Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,758 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:59 AM

How Can I Update My Website Online - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can I Update My Website Online (780 Views)

60 Seconds HD Video To Promote Your Blog And Website Online!! Effective For SEO. / 3 Research Tools To Use Before You Make A Website Online This Morning / Macromedia Contribute: Edit Your Website Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Update My Website Online by educations: 11:11am On Oct 26, 2010
Please what Software is more better to use to update or edit a website online.
I mean HTML website. wish i would not need to use the code before i can update it online.
Please i will be glad if you can respond to this.
Re: How Can I Update My Website Online by friendehis(m): 11:51am On Oct 26, 2010
Hey thre is a misuderstanding ot terms here. If u are editing what did u use for creating ur site in the first place? and if it is online how did u get it there - the answer is simple edit using the same method of creation.

What was the process u used is uploading the files at first. use the same process to overwrite the existing files that is all. Except u need something else. I will get back
Re: How Can I Update My Website Online by Caroguama(f): 12:48pm On Oct 26, 2010
Depends on what you used in creating your website in the first place. If it was a content management system like joomla, wordpress etc. then its easy to update your site using the admin backend to log in.

Unless you outsourced your website development to a web designer. Then you should contact your web designer to put you through on updating your site's content yourself.

Cheers
Re: How Can I Update My Website Online by educations: 3:21pm On Oct 26, 2010
I have HTML flash website purchase as a website Template.
But i would like to be updating it myself since i have little knowledge of website.

The website is not Jomla or Word press.

But i have HTML WEBSITE AND FLASH WEBSITE WISH I LIKE TO UPDATE MYSELF ONLINE, BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT
Re: How Can I Update My Website Online by utimatedes(m): 4:01pm On Oct 26, 2010
You can edit your site online irrespective of the the site whether it is a Contents Management System (CMS) like Joomla, Wordpress, forum etc.

All the web hosting company including share hosting provide a platform for you to edit your pages online.
Some host include Frontpage (if you are good in using frontpage) for editing your pages and some their own site editor or some provide software for you to edit it using HTML.

You can design a custom site from the scratch directly on your server without using dreamweaver, frontpage etc on your computer before uploading it, but you have to be very good in coding if you want to add some functions like mouse over effect, onclick effect, form validation etc because these functions are not included in the software on your server for you to add those stuff.

No doubt, the best way to design a page or update/edit a page is by using software on your system and upload it to the server.

If you want to design or edit on server, you have to be very good and you just have to understand all what you are doing. if you are design directly on the server, Once you save it and save wrong thing, you can it get your former page back except what you just saved and you can't revert.

Sometime you may be lucky if your hosting company do backup your site for you automatically everyday. In that case you just need to contact them to restore your site/pages back to the former state, that is if they truly back it up for you.

To edit on the server is not a good idea because sometime you may not get it back and you have to start allover again.

If you want to edit your pages, just use FTP to download the pages from the server, edit it with frontpage, dreamweaver etc and upload it back to the server. That is the best way.

But if you are using CMS, you don't need to download, you edit it online with its contents editor.

To edit your page directly on the server, just login to your server, go to the root directory (that is www directory or public_http directory) where your file/pages are located. Select the page and click on edit and start editing. you can switch to HTML if you are conversant with it or you use What You See Is What You Get (WUSIWUG)

From what you are saying, it seem to me that you don't know much about server side. I will advise you to get your web designer to do that for you or you can get a good web designer here to do that for you. Since it is not a new design, it won't cost much fee.

I can handle that for you if you want.

I hope this help
Re: How Can I Update My Website Online by sholawah: 7:11am On Oct 28, 2010
"Suggestion" Why don't you an FTP software to download and upload your site

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have Any Idea About Auto Blogging . / Nigeria Internet Registration Agency (NIRA) Website Is Offline / Are There Nigerians Interested In Investing In Internet Startups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.