That's your choice.

2. Behind up your LinkedIn profile
Just in case you don't have a LinkedIn profile, you can create one easily.
Draft a very concise and catchy summary. That's the first step to selling yourself on LinkedIn

It's unfortunate when people use something like
Student at FUTO
as their profile summary...

Next, include tasks or positions you've held as your experience.
This will help you present yourself as someone with good leadership qualities. Add your educational history... You can include your current class of degree if it's good.
I've also seen people include some major courses they've done there.

You can add awards you've previously got, certificates and certifications you've obtained, online courses you've taken, etc. Just add anything you feel can help to sell you better.

Learnclax post on HOW TO GET AN INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT IN A MAJOR COMPANY WITHOUT KNOWING ANYBODY explains it all check it out for 5 other tips

(1) (Reply)

How NITDA Is Helping Corpers To Develop ICT Skills At No Cost / How Geek Squad Tech Support Work? / I Beat Him For The Second Time, He Should Take A Break From Boxing - Andy Ruiz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.