Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,267 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend (4379 Views)

NOUN Student Denied Access Into Exam Hall Over Indecent Dressing (pics/video) / UNICAL's VC Reacts To Death Of Her Student Denied Medical Care Over N200 (Pix) / How To Make Laspotech Acceptance Fee, Clearance Procedures As A New Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by jamachi(m): 2:08pm On Aug 28, 2019
A Harvard’s new student denied entry into US over social media posts by his friends
Published

A foreign student who has just been admitted to Harvard University has been denied entry into the United States over some posts traced to his social media friends.

As reported by Washington Post on Wednesday, Palestinian Ismail Ajjawi arrived at Boston Logan International Airport on Friday night, but immigration officials detained him for eight hours.
After interrogating the 17-year-old and searching his phone and computer, they revoked his visa and sent him back home
Harvard’s new student denied entry into US over social media posts by his friends
Published
A foreign student who has just been admitted to Harvard University has been denied entry into the United States over some posts traced to his social media friends.

As reported by Washington Post on Wednesday, Palestinian Ismail Ajjawi arrived at Boston Logan International Airport on Friday night, but immigration officials detained him for eight hours.

After interrogating the 17-year-old and searching his phone and computer, they revoked his visa and sent him back home.

Speaking on the incident, an immigration officer said she “found people posting political points of view that oppose the U.S.,” though she discovered nothing Ajjawi had posted himself.

Lamenting his ordeal, Ajjawi said, “After the five hours ended, she called me into a room, and she started screaming at me.

“She said that she found people posting political points of view that oppose the US on my friend[s] list.
“I responded that I have no business with such posts and that I didn’t like, share or comment on them and told her that I shouldn’t be held responsible for what others post.”

Then Ajjawi’s visa was revoked and he returned to Lebanon.
Harvard spokesman Jonathan L. Swain told the medium in an emailed statement: “The university is working closely with the student’s family and appropriate authorities to resolve this matters so that he can join his classmates in the coming days;” as classes begin September 3.
In response, spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Michael McCarthy, said the department was “responsible for ensuring the safety and admissibility of the goods and people entering the United States.”

“Applicants must demonstrate they are admissible into the U.S. by overcoming all grounds of inadmissibility, including health-related grounds, criminality, security reasons, public charge, labor certification, illegal entrants and immigration violations, documentation requirements, and miscellaneous grounds.

“This individual was deemed inadmissible to the United States based on information discovered during the CBP inspection,” he added.
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by abeniagbon(m): 5:45pm On Aug 28, 2019
Every position with his own power... once you're traveling get a new laptop a new phone even a new wears... that's the koko to avoid story that touch

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by crestedaguiyi: 7:41pm On Aug 28, 2019
abeniagbon:
Every position with his own power... once you're traveling get a new laptop a new phone even a new wears... that's the koko to avoid story that touch

Your online name and details should be different from your real ones if.you are troublesome or keep company with troublesome fellows

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by ValCon888: 8:22pm On Aug 28, 2019
There's this saying that goes thus 'show me your friends and I will tell you who you are'.
Even though he never said anything, he was incriminated by implication.
It serves him right. He has missed his chance of studying in one of the most prestigious universities in the world located in the most powerful country in the world.

1 Like

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by TSRC: 8:39pm On Aug 28, 2019
All those Russian lovers on nairaland should forget America.

5 Likes

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Benlight: 9:35pm On Aug 28, 2019
It still baffles me how those in the middle east insist you follow their culture and live strictly by what their religion says without regard for your choice or fundamental rights but insist on the same fundamental rights when they find themselves in the west.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Biritiko: 9:37pm On Aug 28, 2019
abeniagbon:
This is nonsense .

1 Like

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Biritiko: 9:39pm On Aug 28, 2019
Benlight:
It still baffles me how those in the middle east insist you follow their culture and live strictly by what their religion says without regard for your choice or fundamental rights but insist on the same fundamental rights when they find themselves in the west.
Unfortunately. You have never been to the Middle East in your whole miserable life !
But you spew trash online as if you wrote the laws of the Middle East . Dumb mofo!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by ayaside(m): 9:53pm On Aug 28, 2019
ValCon888:
There's this saying that goes thus 'show me your friends and I will tell you who you are'.
It serves him right. He has missed his chance of studying in one of the most prestigious universities in the world located in the most powerful country in the world.
Your comment is not well processed. He said he had nothing to do with it. Got bunch of friends on FB that I don't hang out with or whatever and they post stuffs. Some I had to delete and some I just scroll down. So, you say I am guilty for what they post. There is also this saying.. "A MAN is INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY". A man and not some shit your "friend" that you might not even roll with does.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by seunmohmoh(f): 10:06pm On Aug 28, 2019
Eya
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by ValCon888: 10:48pm On Aug 28, 2019
ayaside:

Your comment is not well processed. He said he had nothing to do with it. Got bunch of friends on FB that I don't hang out with or whatever and they post stuffs. Some I had to delete and some I just scroll down. So, you say I am guilty for what they post. There is also this saying.. "A MAN is INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY". A man and not some shit your "friend" that you might not even roll with does.
This is an issue that deals with American security. You think they care if you had nothing to do with it? You're funny. The fact that you have friends who post such shìt means you condone it by implication whether you hang out with them or not.
BTW, your comment is not well processed. In certain jurisdictions a man is guilty until proven innocent.
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by keryj(f): 10:53pm On Aug 28, 2019
Biritiko:

Unfortunately. You have never been to the Middle East in your whole miserable life !
But you spew trash online as if you wrote the laws of the Middle East . Dumb mofo!

