Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,541 members, 7,837,078 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage? (964 Views)

Groom Dies In Strange Auto Crash On Way To Marriage Introduction / Pregnancy..........a Good Reason For Marriage? / Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage? by omonua85: 1:30am On Oct 24, 2010
In recent times, I hav noticed a growing rate of preganant brides and in some cases preganant "Hoping to be brides". I asked myself, Is getting pregnant a ticket to the alter? or is it a gurantee/evidence of love? I don't get it. Morals are crashing so bad, that it is becoming a norm to be preganant before u are marreid. When i threw up this argument amongst a few peeps some said.

It's a confirmation of the woman's fertility.

Some parents make it a prerequisite to marrying thier son.

It;s becoming hard to get preganant while married , becos one step mother of woman from the villlage will make sure u don't get pregnant.
And a whole lot more of excuses.

Isn't love meant to be the only bedrock of marrieges? Should'nt kids be a product of a marriage? Don't girls see themselves loosing thier value by yielding? Is a child the reason we are getting married? Do some women really enjoy been taking advantage of? Judjing by one's past, i hear some women need to get pregannat. but isn't that a confirmation that he isn't comfortable with your past and so shld not marry him? some girls also out of desperation to be married wld do anything, just anything.

I hope to be a father one day, and if I am blessed with a daughter. I wld not be comfortable with her getting preganat and consequences of her action wld follow.

Or What do u think could be resposible? and how can it be curbed, if u of course don't bliv in getting preganant b4 marriage.
Re: Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage? by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 24, 2010
Like you said, morals are crashing! People no longer see anything wrong with fronting a pregnancy while wearing a 'white' wedding gown down the asile!

I blame it on the society we live in. Looking at it from various perspective, this is what I think . .

1. Men no longer want to take chances! Love is completely out of the question. Living an irresponsible lifestyle before marriage can expose a man to the life of an equally irresponsible young girl. From contant intake of damaging birth control pills to countless abortions. The man won't want to marry a girl and find out she lived such life as a youth. Taking hr word for it is again out of the question. What better way to confirm

2. Just imagine if you only son decides to marry a girl who can't get pregnant. The thought of dying without the possibility of continuing your lineage! What parent won't want a confrimation that their would be daughter in law is equal to the task? What better way to confirm

3. Some ladies see getting pregnant as the only way to make their BFs make an honest woman out of them. It's sad but sometimes it's true!

4. Looking at it from the moral perspective . . .getting pregnant is not the evile, having pre marital sex is! Having an abortion to avoid the shame is even worse. So if one 'mistakenly' gets pregnant, what do you think is the 'moral' thing to do

5. Now talking about love, our children are our biggest legacies! Before a man or woman can ignore that, be or she should be able to make that choice . . . . before marriage! ''Yes I love you and instead of living without you, I'll rather die without having my own children'' . . . That settles it!! But marring a man or woman and finding out he or she is sterile has a way of playing tricks on love and I'm just being realistic here!

Dont get me wrong, I dont subscribe to the idea of getting pregnant without marrige but I dont judge people who do!
Re: Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage? by omonua85: 11:55pm On Nov 01, 2010
@ Ujujoan: U said u blame it on the society, are we not the ppl that make it up. is it not humans like u and i that constitute the society. I thank u for your post and u make sense. IT is not like i judge them either, i am just looking at where all these is heading us to. Are we appraoching a time of moral anarchy.

We are all to blame. I think sex before marriage has crippled the marriage institution, alot of messy things are going around. Maybe STD's are nature's way of controlling indiscimrinate sex, it's sad. But m wprry is that there are a 1001 ways science has helped with not getting preganant and ppl know it, why not take that option if u must do it. My heart goes out to the kids who suffer for the unpreparedness of thier parents for thier arrival which leaves them to struggle . leave the child to faith and hope he survives somehow.

I really cant think of a way out of this socieetal mess. I cld be wrong but i feel a society can never be holier than it's women, and when i look at the arab world where things like these are not a major issue. I admire thier moral ethics though i get some comma's oooo. But i wld not like to hav children and they come around to telll me they are preganat or impreganted someone, wld'nt be glad at all.maybe it's a sign that the world is coming to an end.

(1) (Reply)

Mom Jailed For Enrolling Kids In Wrong School District (us) / New Incest Case Shocks Austrians / I Would Soon Become A Father, Experience Advice Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.