Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading (33338 Views)

Tuition Fee Hike: OSPOLY Reveals Next Move As Students Refuse To Pay / Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC / "Snake Swallowed Our School Fees": Benue State University Students Protest (Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Dreamville: 9:47pm On Sep 02, 2019
zutu:
4 point grade system means .. E is fail, D= 1, C= 2, B= 3 A = 4 ... That means the students will have to read more harder this time.. Cos pass starts from 45 marks. grin
NSUK use 5 point scale with the same gradings E is fail D=2 C=3 B=4 A=5 and pass starts from 45

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by chigbo25: 9:51pm On Sep 02, 2019
This people are not well, whether 4.0 or 5.0 it same thing, unless there is something else behind it
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by simeone007: 10:07pm On Sep 02, 2019
Lol when my school na 4.5 to .5.0 see Mumu school
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by AJ10(m): 10:15pm On Sep 02, 2019
kinzation:
Stupid and lazy students.
where my Alma mata (The Polytechnic Ibadan) is using 5.0 as CGPA

they should go and sit their ass down and read

TPI The Polytechnic of Ibadan is now using 4.0 as CGPA for fresher starting from 2018/2019 session... both stalite are to use the 5.0 grade system till they graduate
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by sirqeeboi(m): 10:53pm On Sep 02, 2019
Meritocracy:
They are all educated illiterate, isn't not the same thing. 70mark is 4point or 5point what's their problem. What of if they move 4point or 5point to 75 like Yabatech standard. Lazy youth everywhere.

NBTE standard all poly use 75 as 4point
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by kinzation(m): 11:08pm On Sep 02, 2019
AJ10:

TPI The Polytechnic of Ibadan is now using 4.0 as CGPA for fresher starting from 2018/2019 session... both stalite are to use the 5.0 grade system till they graduate
I graduated 2017. then ,5.00 was what they were using.

things have changed.
had a 3.48 and was still angry at myself
why some people dey protests
imagine
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Premiumwriter: 11:32pm On Sep 02, 2019
Banee:
So a 2:1 student of OAU na first class for Benue state university?Na wa ooo.Same Nigeria market ooo.Great ife for life.
wat's dis one saying exactly
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Premiumwriter: 11:38pm On Sep 02, 2019
israelmao:
It like setting a unique standard but the lazy drones don't like it.
it's not about that. Most people recognize the 5 point grading which is easier compared to 4 point. But during scholarship application the same students will still be at a disadvantage.

I once saw a student with 3.81, first class under the 4 point enclosing 4 point grade system within his application so he wouldn't be misunderstood.

The problem is not with the grading system. It lies in what people are familiar with.

And not to talk about been harder to pass. In 5 point if you have 40, you get your D but in 4 point if you get the same 40 you get a carry over. You need 45 to get a pass

So tell me why shouldn't they protest when they have to work harder and still be at a disadvantage?

2 Likes

Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Fariq: 1:05am On Sep 03, 2019
Meritocracy:
They are all educated illiterate, isn't not the same thing. 70mark is 4point or 5point what's their problem. What of if they move 4point or 5point to 75 like Yabatech standard. Lazy youth everywhere.

They are not educated illiterate. Better cool your mind and understand the implication of 4. point scale.

3.5 is upper in 5. scale.

But 2.5 is lower in 4. scale.

1 Like

Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Fariq: 1:10am On Sep 03, 2019
chigbo25:
This people are not well, whether 4.0 or 5.0 it same thing, unless there is something else behind it

It's not sir.
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Haylizz: 1:29am On Sep 03, 2019
Dudeweedlmao:
Is 4.0 cgpa difficult?
very difficult, no E, after D na F, so 44 is F

1 Like

Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Fariq: 1:41am On Sep 03, 2019
Haylizz:

very difficult, no E, after D na F, so 44 is F

Even in 5 point it's samething. No E. 45 is the pass mark.
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by pfadom: 2:51am On Sep 03, 2019
Are these genuine students? NUC wants 3rd Class to be the minimum class of grade.
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 03, 2019
Premiumwriter:
wat's dis one saying exactly
That which your brain can not comprehend.
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Premiumwriter: 7:13am On Sep 03, 2019
Banee:

That which your brain can not comprehend.
very dry

Of all your 'great ife' brain you can't even comprehend the implications of a 4 point grading system and typing trash up and down.

