Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? (1338 Views)

I Need Nokia 5800 To Buy Second Hand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by ogogoro: 9:08pm On May 16, 2007
Because they are cheaper

Well, how about buying manufacturer-refurbished laptops from Canada. (Not the ones that have nearly given up the ghost that they send to Nigeria to bury!)

I found out about this after searching and searching for an affordable, yet reasonably competent laptop for my Uni work. I reasoned that afterall we students aren't that wealthy, so how can every body have one of these expensive things? Well, someone introduced me to a company where I got a good deal for a refurb laptop and I thought "If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for every Nigerian!" (So here I am!!)

My friend and I set up this company to help Nigerians in Nigeria buy affordable wholesale stock from Canada. (Partly because that's where we are based, partly because we don't believe in sub-standards - anything good enough for the Canadian market is good enough for Nigerians too!). Basically, this is one of our grand ideas to tackle 419. (See : http://awoof./2007/03/10/i-can-end-nigerias-fraud-problem/)

On second thoughts, maybe I should split this post in 2.This is an advert, let's keep it that way. This is an example of the sorts of laptops we get in. This is an Acer listed for =N=95,000. If any buyer mentions "Nairaland" when ordering, we will do it for =N=93,000. How about that?

Intel Celeron M Processor 420 1.6GHz
533MHz FSB
1MB Cache
512MB RAM
80GB Hard Drive
Dual Layer DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
14.1" Widescreen TFT Display
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
224MB Intel GMA 950 Shared Graphics
Wireless enabled
TV-Out (Plug your laptop into a TV to watch DVDs)
14.1" WXGA screen
3 USB connections

Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by Seun(m): 5:45am On May 17, 2007
Thanks. Seems like a nice system, but how is the battery life?
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by Enyola(m): 1:02pm On May 17, 2007
sounds goood
where are you located
how tru is this and whats the guarantee level
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by neroflick(m): 9:33pm On May 17, 2007
Is the listed laptop a refurb? It had better be brand new , cos the same specs (brand new) goes for 100k @ Park 'n' Shop, here in Port Harcourt. A friend bought one just last week. His was even 15.4".
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by Seun(m): 9:37pm On May 17, 2007
It's a refurnished laptop. It says so in his first post.
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by texazzpete(m): 10:00pm On May 17, 2007
@Poster
you're trying to sell a Celeron M laptop for 95K, and a refurbished one at that?!
I strongly advice anyone interested in buying this to stay away. There are loads better deals on NL
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by ogogoro: 3:25am On May 18, 2007
texazzpete:

@Poster
you're trying to sell a Celeron M laptop for 95K, and a refurbished one at that?!
I strongly advice anyone interested in buying this to stay away. There are loads better deals on Nairaland

Easy with the skepticism, Mister. The above laptop actually costs =N=80,000 in naira and the extra =N=15,000 goes towards shipping costs to Lagos. If you can come and collect it, shipping is free.

We do get new laptops too, if that's what rocks your boat. For example : A Packard Bell with the following specs - Intel Celeron M410 Processor 1.46GHz, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, DVD Rewriter Drive, 15.4" Widescreen Display, Genuine MS Windows Vista Basic for 115K.

With ours comes a 1-year warranty, therefore if the laptops break down within a year, you can send them back to the manufacturer for free repairs (Just send it to us and we take care of the rest). If they cannot be repaired, then the manufacturer gives you a new one. - All you pay for is the cost of shipping and with EMS low tarriffs (http://www.emsng.com/tariff-ems.htm), I'm sure that would cost less, and be more secure than giving it to a laptop mechanic in your area.

@neroflick - Good luck to your friend, I'm happy for him. (How come everyone isn't shopping at Park and Shop then?)

@Seun - The battery life is 2.5 hours

@Enyola - Do you mean the guarantee about my authenticity or about the laptop? If it's my authenticity, then I guess I can only vouch for myself. I can't "swear to God, I'm not a scammer etc" but I could give you a call. If I do though, that would only prove that I'm in the UK. Therefore I guess you'll have to make up your mind for yourself on that. If it's for the laptop, then it comes with a warranty with which you could get it fixed for free for a year if anything goes wrong.
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by Enyola(m): 8:19pm On Jun 02, 2007
I think the price is not so good, and also either you c all me from kutuwengi or ibejuleki will not confirm your authencity
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by ogogoro: 12:24am On Jun 06, 2007
Yes, I know that if I call you from Kutuwengi, it would not confirm my identity hence I said you would have to make up your own mind for yourself.
Re: Why Settle For Second-hand Laptops? by Lovethis(f): 4:13pm On Jun 13, 2007
You can get acer,
Intel celeron M processor 520
Windows vista home basic
512mb DDR2 memory
80gb hard drive
dvd/cd-rw combo drive
brand new from me for N120,000. But i have not shipped it yet to naija. right now, this is what i have in naija:

Toshiba Satellite - brand new, American spec
Intel (R) Celeron M CPU 430, 1.6GHz
Windows XP home and windows vista capable
80gb of hard drive (5400rpm)
512 mb
14.1" widescreen monitor
DVD/CD - RW drive
Wireless LAN
WIFI certified
N125,000

(1) (Reply)

Buy High Quality Laptops With No Initial Down Payment , Call 07034774653 / Gateway M-series Laptop For Sale (abuja) / Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i, Google G1 Phone, 8gb Itouch All For Sale!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.