Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Have Android Updates Become Useless? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Have Android Updates Become Useless? (19808 Views)

Samsung Has Raised The Bar For Android Updates / The New Gcam 7.4 For All Android Phone: You Can't Have Android & Not Using Gcam / 5 Reasons Why You Should Never Skip Android Updates On Your Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have Android Updates Become Useless? by TechCapon(m): 4:29am On Aug 26, 2019
TechCapon

There used to be a time when android updates are so relevant that everyone is waiting for the next big update from Google, NOT ANYMORE! Nowadays most people see Android updates as a mere waste of data because it doesn’t add any major or important feature to the existing ones. They have become irrelevant to the majority of Android users and the craze of staying “updated” is no longer there anymore. These days, there’s really nothing I’m missing if I decide to use Android Oreo instead of upgrading to Pie.

In the last two or three years, things have really cooled off for most people and updating their apps or Operating System have become a waste of time. Now Google has announced that the next OS will be called Android Q instead of Android Q or whatever and no one seems to be even interested. In my own opinion, I think Android has reached its peak and the time is ripe for a new Operating System to be launched that will come with a whole new stack of the exciting feature. I can’t wait for the Huawei’s Harmony OS to see what it has in store.

Smartphone manufacturers are the ones trying to spice up their devices by launching custom Skins and ROMs in order to make up for setback from Android itself. Software innovation has really declined badly recently and the upgrades we see these days in Android Pie has already been existing long before now. For example, Dark Mode for Android has already been launched in older devices like the LG G4 long before it came to Android Pie. Digital wellbeing from Google is not exactly new as there are lots of apps on PlayStore that does the exact same thing so what’s the update all about?

Nowadays it really doesn’t matter if you’re running on Nougat, Oreo or Pie. Truth is you’re not missing anything important! I know some may argue that software updates ensure security. The fact is no matter what you do, you can never be 100% secure as far as digital safety is concerned. There’s always a loophole for wrongdoers to exploit and gain access to your most sensitive information. As for me, I have stopped caring about Android updates a long time ago

and I’m not sure the release of the new Android 10 update will change that.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/have-android-updates-become-useless/

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by ELgordo(m): 4:40am On Aug 26, 2019
Ovoko

9 Likes

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Emceesaka: 4:40am On Aug 26, 2019
Thank God first to comment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by hamid6249: 4:40am On Aug 26, 2019
My love for android wont make me overlook or disagree with you , you are 100% right

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Emceesaka: 4:41am On Aug 26, 2019
This two guys above me, una no dey sleep ni?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Sicilyjoe: 4:41am On Aug 26, 2019
Emceesaka:
Thank God first to comment

Try again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by GodisGreat4vr: 4:41am On Aug 26, 2019
Okay let's hope for a better is...
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by princemillla(m): 4:42am On Aug 26, 2019
We told them Android is getting out of fashion they said it won’t happen. This post justify that already

7 Likes

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Nobody: 4:42am On Aug 26, 2019
True!

I used over 1.4gb to update my phone last week and I was expecting some new features after the update.

Walahi.. nothing changed! The only thing that changed was my DATA balance.

I've another update hanging already and olorun mo wipe mi o update any shii

126 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Josnac(m): 4:43am On Aug 26, 2019
Exactly my thoughts on these updates..I'm like, should I really care??
Except the Lord keeps the city, the watchmen, they watch in vain.

No matter the security updates released, the bad ones will still find some loopholes through it, the safest is to pray not to be remembered.

This is life, if you like build your fence as high as a story building, when criminals remember you, you'll marvel at human ingenuity and survivalist tendencies.

Why waste data on updates, when I can use it to follow up on a nice Hollywood series at my spare time

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Soljaboi44(m): 4:44am On Aug 26, 2019
Thus early mor-mor
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Nobody: 4:44am On Aug 26, 2019
I don't think so.

1 Like

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Jh0wsef(m): 4:45am On Aug 26, 2019
Maybe the updates are useless. But the phone isn't

I earn with my smartphone making designs smiley. you too can earn!
Be creative

Join the creative designs Online Masterclass today and learn how to smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/5357126/want-earn-10-15k-weekly-designing
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by kaymart: 4:47am On Aug 26, 2019
Spacebookers.com
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Ed12(m): 4:50am On Aug 26, 2019
That is what happen when you choke someone with things...in the end they get tired of it...

