Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,309 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

IPAC Chairman Assembles 20 Lawyers To Answer Police Invitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IPAC Chairman Assembles 20 Lawyers To Answer Police Invitation (216 Views)

Fashola: Chike Ibezim Is In Our Custody, He Has A Case To Answer - Police / Name & Arrest Those Plotting An Interim Govt - Yabagi Sani, IPAC Chairman To DSS / 20 Lawyers To Defend Abba Kyari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

IPAC Chairman Assembles 20 Lawyers To Answer Police Invitation by nairapark: 12:36pm On Aug 26, 2019
The Chairman of Inter-Party Advisory Council, Chief Peter Ameh, on Sunday said he had assembled over 20 lawyers to accompany him to answer his invitation by the police.
He alleged plans by some members to use security agencies to arrest him on Monday.

The IPAC chairman was reacting to the invitation by the Monitoring Unit of Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu.

But the police said they invited Ameh, who heads a coalition of 91 political parties, for an interview over a petition filed against him by aggrieved members.

Speaking with journalists in Abuja on Sunday, Ameh said, “Till now, the police have not invited the petitioners. IPAC election is coming up on Tuesday. I have been invited by the police for what they described as interview. For me, it is because of politics since I am seeking re-election. The petitioners want to use police to scuttle the election and even detain me for me not to be available for the election. But I know I will be exonerated because my hands are clean. God will fight my battle because my hands are clean.

“You can imagine this! One of the petitioners is Abdullahi Sokoto while the name of the investigation police officer is Aminu Sokoto. I have assembled a team of over 20 lawyers to go with me to answer the police. My first encounter with men of the Nigeria Police was on September 5, 2018 and that was their first attempt to arrest me without any prior notification and it was no other day than the day of the IPAC election which was already in progress at the Hall of INEC Electoral Institute for which I was chairmanship contestant.

“But I declined and requested for a formal invitation and was later notified via a text message. I cannot say the IPAC national election coming up on Tuesday August 27 is unconnected with the invitation of the police that has just started again.”

He wondered why he was being invited by the police over a petition that had been disowned by one of the petitioners and National Chairman of Independent Democrats, Chief Edozie Madu.

The text of invitation delivered to him on Friday to appear before the police was sent by Adamu Abdullahi, a commissioner of police in charge of the IGP monitoring unit.

It reads, “Good morning, Sir. This is to inform you that the ongoing investigation into a case of criminal conspiracy and criminal misappropriation reported to the Inspector-General of Police by some IPAC members against some past leaders of IPAC is still on.

“Thus, an interview is hereby scheduled on Monday August 26, 2019 by 11am at the IGP monitoring unit, Force Headquarters in Abuja. You are expected to appear in person, please.”

When contacted, Abdullahi confirmed to The PUNCH that the invitation came on the orders of the IGP.

He said, “Yes, I am aware of the invitation of the IPAC chairman; there was a petition against him and he is aware. He even came, we had an interview and they requested for two weeks and will revert. But it is now three weeks and they did not come, that was why we invited them to know the development so far, based on their request.”

https://www.nairapark.com/news/1566815348/ipac-chairman-assembles-lawyers-answer-police-invitation

(1) (Reply)

Odsg: "Kamomi Aketi" Solution For Portable Water Supply / Before FBI, Nigeria's Anti Graft Agency,efcc Has Shown Cyber Criminals Hell / #xenophobia: Atiku Blows Hot, Reveals What Should Be Done To South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.