Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start (10059 Views)

6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long / 5 Typical Signs Of A Bad Airbag Sensor / 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Starter Fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Godspower35(m): 10:08am On Sep 02, 2019
Your vehicle is a vital machine because it serves your for some major purposes,when it breaks down it makes you depressed in a way.
There are many reasons why your car does not start, but some are more common than others.

Here are 5 common reasons why your car will not start:

Empty Battery

A dead battery is the most common reason your car does not start. The battery is used by the car to power the entire car and the electrical components (e.g light, radio, etc.). While the vehicle is driving, the alternator charges the battery. If the battery is not sufficiently charged, you will not be able to start the car or use any electrical components.

In a way, you can test whether the battery is the problem by starting your car directly. If the jump-starting works, it is most likely a used battery or an alternator that only has trouble charging the battery. Consider replacing the battery, cleaning the connections, or having the service performed by a technician.

Faulty Ignition switch

If you know that your battery is working properly but your car does not start the first time, there may be a problem with the ignition switch. You can try to narrow down the cause of your problem by turning on the headlights. Owing to the fact that your car's battery controls your headlights and dashboard, and if you can turn on the engine and not start, a bad ignition switch is the likely culprit.

Malfunctioning Starter

A broken starter is another common reason why your car does not start. A starter is an electric motor connected to the battery. The task is to start the engine (ie piston, crankshaft, etc.) when you turn on the ignition switch. Once the engine starts and is in motion, the work of the starter is complete. If the starter motor malfunctions, the engine will not turn properly or not at all when you turn on the ignition key. If you hear a clicking sound when you start your vehicle, a broken or weakened starter could be the reason your car does not start.

Choked Fuel filter

If your fuel filter is clogged, gasoline can not reach the engine. This makes it difficult for your car to burn the fuel it needs to start. Fuel filters should be changed every 15,000 to 20,000 kilometers. Therefore, replace the fuel filters with the next service of your car.

Empty Gas tank

You might feel a bit silly if that's why your car does not start, but it happens more often than you might think. If you drive around all the time, you can easily forget that your fuel tank needs refilling.
It is essential you take note of that.

Thanks for Viewing

Keep Enjoying ElianCars
Have a Great week ahead.
Source: http://www.eliancars.com/2019/09/5-typical-reasons-why-your-car-fails-to.html#more
[img]https://1.bp..com/-R9hB9ODWAL8/XWzW7gD7pEI/AAAAAAAACyQ/7A_p3u2SBG48FaEGpc6Uqyfzfgycnm1xACLcBGAs/s320/black%2Bman%2Bservicing.jpg[/img]

5 Likes

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by bush112(m): 12:48pm On Sep 02, 2019
Ftc for the first time since January 4 2017, baba God u too much o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by drips8(m): 12:49pm On Sep 02, 2019
No 5 should be the most obvious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Latidoh1: 12:50pm On Sep 02, 2019
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Franklyspeakin: 12:51pm On Sep 02, 2019
Faulty fuel pump too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Paroh(f): 12:51pm On Sep 02, 2019
Someone please remind me to come back and read this when I buy a car.

See my signature to order premium pocket pussy for your pleasure. Whatsapp me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Elcashy: 12:51pm On Sep 02, 2019
U no put the association of villages witches

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Rexnegro(m): 12:52pm On Sep 02, 2019
6. ignorant driver

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Chepos1(m): 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2019
Elcashy:
U no put the association of villages witches

This should be the first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Ijaya123: 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2019
Slack battery terminal

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by shaggy007(m): 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2019
Hmmmmm

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by wakes: 12:57pm On Sep 02, 2019
Godspower35:
Your vehicle is a vital machine because it serves your for some major purposes,when it breaks down it makes you depressed in a way.
There are many reasons why your car does not start, but some are more common than others.

Empty Battery

A dead battery is the most common reason your car does not start. The battery is used by the car to power the entire car and the electrical components (e.g light, radio, etc.). While the vehicle is driving, the alternator charges the battery. If the battery is not sufficiently charged, you will not be able to start the car or use any electrical components.
Bookmarked

In a way, you can test whether the battery is the problem by starting your car directly. If the jump-starting works, it is most likely a used battery or an alternator that only has trouble charging the battery. Consider replacing the battery, cleaning the connections, or having the service performed by a technician.

Faulty Ignition switch

If you know that your battery is working properly but your car does not start the first time, there may be a problem with the ignition switch. You can try to narrow down the cause of your problem by turning on the headlights. Owing to the fact that your car's battery controls your headlights and dashboard, and if you can turn on the engine and not start, a bad ignition switch is the likely culprit.

Malfunctioning Starter

A broken starter is another common reason why your car does not start. A starter is an electric motor connected to the battery. The task is to start the engine (ie piston, crankshaft, etc.) when you turn on the ignition switch. Once the engine starts and is in motion, the work of the starter is complete. If the starter motor malfunctions, the engine will not turn properly or not at all when you turn on the ignition key. If you hear a clicking sound when you start your vehicle, a broken or weakened starter could be the reason your car does not start.

Choked Fuel filter

If your fuel filter is clogged, gasoline can not reach the engine. This makes it difficult for your car to burn the fuel it needs to start. Fuel filters should be changed every 15,000 to 20,000 kilometers. Therefore, replace the fuel filters with the next service of your car.

