Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,735 members, 7,844,426 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Serena, Sharapova Showdown Electrifies US Open - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena, Sharapova Showdown Electrifies US Open (208 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Serena, Sharapova Showdown Electrifies US Open by innerkonsult1: 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2019
Serena Williams faces Maria Sharapova in a blockbuster first-round match Monday at the US Open, the feature showdown on the first day of the year’s final Grand Slam tennis event. Eighth-ranked Williams, who lost to Naomi Osaka in last year’s US Open final and to Simona Halep in last month’s Wimbledon final, is seeking her 24th career Grand Slam singles title to match Margaret Court’s all-time record. The 37-year-old American owns a 19-2 record against Russia’s 87th-ranked Sharapova and has beaten her 18 consecutive times dating to 2005. That lopsided rivalry, however, has not prevented the matchup from being the talk of the tournament since Thursday’s draw announcement. “Of course I’m going to watch it,” Osaka said. “I think everyone in New York is going to watch it.” Williams owns a 3-1 record over Sharapova in Grand Slam matchups, having lost their first such meeting in 2004 at Wimbledon, but this will mark the first time they have met in a US Open. “Someone texted me about it,” US 10th seed Madison Keys recalled. “I think I was shopping, had no idea the draw was actually happening. So it was like, ‘Oh my God. Look at this first round.’”

Source: Punch

Contact InnerKonsult for Professional Services on Tax, Accountancy and CAC Services. O8038460036, www.innerkonsult.com

(1) (Reply)

Van Dijk Win UEFA Men's Player Of The Year Award / Scottish European L1and L2 Transfer Deadline Updates / Madagascar Football Team Cancels Match With South Africa Over Xenophobic Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.