Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

After Your Semester Abroad: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / After Your Semester Abroad: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock (240 Views)

OAU: Students Prepare For Rain Semester Examinations In Total Darkness / MAPOLY Students Protest Delay In Semester Examination / ASUU STRIKE: University Of Ibadan Terminates First Semester. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

After Your Semester Abroad: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock by Monsteristical: 2:10am On Aug 28, 2019
When searching the internet for study abroad help, you often can easily find information about how to prepare for studying abroad and the attendant culture shock of living in a foreign country for months or even years at a time. Of course this is necessary information, and it’s important that students learn about studying abroad before they begin their trip

But, I found that there’s far less information out there regarding what happens when you return home from a study abroad semester or two. You may be surprised to hear that there is actually a kind of reverse culture shock that goes with coming home from a foreign country. I wish I had learned more about this and essay help online when I came home from my semester abroad in Australia when I was in college.

So, with that in mind, I’d like to offer you a few ideas about dealing with reverse culture shock and getting back to ‘normal’ life after you come home.

You are No Longer Special

When you were abroad you no doubt experience a different kind of status. Abroad you were unique. You sort of represented your home country. Foreigners probably wanted to talk to you and ask you about your home country. You probably enjoyed this unique status.

But now you’re home, among your fellow citizens, and you no longer have that status. You are just a normal citizen. Keep this in mind, as it might be a shock to suddenly lose this status. It can hurt your self-esteem. Don’t let it. Realize that it’s all part of the shift back to your normal life.

Talk About Your Trip, but Realize Life Goes On

It’s natural to want to 2019 Waec Gce Commerce Questions and Answers{Commerce Questions and Answers]

Studying abroad by yourself is a great way to develop a strong sense of who you are and who you can become. While abroad, you build new skills, you develop new habits, and you grow in your tastes and beliefs. This is a wonderful experience, and it can really change your life.

However, when you come home, you’re entering a world that still thinks of you as the person you were before you left for your semester abroad. So you’ll want to be aware of how your new actions, beliefs, and habits affect others at home. Of course, be yourself when you get home, but be aware of what habits are affected and what are true to yourself.
Re: After Your Semester Abroad: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock by ctleurocollege: 3:57pm On Aug 28, 2019
Good topics like these should be in FP

(1) (Reply)

New And Affordable Houses To Let In AAU Ekpoma, Edo State / Ekiti State Government Spends ₦4.5B To Boost School Enrollment In 11 Months / Unilag Diploma Accommodation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.