Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,428 members, 7,954,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:37 AM

Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online (926 Views)

Web Developers, Please Don't Make The Mistake I Made! / 7 Reasons Why Most Nigerians Freelancers Get Lowly Paying Jobs / Don't Make This Mistake If You Are Trying To Build Your Social-media Following (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online by CrazyPros: 3:38pm On Aug 29, 2019
I mean making legitimate money online, I know this cost I'm a web developer and almost all my blogging clients pack up after a few months. I observed the same trend in other monetization methods too, like Fiverr, etc.

When I thought and reflection on this, I've come to realize two things barricading a lot of Nigerians from making bank from the internet.

I will be examining these two challenges and looking at a way out from them. Hopefully, you can pick one or two things from it.

FLAWED VALUE SYSTEM

I've discovered most Nigerians have a hard time placing value on man-hour and intellectual property. I paid over 100k to learn web development, yes I know there are free youtube videos out there, but I wanted to learn from a real live one on one teacher. I wanted to spend my hard-earned money to do that, this will help me put value to that. I observed I was more serious in my pricing and presentation of web development jobs that other skills I learned off youtube or blogs like WordPress etc.

For instance, I bought a BSO for $80 and what was delivered was this:

Here is the method...as simple as :
1- Visit: <Website Link>

2- select or search for a software to review
3- u can review even if u never used...just google for some reviews...rewrite
4- sometimes u need to take a screenshot as proof of using the app...like taking screenshot of you logged in your Gmail
5- There are 2 options to login to g2
5-1: Using a domain email(u can get a cheap domain from Namecheap and use catch-all email option, so u can create many accounts with 1 domain)
5-2: using a normal email, create a fake LinkedIn and use it to log in
6- You can get 5 cards per account
7- You get amazon cards if u use an IP where amazon is available. If not, u get a visa gift card.

That's it, aside from the link I removed, you have the same item that cost me $80. But the video below is proof of me making over $1000 from that block of text above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecdLMbIe54&t=74s

If someone gave me that free, I wouldn't even have implemented it despite knowing it may be worth something.

Reflecting on how some clients will price me for website design jobs, I noticed the same pattern, I once designed and hosted a blog, everything for N5000. Believe me, I did that, blog design, domain and hosting for N5000. And you will think people who got such huge discount will make great use of it, far be it. He abandoned the blogs in a few weeks.

In summary, what this means is that how you buy, has a long way in determining how you sell. If you think what you bought or can buy is of little or no value, it will reflect in your attitude when you want to sell and your buyers will detect that lack of value while transacting with you.

I've personally made it a point not to receive free tutorials or ebooks, I want to pay for it and if it's not worth my money, it's not valuable for me.

Do this and see how things change from now, how you change the value you have for your time and skills. Your clients and customers will notice this confidence and confirm the value of what they are buying from you.

SHATTERED REPUTATION

As one of the few persons who dare to sell and market ourselves online as Nigerians, I can tell you, it's not easy, I've seen clients disappear from me immediately I tell them I'm a Nigerian.  Not realizing this extra huddle as an internet marketer is akin to shooting yourself in the foot.

In this vein, I always put myself in the shoes of my would-be client and ask myself if I would have gone on with the deal if the tables were turned.

This is why I always make an effort to rationally provide assurance to my clients by way of making it possible that they get their money back if the deal didn't go as planned.

One way of doing this is to use freelance platforms. Like Fiverr, seoclerk, etc.

As they get to trust me and my delivery, I can diversify to other means like, directly accepting PayPal payment which they can also get refunds on if the deal doesn't go as expected.

CONCLUSION

There are many ways to make money online, be it freelancing, digital arbitrage, blogging or affiliate marketing, but you must be willing to spend real money in learning and executing these methods.

Become a member of my online coaching community, learn several ways to earn online - Contact me on WhatsApp https:///2347035002495

Source: https://newdigitaldeals.com/why-most-nigerians-dont-make-money-online/

1 Like

Re: Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:12pm On Aug 29, 2019
Thanks for sharing, Op.
Re: Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 29, 2019
Let's face it. Lack of venture capital is the biggest reason. Abroad a website van even get up to $1million (N360 million) in seed funding. But in Nigeria, mba. Well, you can still succeed in Nigeria. But it will take loads and loads of patience...
Re: Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online by CrazyPros: 10:50am On Aug 30, 2019
igbodefender:
Let's face it. Lack of venture capital is the biggest reason. Abroad a website van even get up to $1million (N360 million) in seed funding. But in Nigeria, mba. Well, you can still succeed in Nigeria. But it will take loads and loads of patience...

This is a fact, but we can't underscore the cost of launching those startups and I doubt if a website that offers value in Nigeria is built with $10,000 funds, there won't be venture capitalists interested.

It's simple, you buy cheap, you sell cheap. You built a website for 25k, how much do you want a VC to invest?

But notwithstanding, the poor startup funds can be augmented by offering real value content and consistency.
Re: Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online by CrazyPros: 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2019
Become a member of my online coaching community, learn several ways to earn online - Contact me on WhatsApp https:///2347035002495
Re: Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online by CrazyPros: 6:15pm On Dec 17, 2019
Join us today
Re: Why Most Nigerians Don't Make Money Online by CrazyPros: 11:57am On Dec 22, 2019
Join our membership site on newdigitaldeals.com

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Page Needed 30k Upward With Active Followers / ( Solution ) Google Adsense Identity Verification Fail And How To Fix It (VIDEO) / Is Google Faking Chrome Browser Usage Stats?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.