Empty Gas tank

You might feel a bit silly if that's why your car does not start, but it happens more often than you might think. If you drive around all the time, you can easily forget that your fuel tank needs refilling.

Thanks for Viewing

Keep Enjoying ElianCars
Have a Great week ahead.
Source: http://www.eliancars.com/2019/09/5-typical-reasons-why-your-car-fails-to.html#more
[img]https://1.bp..com/-R9hB9ODWAL8/XWzW7gD7pEI/AAAAAAAACyQ/7A_p3u2SBG48FaEGpc6Uqyfzfgycnm1xACLcBGAs/s320/black%2Bman%2Bservicing.jpg[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Destined2win: 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2019
Ijaya123:
6. Slack battery terminal
This was exactly why my car didn't start yesterday until I tightened that end.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by femi4: 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2019
6. Gear not in Park positioning

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Ijaya123: 1:15pm On Sep 02, 2019
femi4:
6. Gear not in Park positioning

Not necessarily.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by orunmila144: 1:16pm On Sep 02, 2019
faulty ignition coil

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by orunmila144: 1:17pm On Sep 02, 2019
clogged fuel injector

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by AbleBeing: 1:59pm On Sep 02, 2019
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by MicroBox: 2:10pm On Sep 02, 2019
*Faulty Start relay
*Faulty loom wire
*Faulty cryFuse
*Metal mistakenly fall into oil sump
*Burnt top gasket
*Broken rocker bolt/arm
*Bad fuel pump
*Faulty fuel relay
*Bad key sensor battery
*Faulty car tracker

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Beverlyjean(f): 2:14pm On Sep 02, 2019
bush112:
Ftc for the first time since January 4 2017, baba God u too much o

Thanking God for being first to comment?? Does it come with a price?? I don't understand some peeps

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by tsavkeghps(m): 2:46pm On Sep 02, 2019
Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by id4sho(m): 2:57pm On Sep 02, 2019
Almighty Hard start

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by mcquin(m): 3:41pm On Sep 02, 2019
MicroBox:
*Faulty Start relay
*Faulty loom wire
*Faulty cryFuse
*Burnt top gasket
*Broken rocker bolt/arm
*Bad fuel pump
*Faulty fuel relay
*Bad key sensor battery
*Faulty car tracker

My man how do you know these stuff? My BMW 5series E39 has refused starting. I changed the Censor and current flows properly. There is also proper supply of fuel to the engine, but it still refuses to start. Checked up on YouTube yesterday and learnt about the fuel pump relay for the first time. Can one get that to buy? Don't blame me as I know little about cars.

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by adeblow(m): 6:36pm On Sep 02, 2019
Godspower35:

Empty Battery

Faulty Ignition switch

Malfunctioning Starter

Choked Fuel filter

Empty Gas tank

Thanks for Viewing

Keep Enjoying ElianCars
Have a Great week ahead.

How about faulty fuel pump?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by MicroBox: 7:21pm On Sep 02, 2019
mcquin:

My man how do you know these stuff? My BMW 5series E39 has refused starting. I changed the Censor and current flows properly. There is also proper supply of fuel to the engine, but it still refuses to start. Checked up on YouTube yesterday and learnt about the fuel pump relay for the first time. Can one get that to buy? Don't blame me as I know little about cars.

Thank you.
Is the engine cranking but not starting up?
If there is proper supply of petrol to your engine as you said, I believe your Stoichiometric air-fuel ratio is ok.
Then try checking spark plugs and ignition coil.
Abeg be careful of mechanic you give your car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by mcquin(m): 8:05pm On Sep 02, 2019
MicroBox:

Is the engine cranking but not starting up?
If there is proper supply of petrol to your engine as you said, I believe your Stoichiometric air-fuel ratio is ok.
Then try checking spark plugs and ignition coil.
Abeg be careful of mechanic you give your car.

Thank you my brother. I changed the original spark plugs that came in the car but discovered it isn't even spark plugs. I wouldn't know what "fuel air-ratio" meant but fuel supplies fine to the engine. Does the fuel air-ratio have any connection with fuel-pump relay?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by McTobe(m): 9:07pm On Sep 02, 2019
If your timing belt cut, sorry.
Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by Godspower35(m): 9:16pm On Sep 02, 2019
mcquin:

Thank you my brother. I changed the original spark plugs that came in the car but discovered it isn't even spark plugs. I wouldn't know what "fuel air-ratio" meant but fuel supplies fine to the engine. Does the fuel air-ratio have any connection with fuel-pump relay?

Please you can call/WhatsApp us on 08060260382
Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by larryking540: 9:55pm On Sep 02, 2019
Ijaya123:
Slack battery terminal
dats what am experiencing right now,
and it is caused when u are fond of removing your battery all the time, probably because the environment where the car is packed isn't safe
Re: 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start by 3kay945(m): 10:04pm On Sep 02, 2019
MicroBox:
*Faulty Start relay
*Faulty loom wire
*Faulty cryFuse
*Burnt top gasket
*Broken rocker bolt/arm
*Bad fuel pump
*Faulty fuel relay
*Bad key sensor battery
*Faulty car tracker

Very good jare. There is also one sensor under the alternator or close to the serpentine belt of rav4,.2002/03 If it is dirty or faulty, the car wont start o. It showed me pepper few years ago.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Car Remote Key Complains / Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) / Tips To Note When A Car Overheats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.