A 5 point is like an inflation compared to the 4 point. In fact, those students work '5 marks' for each course harder than you do to get the same results.

So what's so great about ife?
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by jackals(f): 7:51am On Sep 03, 2019
stevespack:
Please house I need work I live in Ojo area please help a brother thank you.

Which kind of job, I also live in ojoo area. Can you cook and attend to my needs?
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by stevespack(m): 7:59am On Sep 03, 2019
jackals:

Which kind of job, I also live in ojoo area. Can you cook and attend to my needs?
Sure I can do that
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by thatigboman: 8:07am On Sep 03, 2019
xeeco:
Is that NUC standard for all Nigeria universities? 4point grading system is totally alien to university system only Polytechnic runs on 4points. One of the repercussions of 4point system may require that you have to do PGD even with your first class before you are able to go for a Master degree program in another University, the degree may suffer like HND/ degree discrepancy. The management should reverse their shallow minded decision ASAP as this is unnecessary and a time wastage on the students academic programs.
u don start. How exactly will a 4 point system require u to do PGD. In ur transcript, the grading system will be explained
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by thatigboman: 8:08am On Sep 03, 2019
pfadom:
Are these genuine students? NUC wants 3rd Class to be the minimum class of grade.
no. 0-1 nko?
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by thatigboman: 8:11am On Sep 03, 2019
Premiumwriter:
it's not about that. Most people recognize the 5 point grading which is easier compared to 4 point. But during scholarship application the same students will still be at a disadvantage.

I once saw a student with 3.81, first class under the 4 point enclosing 4 point grade system within his application so he wouldn't be misunderstood.

The problem is not with the grading system. It lies in what people are familiar with.

And not to talk about been harder to pass. In 5 point if you have 40, you get your D but in 4 point if you get the same 40 you get a carry over. You need 45 to get a pass

So tell me why shouldn't they protest when they have to work harder and still be at a disadvantage?
big lie. In CV and cover letter, u write ur grade; first class, 2nd class upper etc.
To further ur education, ur university sends ur transcript to the school u applied for. And they will see the grading system used
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by elisbabs499(m): 8:26am On Sep 03, 2019
Imagine! Later all these olodos will be claiming one super B.Sc. During my days in the Polytechnic, we used 4.00 grading system and before you can earn the 4points, you must score 80. Anything below 2.50 is pass. Which is as good as nothing. You cannot be awarded a certificate if you don't make 2.0
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 03, 2019
Premiumwriter:
very dry

Of all your 'great ife' brain you can't even comprehend the implications of a 4 point grading system and typing trash up and down.

A 5 point is like an inflation compared to the 4 point. In fact, those students work '5 marks' for each course harder than you do to get the same results.

So what's so great about ife?
How will you know what is great about ife,,when you are a product of Unipetrol.
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Premiumwriter: 9:11am On Sep 03, 2019
Banee:

How will you know what is great about ife,,when you are a product of Unipetrol.
very funny

A product of 'great ife' can't even argue constructively.

You guys keep hyping yourself from thread to thread with nothing to show for it. It's frustrating for us the readers.
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Premiumwriter: 9:12am On Sep 03, 2019
thatigboman:
big lie. In CV and cover letter, u write ur grade; first class, 2nd class upper etc.
To further ur education, ur university sends ur transcript to the school u applied for. And they will see the grading system used
abeg you fit shift small make I breathe well?