Can you please state a proven fact.
Remember, am not in support or against what he has written but just wish to get the fact straightened up. We learn everyday you know kiss

2 Likes

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by geezynoni: 11:24pm On Aug 28, 2019
ValCon888:
What do you mean "it serves him right".?

2 Likes

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by PlayerMeji: 11:27pm On Aug 28, 2019
A Terrorist in the first stage of denial...
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by ValCon888: 11:43pm On Aug 28, 2019
geezynoni:

What do you mean "it serves him right".?
He didn't value the Harvard education or studying in the US. If he did, he wouldn't keep such friends.
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Kimorarh(f): 12:56am On Aug 29, 2019
jamachi:

A Harvard’s new student denied entry into US over social media posts by his friends
Published

After interrogating the 17-year-old and searching his phone and computer, they revoked his visa and sent him back home
Harvard’s new student denied entry into US over social media posts by his friends
Published

After interrogating the 17-year-old and searching his phone and computer, they revoked his visa and sent him back home.

Speaking on the incident, an immigration officer said she “found people posting political points of view that oppose the U.S.,” though she discovered nothing Ajjawi had posted himself.

Lamenting his ordeal, Ajjawi said, “After the five hours ended, she called me into a room, and she started screaming at me.

“She said that she found people posting political points of view that oppose the US on my friend[s] list.
“I responded that I have no business with such posts and that I didn’t like, share or comment on them and told her that I shouldn’t be held responsible for what others post.”

Then Ajjawi’s visa was revoked and he returned to Lebanon.
Harvard spokesman Jonathan L. Swain told the medium in an emailed statement: “The university is working closely with the student’s family and appropriate authorities to resolve this matters so that he can join his classmates in the coming days;” as classes begin September 3.
In response, spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Michael McCarthy, said the department was “responsible for ensuring the safety and admissibility of the goods and people entering the United States.”

“Applicants must demonstrate they are admissible into the U.S. by overcoming all grounds of inadmissibility, including health-related grounds, criminality, security reasons, public charge, labor certification, illegal entrants and immigration violations, documentation requirements, and miscellaneous grounds.

“This individual was deemed inadmissible to the United States based on information discovered during the CBP inspection,” he added.
thanks for this piece of information
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Nobody: 1:34am On Aug 29, 2019
TSRC:
All those Russian lovers on nairaland should forget America.

Wetin wan carry me go Amerika in the first instance? There are tens of European Countries that are far better than Amerika in all indexes.

A useless Country where 3000 of her citizens were deliberately slaughtered like cockroaches on September 911 by the government, in collaboration with the Israeli Mossad - just to brainwash the dumb citizens into establishing "The Department of Homeland & Security" through which hundreds of billions of dollars is being siphoned annually in the guise of prosecuting a fantom "War of Terror".

A cursed Country whose prospect of looting Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela and all other enemy Countries to death remains forever her core mission.

An abominable Country that parades herself as the Land of Freedom & a force for the good of mankind when she has always been a proponent of shameful miscarriage of Justice right from the inception.

A dying empire that specializes in psychological projection whereby she accuses her opponents of crimes that the United Snakes of Amerika is guilty of to the Nth degree..

A government of arrogance, hubris, hypocrisy, exceptionalism, narcissism, ignorance and paranoia ….. with nukes. grin

The best predictor of the future is past behavior.

If you want to know what Amerika and the West have in store for you, just look at what they have *already* done to Iraq, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, or even Ukraine - all nations that the self-styled leaders of the Free World have raped and ravaged.

A Roman historian once said about the Roman Empire: They create a desert and call it peace.

Today, with respect to the Amerikan Empire and her democratic allies, this should be updated as: They create a failed state and call it freedom.

The crimes of Amerika are innumerable but only few have the courage & boldness to talk about them - lest, they send the CIA (cocaine importing agency) to come & murder you & your family.

Yes! A lot of ignorant dundees are dying to travel to Amerika, but for me - sorry, I'll pass!

8 Likes

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by mejai(m): 3:19am On Aug 29, 2019
Zoharariel:

Wetin wan carry me go Amerika in the first instance? There are tens of European Countries that are far better than Amerika in all indexes.

A useless Country where 3000 of her citizens were deliberately slaughtered like cockroaches on September 911 by the government, in collaboration with the Israeli Mossad - just to brainwash the dumb citizens into establishing "The Department of Homeland & Security" through which hundreds of billions of dollars is being siphoned annually in the guise of prosecuting a fantom "War of Terrorist".

A cursed Country whose prospect of looting Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela and all other enemy Countries to death remains forever her core mission.

An abominable Country that parades herself as the Land of Freedom & a force for the good of mankind when she has always been a proponent of shameful miscarriage of Justice right from the inception.

