Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:24 PM

Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know (34573 Views)

₦205.19 Billion Debt: Ihedioha Condemns Uzodinma’s Unbridled Borrowing / Senate To Investigate Illegal Exportation Of Gold Worth $9 Billion Yearly / $9.6bn Judgment: FG Pays £250,000 Cost To P&ID (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by Fidelismaria: 12:11pm On Sep 04, 2019
Shoodboi:

Yes.

In civil cases, the defendant can lose a lawsuit for not appearing in court because his nonappearance will be considered an acceptance of guilt.

In criminal cases, the judge would adjourn the case and request that the police provide the defendant on the adjourned date.

The defendant would be charged with contempt of court on top of their initial charge.

On the other one, I wouldn't provide lawyers either if I were president either.

Nigeria is a sovereign nation and providing lawyers to represent us in another court will automatically mean we recognise the court.

I believe this is why Jonathan and Buhari refused to honour the courts.

Will US and UK provide lawyers to represent them in our courts if it happened the other way round?

The answer is definitely a no.

But we messed up seriously.

Jonathan and Buhari should have investigated the details of the contract even if they both believed it was rife with fraud.

They didn't. And both just kept on pretending like nothing important was happening.

Thanks so much

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by Realist1(m): 12:12pm On Sep 04, 2019
OP I have to give you a round of applause for this.Even a primary school pupil will understand this write up.It's so easy to understand.
Now to the matter,this is a very serious issue all hands must be on deck to solve this issue.We must not pay that whole money rather renegotiate with them.How can a shell company come and run down a whole country? I even saw on paper that france is preparing to slap about $2. Something billion fine on us again.If they win every small company we have ever had issues with will want to pass thesame route to exploit us.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by Ajibade123(m): 12:56pm On Sep 04, 2019
sometimes I wonder if this country did not have competent financial advisors or economist

anyway see how you can overcome financial problems in business
https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-overcome-financial-problems-in-business/
Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by wizzprince(m): 12:58pm On Sep 04, 2019
I almost didn't want to open this thread

But no regret that i finally did

As simple as ABC

I HOPE the author of this article is working where his/her talent is needed and appreciated

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by adanny01(m): 5:11pm On Sep 04, 2019
Shoodboi:

No. I didn't delve into politics.

I did my very best to make sure I present the entire issue without supporting any side over the other.

I just wanted to present the whole issue as it is.

I actually started writing the article with the intention of exposing P&ID as a fraud until I realised it was probably not a fraud.

What we have here is a deal gone bad. One which every government from Yar'adua down to Buhari handled terribly.

Your post is one of the most captivating and educative post i have read on Nairaland.

However, this thing happened during the tenure of 3 presidents out of which you stated how the cabal of Yaradua was probably complicit, how GEJ only negotiated an out of court settlement at the twilight of his tenure then couldn't have paid. When it came to Buhari's turn, you portrayed him a weak and slow president. Most of the things you said about the Buhari had little or no direct link to the subject.

Am talking about this part of your post.

Why didn’t Buhari just pay?

Buhari is infamous for four terrible things:

1. Running a country into a recession within a short period.
2. Leaving the country for long periods of time.
3. Flouting agreements and court orders.
4. Delaying in appointing ministers.
All four got him into the current mess with P&ID.

Prove it…

The then General Buhari ran Nigeria into a recession during his one year and eight month long tenure that lasted from December 31, 1983 to August 27, 1985.

He ran Nigeria into a second recession soon after he became president in 2015. This one lasted from 2016 until 2017.

Experts say he will lead Nigeria into a third recession from mid-2020 until 2021.

Buhari was slow in appointing ministers after he was elected president in 2015 and 2019.

He took six months to appoint ministers in 2015 and three months in 2019.

The 2019 appointments could be considered six months if we count from February when he won the polls.

(Buhari was sworn in as president on May 29th in both instances.)

In 2015, Buhari only appointed Abubakar Malami as Attorney General and Minister of Justice on November 11.

On July 17, 2015, two months after Buhari became president, an arbitration tribunal in the UK upheld the $6.6 billion March 2013 judgment against Nigeria.

Nigeria was minister-less at the time.

Buhari is also in the habit of leaving the country for long periods of time to receive medical treatment in the UK.