Thank you
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Solidarity9490(m): 9:57am On Sep 03, 2019
ynglukas:
using that grade point is bs, 5.0 is what's mostly used internationally

don't know why this writers makes things unnecessarily difficult, just say 'connected'

Exactly!

Rather than writing "connected", the writer chose to confuse readers with " not unconnected".
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 03, 2019
Premiumwriter:
very funny

A product of 'great ife' can't even argue constructively.

You guys keep hyping yourself from thread to thread with nothing to show for it. It's frustrating for us the readers.
when intellect is required,your indomie brain is incapable of functioning.next time,ask for advice before typing.
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Premiumwriter: 11:15am On Sep 03, 2019
Banee:

when intellect is required,your indomie brain is incapable of functioning.next time,ask for advice before typing.
still couldn't argue with facts

Insults and more insults. Argumentum ad hominem
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by chigbo25: 1:15pm On Sep 03, 2019
Fariq:

It's not sir.
please can you explain to me how it not. Because in 4gdp A is 4 point and in 5gdp A is 5 point
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by Fariq: 1:32pm On Sep 03, 2019
chigbo25:
please can you explain to me how it not. Because in 4gdp A is 4 point and in 5gdp A is 5 point

Ok let me tell you where the issue is. It's not the matter of grading but rather the issue of class of degree.

4.50 to 5.00 is first class in five scale while 3.50 to 4.00 is first class in four scale (no issue in first class)

3.50 to 4.49 is second upper in five scale while 3.00 to 3.49 is upper in four scale. (Rather than it to be 2.50 to 3.49)

Similarly, 2.50 to 3.49 is second lower in five points while it's 2.00 to 2.99 in four points scale.

Example you have we have same grade, yours in five points and mine in 4.

Let's assume you have 3.99 (which is upper) and I have corresponding 2.99 in 4. Scale (it's lower in my case.)

A difference of 0.5

1 Like

Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by AnointedFingers(m): 2:49pm On Sep 03, 2019
I graduated from Kwara State University and a 4 point grade system is used there. If what is seen on the above cardboard is true, [s]then, the students are at an advantage. The picture shows the direct conversion from 5 point scale to a 4 point scale.

If the cardboard inscription is what the school management wants to change the CGPA grading system to, it is more beneficial to the students. It's just simple mathematics.
[/s]
PS: The grading system in the picture is what KWASU used and still uses.

On a closer scrutiny, students are more advantaged to attain the first class grade but less advantaged to attain the second class upper degree. All the equality meant for the second class upper has been leached down to the second class lower category. there is also a disadvantage on the third class category.

Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by herbegail(f): 4:02pm On Sep 03, 2019
all dis student funny ohhhh u guys are complaining of 4point scale.......lautech wey dey use 5point scale kohhhhh.....oga nah 4.5-5.0 be first class for myskull and u guys are still complaining on 4point scale una first class nah from 3.5 and u guys are protesting.......lazy and unserious youth nonsense
Re: Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading by herbegail(f): 4:08pm On Sep 03, 2019
AnointedFingers:
I graduated from Kwara State University and a 4 point grade system is used there. If what is seen on the above cardboard is true, [s]then, the students are at an advantage. The picture shows the direct conversion from 5 point scale to a 4 point scale.

If the cardboard inscription is what the school management wants to change the CGPA grading system to, it is more beneficial to the students. It's just simple mathematics.
[/s]
PS: The grading system in the picture is what KWASU used and still uses.

On a closer scrutiny, students are more advantaged to attain the first class grade but less advantaged to attain the second class upper degree. All the equality meant for the second class upper has been leached down to the second class lower category. there is also a disadvantage on the third class category.
ur skull nice ohhhh my skull nah 5point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Characteristics Of Living Things (mr Niger D) / ASUU Faults Netherlands For Rejecting Nigeria Degrees & Accepting Ghana Degrees / 'End ASUU Strike' Protest Rocks Makurdi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.