A dying empire that specializes in psychological projection whereby she accuses her opponents of crimes that the United Snakes of Amerika is guilty of to the Nth degree..

A government of arrogance, hubris, hypocrisy, exceptionalism, narcissism, ignorance and paranoia ….. with nukes. grin

If you want to know what Amerika and the West have in store for you, just look at what they have *already* done to Iraq, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, or even Ukraine - all nations that the self-styled leaders of the Free World have raped and ravaged.

A Roman historian once said about the Roman Empire: They create a desert and call it peace.

Today, with respect to the Amerikan Empire and her democratic allies, this should be updated as: They create a failed state and call it freedom.

The crimes of Amerika are innumerable but only few have the courage & boldness to talk about them - less, they send the CIA (cocaine importing agency) to come & murder you & your family.

Yes! A lot of ignorant dundees are dying to travel to Amerika, but for me - sorry, I'll pass!
hahahaha. Bad guy. I hope they won't deny me visa someday for liking dis comment grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Martinez39(m): 7:00am On Aug 29, 2019
Benlight:
Don't mind them.
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by budaatum: 10:23am On Aug 29, 2019
Benlight:
Yet, it does not baffle you that US Immigration had no concern whatsoever for this 17 year old's "choice or fundamental rights" and "insist he follow their culture and live strictly by what" they say?

There's a word for your sort. Know what it is?
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Yusfunoble(m): 10:31am On Aug 29, 2019
budaatum:

Yet, it does not baffle you that US Immigration had no concern whatsoever for this 17 year old's "choice or fundamental rights" and "insist he follow their culture and live strictly by what" they say?

Hypodiots

1 Like

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Starboytwo(m): 10:53am On Aug 29, 2019
Good riddance

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Daviddson(m): 11:07am On Aug 29, 2019
This is very wrong! Legally and morally wrong!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by EkunKekere: 12:13pm On Aug 29, 2019
All these MOOSLIMES using funny names to hide their identity on NL. Why doesn't this one call himself by his real name like Mukaila or Kabiru? grin Which one is Britiko? Saying that one has to visit the middle east in order to experience it, is like saying that someone needs to taste SH-IT before knowing that it is bad for your health.

[img]https://images./3m59llUOB2m0WW9M2PWx2k.png[/img]

Biritiko:

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by budaatum: 11:01am On Aug 30, 2019
EkunKekere:
All these MOOSLIMES using funny names to hide their identity on NL. Why doesn't this one call himself by his real name like Mukaila or Kabiru? grin Which one is Britiko? Saying that one has to visit the middle east in order to experience it, is like saying that someone needs to taste SH-IT before knowing that it is bad for your health.

[img]https://images./ 3m59llUOB2m0WW9M2PWx2k.png[/img]

No, you don't have to taste shit to know it is bad for you, but in not tasting shit you are just speaking out of ignorance of shit without any knowledge of the shit that you speak of.

P.s. More than all Nigerian young want to migrate.
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Akious2k2(m): 5:25pm On Aug 31, 2019
Zoharariel:

A useless Country where 3000 of her citizens were deliberately slaughtered like cockroaches on September 911 by the government, in collaboration with the Israeli Mossad - just to brainwash the dumb citizens into establishing "The Department of Homeland & Security" through which hundreds of billions of dollars is being siphoned annually in the guise of prosecuting a fantom "War of Terror".

The crimes of Amerika are innumerable but only few have the courage & boldness to talk about them - lest, they send the CIA (cocaine importing agency) to come & murder you & your family.

I saw a post somewhere where a statement was issued to apologize that the accused suspect in the 9/11 wasn't the one responsible for the incident... How sad if it's true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Benlight: 11:25pm On Sep 25, 2021
Biritiko:

God forbid.
When afgans, Syrians, Iraqis, Iranians are all fleeing the middle to the West, why should I dream of going to the middle east. No peace in their countries, Western Christian countries take them in yet all they do is call them kafirs, unbelievers and seek ways to kill and cause destruction in the name of jihad. Yall need to change your ways, violent folks.
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by Benlight: 11:30pm On Sep 25, 2021
budaatum:

He should remain in his country and enjoy his sharia rights. Period
Re: Harvard’s New Student Denied Entry Into US Over Social Media Posts By His Friend by budaatum: 11:48pm On Sep 25, 2021
Benlight:

He should remain in his country and enjoy his sharia rights. Period

Maybe he should have, but he didn't. No way were some useless "friends" going to ruin his future.

A Palestinian student who was controversially denied entry to the US last month when he arrived to begin study at Harvard has now been admitted.

Ismail Ajjawi said he was barred entry after border agents questioned him for hours at Boston Airport over social media posts written by friends.

The 17-year-old was admitted on Monday just in time to start at Harvard.

The US state department announced in June that most visa applicants were being asked for social media details.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49563339

(1) (Reply)

Food Seller Runs Ma.d In UNIPORT, Confesses That He Uses His Shit To Cook / University Of Lagos Post-utme 2013/2014 - UNILAG Admission / Enquiry About London GCE Advanced And Ordinary Exams Registration In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.