Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,815 members, 7,956,081 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:54 AM

Pure Drinking Water - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pure Drinking Water (2244 Views)

15 Health Benefits Of Drinking Water More / How To Make Your Own Pure Drinking Water (save 80% Spent On Bottle/sachet Water) / Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pure Drinking Water by ToToChoper: 5:20pm On May 16, 2007
One of the problems Nigerians at large are currently facing is obtaining pure drinking water.
Some of our water sources include bore holes, wells, streams and tap (which is ocassional typhoid infested).

To drink water that is free of germs, you can drink just pure bottled water, which is supposed to be devoid of any kind of microscopic organisms. You could also boil the water. This works because most microbes cannot survive at the boiling point of water ( thermophiles can)

The problem with these methods is that they are expensive for the common man, and time-consuming to produce.

Do you all have any suggestions?

I heard of a project imploying the use of UV rays on water.
Re: Pure Drinking Water by Seun(m): 5:41pm On May 16, 2007
I think boiling is ok. If you have a gas cooker, you can boil your drinking water cheaply. It's only 8 glasses a day!

It also depends on where people get their water from. Water from from a deep well or borehole won't need much treatment. Anyway, here's a page on water purification: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification
Re: Pure Drinking Water by ToToChoper: 7:17pm On May 16, 2007
@Seun, according to the directed page on wiki, boiling doesn't cut it
Besides that, only God knows where the water is percolating from.
Here is what it states:

Boiling: Water is heated hot enough and long enough to inactivate or kill micro-organisms that NORMALLY live in water AT ROOM TEMPERATURE,  In areas where the water is "hard" (that is, containing significant dissolved calcium salts), boiling decomposes the bicarbonate ions, resulting in PARTIAL precipitation as calcium carbonate. This is the "fur" that builds up on kettle elements, etc., in hard water areas.

With the exception of calcium, boiling DOES NOT REMOVE SOLUTES of higher boiling point than water and in fact INCREASES their concentration (due to some water being lost as vapour). Boiling does not leave a residual disinfectant in the water. Therefore, water that has been boiled and then stored for any length of time may have acquired new pathogens.

As for me, I'll go for chlorinated (and fluoridated water) boiled water over just boiled water.

The water treated with UV rays i heard is a new project in water purification in developed countries. It supposedly destroys the DNA in microbes killing the pathogen. I'm not too sure about it though because exposure of certain chemicals to UV rays triggers a reaction, (wont want that for drinking water).

Anyway, all in all, na God dey save us for this country.
Re: Pure Drinking Water by cuteass1(f): 12:11am On May 17, 2007
@ topic

Well atually, i agree with Seun, when i was in naija what we did was boil and filter, and the water did us just fine.

On the other hand, in secondary school other girls drank from the school's bore-hole (this is water that is so so impure, when you've let the water stand for a day, you see oil-like substance floating over it) but they drank it and they were fine

Not to talk of boiling the water and filtering afterwards, nothing in life is most secure so we just have to live with whatever we find availabe, I'm sure  the people in the village drink whatever water that comes their way, and they're all healthy wink Not everybody is rich enough to live on bottled water you know, all hands aren't equal sad Even most of these "pure" waters aren't safe sad

And for the records (Sorry londoners) London's water isn't anything to brag about either, their water is as contaminated too, but they're all drinking from their taps and living happily, I know this Cos when i and my cousin are travelling from Norway to London, we always travel with bottled water from Norway (who on the other hand has one of the cleanest waters in the whole world), even to brush our teeth, we use bottled water

Cos anything less is trouble for our system. So different strokes for different folks, some are sensitive, some aren't. Just work with anything that works for you!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Pure Drinking Water by efuah(f): 12:22pm On May 18, 2007
boil and filter = Best
Re: Pure Drinking Water by Danielqwer: 8:04am On Feb 13, 2011
www.nwsnigeria.com, Nordic water has a water purification system developed to produce drinking water from water sources with poor quality.

The purifications system removes:

1. bad smell

2. bad taste

3. bothersome colour

4. dangerous chemicals

5. some heavy metals like lead & iron

6. 99.99% of pathogenic bateria (E.coli, salmonella, legionella, cholera, shigella, typhoid)

7. 99.99% of parasites (cryptosporidium, giardia)

8. 97% chlorine

9. 99.7% turbidity

10. particles

11. humus.

For a demo contact 08023305728 / 07090039966 (Lagos)

(1) (Reply)

28-day Body Transformation!!! Lose Weight And Belly Fat On A Nigerian Diet. / Discover The Medicina Importance Of Terminalia Catappa / Advantages Of Hand-washing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.