Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,786 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Chewing Gum Really Does Help Your Ears On Airplanes. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chewing Gum Really Does Help Your Ears On Airplanes. (255 Views)

Five Habits That Will Help Your Career In 2021 / Unfollow All Celebrities On Your Social Media Page. Help your life / 5 Tools To Help Your Team Collaboration Get Better Than Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chewing Gum Really Does Help Your Ears On Airplanes. by Researchclue: 10:32am On Aug 28, 2019
CHEWING GUM REALLY DOES HELP YOUR EARS ON AIRPLANES.

Stocking up on chewing gum before a flight has become just as routine a part of flying as the TSA line or returning your seat to its upright position. But, it turns out, chewing really does help equalize the pressure in your ears (and therefore help ease that uncomfortable or painful blocked feeling).

The reason your ears “pop” on airplanes is because air is less dense at higher altitudes. As you travel higher into the air, the air pressure outside your ears drops while the air pressure inside your ears remains the same. This causes the air in your inner ear to press against your eardrum (in an attempt to escape the inner ear and equalize the pressure). One way to help equalize the pressure is to open the Eustachian tube, a small cavity in the middle ear that connects the ears to the nose and throat. You can do this by swallowing, yawning, or—you guessed it—chewing.

Re: Chewing Gum Really Does Help Your Ears On Airplanes. by Sirmuel1(m): 10:41am On Aug 28, 2019
The main thing na to land safely. Planes are like flying coffins to me. I just hate flying. embarassed
Re: Chewing Gum Really Does Help Your Ears On Airplanes. by otipoju(m): 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2019
The ear pain has made me prefer driving to flying.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Do I Do ? / Thinking Which Career Path To Follow? - What About Digital Marketing? / HOT AND INTERESTING 'insurance' Project Topics/materials For Final Year Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.