Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,370 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

How Nigerian Journalist Wrote Award-winning Stories With Bad Phone - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Nigerian Journalist Wrote Award-winning Stories With Bad Phone (184 Views)

ASUU Strike: How Nigerian Universities Voted / NUJ Code Of Conduct/ Ethics - Constitution Of Nigerian Journalist / See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Nigerian Journalist Wrote Award-winning Stories With Bad Phone by ADESOLA96(m): 3:33pm On Aug 26, 2019
With my poor phone, I turned-in award-winning stories- Ikulajolu, campus journalist

Master Adesola Ikulajolu is a 300 level student of the Department of Mass Communication at the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko (AAUA). In this interview with Education News, the Campus Journalist speaks on his passion for journalism and how he combines journalism with his studies among the other sundry issues.

Excerpts:

Can we meet you?

I’m Ikulajolu Adesola Festus

Can you tell us your background?

I hail from Ilaje Local Government area of Ondo State. I had my primary school education at St. Judes Primary School in Atijere before I later moved to Biso Craddle school in Akure, and later graduated from Life Nursery and Primary School in Ile-Ife, Osun State.

I later went to Ijapo High School, Akure later to Distinct Medal College in Lagos before moving to Assfod International College where I graduated. All these were due to relocation of my parents from one area to the other.

I grew up with so much trainings that never gave me the opportunity to waste any of my time. I started taking up responsibilities while I was a little boy.

As a campus journalist, how does that journey begin?

My journey began a long time ago while I was in secondary school. I love reading newspapers back then because I stayed glued reading Punch newspaper. My uncle would also buy newspaper everytime, so I ended up falling in love with the cartoons, but later loved the stories and articles. I used to be a very good writer in my secondary school because all essays and competitions will surely involve me. My juniors will always bring essays to me to write for them or edit.

Later on, while I got admitted into Abraham Adesanya Polytechnic, Ijebu-Igbo, my friends and I had to start a reporting group in the Mass Communication Department. We had no resources or equipment, but we never stopped, we wrote with pen and pasted on all notice boards round the school.

As at that time, my interest in journalism had grown beyond control, no information would pass me. At a point, I became the source of any information, because everyone wanted to confirm from me before believing it.

My lecturers, Mr. Aro Adebisi and Emmanuel Osideko made it compulsory that all Mass Communication students should start publishing “Letters to the Editor”. As much as I write and edit for others, my letters never got published. Some of my friends had about three bylines already while I had none. We were the first set of Mass Communication students in the school, so everyday, about five of our students will have their letters published. The idea was bringing fame to the school, even the Rector was appreciating it.

What raised my curiosity and love was that for every letter written, attention was always given to that subject matter. From then, I saw Journalism as a profession that serves as mouthpiece to the voiceless.

My first Letter to the editor got published on January 5, 2015, it focused on the Centenary celebration and why the government should attend to other burning issues.

At this point, I had loved journalism so much. I started seeking ways to improve myself. I learnt on the job. One of my worst period was when..

Read More:[i][/i]

https://www.thehopenewspaper.com/i-turned-in-award-winning-stories-ikulajolu-campus-journalist/

https://oloyenaija..com/2019/08/interview-i-was-once-sent-out-of-press.html

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

NIMASA World Maritime Day Essay Competition 2019 / Breaking: Nigeria Pulls Out Of World Economic Forum In South Africa / Tired Of Admission Disappointment ? Get 100l| Direct 200l Admission Without Jamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.