9 Likes

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by vicfajeze: 4:50am On Aug 26, 2019
Q KO Q NI
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by stanley000: 4:50am On Aug 26, 2019
That's how xiaomi sent me updates for Android 8, immediately I updated that was the end of the device. The phone became automatically useless, takes more than 3hours to boot up, another 2hours to show homepage. Even the owner of Android knows it's shitty, u can use an iPhone for 3years without issues but any Android phone that gets u through 6months u are lucky to have that

10 Likes

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by sofiscatedmoron: 4:53am On Aug 26, 2019
phone update has been of no use since day 1,
unless you want to install an error package into your phones,
its manufacturers way of telling you to go amd buy a new phone by releasing software that will damage your phone, and once you install those updates no going back or downgrading, so its better to stick with tje default os that came with yout device,

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by stan4b(m): 4:54am On Aug 26, 2019
U guys dont sleep ni. Internet Warriors.
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by docadams: 4:55am On Aug 26, 2019
Techcapon, I thank my conservativeness I'm not tech savvy. I use all phones basically like my beloved Nokia 3310 -with added basic routines there and there. I never knew anything labout updates. What you knoweth not wont kill you
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by Nobody: 4:57am On Aug 26, 2019
You don't want to miss the Android 10(Q) update. Introducing native desktop mode on external displays and gesture control.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by texazzpete(m): 4:57am On Aug 26, 2019
Android updates constantly add new features. Not all are major, but even the ones with few headline features tend to add performance updates etc.

The dark mode example the OP gives is misleading, since a dark mode theme on older phones is nothing compared to a complete system wide dark mode, complete with battery saving schemes and useful templates for app developers to follow.

Most naija users don’t even get updates anyway. The likes of Techno et al rarely provide major version updates.

19 Likes

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by fistonati(m): 4:59am On Aug 26, 2019
When am still using my ever trusted and rugged Gionee M5 android 5.1. Though I choose not to use the option to update the OS because even normal phone apps I don't update them until maybe when it stops opening and even instead to update I delete and download afresh as updating sometimes expose you to this bad guys out there waiting to prey their algorithms on you when updating.
stanley000:
That's how xiaomi sent me updates for Android 8, immediately I updated that was the end of the device. The phone became automatically useless, takes more than 3hours to boot up, another 2hours to show homepage. Even the owner of Android knows it's shitty, u can use an iPhone for 3years without issues but any Android phone that gets u through 6months u are lucky to have that
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by fistonati(m): 5:00am On Aug 26, 2019
When am still using my ever trusted and rugged Gionee M5 android 5.1 with its 6000Miliamph battery. Though I choose not to use the option to update the OS because even normal phone apps I don't update them until maybe when it stops opening and even instead to update I delete and download afresh as updating sometimes expose you to this bad guys out there waiting to prey their algorithms on you when updating.
stanley000:
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by manontree: 5:02am On Aug 26, 2019
The updates made it impossible to record calls on apps. Also made dp pictures impossible to share and so many other no progressive features. They are going backward rather than forward with these new updates

4 Likes

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by TechCapon(m): 5:03am On Aug 26, 2019
texazzpete:
Android updates constantly add new features. Not all are major, but even the ones with few headline features tend to add performance updates etc.

The dark mode example the OP gives is misleading, since a dark mode theme on older phones is nothing compared to a complete system wide dark mode, complete with battery saving schemes and useful templates for app developers to follow.

Most naija users don’t even get updates anyway. The likes of Techno et al rarely provide major version updates.
system wide dark mode has been in existence for a long time now especially in LG phones.

1 Like

Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by TechCapon(m): 5:06am On Aug 26, 2019
docadams:
Techcapon, I thank my conservativeness I'm not tech savvy. I use all phones basically like my beloved Nokia 3310 -with added basic routines there and there. I never knew anything labout updates. What you knoweth not wont kill you
lol
Re: Have Android Updates Become Useless? by DesChyko: 5:07am On Aug 26, 2019
I think it's Android 10 instead of Android Q.
The only reason for which I will update my device is if it becomes buggy.
Otherwise, the new features and placement may make it slower to use my device as some things would be out of place. It's even worse of a feature you enjoy is removed because of security reasons.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need Etisalat's 100mb Code! / NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ / Samsung-Galaxy Note 10.1 Now In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.