In 2017, he even spent four months in the UK — at a single stretch.

Sometimes, he did not even bother handing over to Osinbajo before leaving.

Even when he handed over, the Aso Rock cabal still bypassed Osinbajo and flew documents to Buhari to sign while he was still receiving treatment in the UK.

This was what they did with Yar’Adua.

The public soon found out, causing Buhari to tell members of the cabal to direct all official documents to Osinbajo.

Let’s not talk about that part where Buhari disobeys court orders and agreements.

You didn't expect Buhari to become president and in 2months he pays off $850m out of court settlement arranged by his predecessor. I wouldn't do that, am sure you wouldn't do that either.

You said all 4 got him into the mess with P&ID, when Nigeria's recession actually started in 2014 with a 60% fall in crude oil price which directly meant Nigeria's revenue dropped by 60% plus with an already depleted foreign reserve. Nigeria's recession was totally inevitable. Ministers are policy enforcers of the Executive, is the P&ID issue a policy issue such that an acting minister (Perm sec couldn't handle? Delay in appointment of ministers couldn't have been a reason for the predicament. Flauting agreements and court orders statement is highly a political statement and has no direct link to the P&ID issue.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by AbuAeesha: 5:26pm On Sep 04, 2019
the government should revive the deal with P&ID,if possible that's the only option that will benefit us
Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by AbuAeesha: 5:28pm On Sep 04, 2019
Shoodboi:

This post is not about politics or whatever. It is not about Buhari and Jonathan or whatever.

It's just to allow people (Nigerians) understand what really happened. You can add more information that you know.

We'll be screwed if P&ID gets that money. All of us. From the pro-Buhari supporters to the pro-Jonathan supporters.

the government should revive the deal with P&ID,if
possible that's the only option that will benefit us
Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by wirinet(m): 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2019
AbuAeesha:

the government should revive the deal with P&ID,if
possible that's the only option that will benefit us
The deal was not practicable or feasible in the first place.
Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by coolk(m): 7:30pm On Sep 04, 2019
Shoodboi:
[b]
I'm Very Impressed. Terrific Article. You are on my list now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by sevenhundred(m): 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2019
alezzy13:
Quite an exhaustive read. Probably the best, unbiased rendition the ill-fated deal I've come across.

While the PMB and GEJ camp (yes, including their noisy minions here on NL) continue to trade blame, the fact remains BOTH leaders goofed terribly and PID exploited us the fullest.
am happy because nobody blame obasanjo, for Nigeria woe after he left office for the first time!!!!!
Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by onpoint69(m): 7:12am On Sep 06, 2019
Nigeria got played by an international yahoo yahoo group (P&ID)
Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by integritylady(f): 8:04pm On Sep 08, 2019
things dey happen for Nigeria ooo. na wetin you know you know

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by Basher8583: 9:56am On Sep 29, 2019
Shoodboi:

This post is not about politics or whatever. It is not about Buhari and Jonathan or whatever.

It's just to allow people (Nigerians) understand what really happened. You can add more information that you know.

We'll be screwed if P&ID gets that money. All of us. From the pro-Buhari supporters to the pro-Jonathan supporters.

It's not about politics but you wrote many lies against buhari like the quoted below:
"Sometimes, he did not even bother handing over to Osinbajo before leaving.
Even when he handed over, the Aso Rock cabal still bypassed Osinbajo and flew documents to Buhari to sign while he was still receiving treatment in the UK."

If there was one thing gotten right by this government it was the apt synergy between the President and Vice. Buhari never left office without handing over to Osinbajo.

You also mentioned that Buhari put the country in recession.... C'mon. Even a pry4 student knows this was a lie.
But why would you say so if politics was not involved.

Did you notice you never blamed GEJ even for his stupid action of setting buhari up with $800million out of court settlement.
So why all this distractions if politics not invovled

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $9 Billion Debt To P&ID: Everything You Need To Know by SouthSouth1914: 11:34am On Sep 29, 2019
This sums everything!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tension In Abuja Over Hundreds Of Migrating Herders From Niger republic / GEJ Should Be Impeached - LA Times Joel Brinkley / How Osinbajo Will Declare His 2023 Ambition - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.