Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,961 members, 7,814,254 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

White Man In Town (chapter Twenty Four) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / White Man In Town (chapter Twenty Four) (270 Views)

The Suave Man In Lagos Drives A Range Rover But Is Penniless- Chimamanda Adichie / White Man In Town / The Woman Caught Breastfeeding Man In Prison. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

White Man In Town (chapter Twenty Four) by DODO005: 12:24pm On Sep 03, 2019
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Colour sauntered into the cosmic lawn of the Mercury Hotel at exactly twelve minutes before his scheduled appointment with Ken Solomon at the popular African Kitchen. It was a breezy Saturday with various commuters mingling around. He took his time window shopping and feeding his eyes with the beauty and shapes of some of the women in gorgeous dresses as they clung into their purchases with excited giggles. He paused by one of the boutique across the lobby and gawked admiringly at some shirts, shoes and jeans, his mind wondering when he could one day afford to come shopping in such a place. He grimaced as his eyes stared dumbfounded at the price tag of one of the shirts on display: N25, 000. He stared thoughtfully at the shirt and concluded after some mental calculation that it would take him roughly five months if he were to save N500 every month to be able to afford the shirt. He grinned at the sales girl from his position and sauntered away to feed his eyes on other items on display in the other shops close by.

He stepped into the African Kitchen precisely at one minutes to two, and scanned the furnished African setting cautiously. He noted that the place was beginning to bubble with various guests, mostly whites, their black girls, and other rich Nigerians who could afford to come for plate of hot African dish like Amala, Tuwo, esi-ewu and other mouthwatering African cuisines. He was actually surprised when Ken Solomon in his witty tone had first suggested the place.

“I believe you will enjoy the food in the African kitchen as an African. I have been inside myself. I like the name, food and setting” He had told him amidst laughter. And Colour was quite surprised when he sighted him on a far table alone, already munching away at a goat head pepe soup.

“Here you are. Please take a seat and join me. Sorry, I have a long habit of waiting at a venue few minutes before the appointed time.” He said, indicating a seat close to him.

“ I can see that. Hope you are enjoying the goat head?” Colour asked, his eyes taking on the spicy meat.

“ Quite interesting. I have always loved to eat pepe. And I tell you, this one is hot.” He said and then sleazed loudly.

“ Take it easy. There is a rule that you don’t talk while you eat pepe.” Colour advised him as a waiter walked up to their table.

“Please, take his order” KS told the waiter as he took a bite.

“Amala, okro soup and dry fish,” Colour told the smiling waiter.

“Okay, sir. What about drink?”

“ Give me a chilled bottle of Amstel Malt.”

“ Okay, sir.” The waiter replied and made to go.

“ Just a minute. Give me the same order, I mean the ama-la, and a bottle of Stout.” Ken Solomon said smiling up at both of them.

“ Very well, sir.” The waiter replied and drifted away with a wide grin on his face.

Thirty minutes later, after a hot meal of amala and few bottles of Amstel Malt, including some couple of Guinness Stout , Ken Solomon and Colour, relaxed back on their seats and both lit a stick of cigarette and then stared silently at each other.

“ Hope you enjoyed your meal. For me it was one of the best experiences so far. I love African food, spicy and oily.” KS admitted with a satisfied smile.

“ Well, not bad. But, wait till you taste the original Mama-Put. All the same, thanks for the lunch.” Colour told him with a grin.

“Really. Mama-Put, is that another Kitchen?”

“ Yes, something like a local kitchen where you line up with your plate in your hand.”

“Wow! That would be fun.” KS responded, his eyes staring admiringly at two ladies who had just finished their meal and were on their way out.

“Beautiful women, or what do you think Colour? He asked addressing the silent looking Colour with his name for the first time.

“Yes, I agree with you, beautiful women. We have them plenty here.” Colour replied, also staring at the two girls in African print.

“So, Mr. Edward, What exactly do you want from me?” He chipped in as the two ladies disappeared out of sight.

Ken Solomon stared thoughtfully at him for some seconds picking his teeth and then finally took a sip at his drink.

“I want to know more about Naija-Phones and those behind it.” He announced slowly with a grin.

“Excuse me?” Colour stared questionably at him.

“Okay, what do you know about a telecommunication company here that goes by the name Naija- Phones?”
KS asked after staring thoughtfully at him and his blue eyes pieced into Colour, whose brown eyes stared back at him without wavering.

“Nothing” Colour replied and also picked his teeth.

“Alright, let me tell you. First, my real name is Kenneth Edward Solomon,” KS continued. He stared once more thoughtfully at him and then finally opened up and clinically narrated everything to him from the beginning.

www.okadabooks.com
www.amazon.com

(1) (Reply)

Colourless Rainbow - Episode 10 / Stay Happy To Be Productive / The Ancestral Arrow (part 5)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.